Job Search Reflections 2022

Started by agolden1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Agree except bottom tier law schools are different in that all you need is a classroom and a few faculty , so relatively easy to start a law school for profit, which is why there are so many bottom tier law schools.

Requires much more facilities, clinics, diverse faculty etc, to run a medical school , and to a lesser degree, a dental school.
Well there are also a number of very questionable off shore/caribbean/foreign med schools
 
nobody paid for my flight.....or rent-a-car. I think they paid for my hotel which was nothing fancy. Of course they paid for a dinner meeting. Why would they pay for a flight if you might not even make the trip, or you might change it and go to Vegas?
 
I would say being local and knowing the reps here, I have heard several private practice job opportunities in southern california. now whether or not these job opportunites fit your picture perfect scenario is a different question...

all to say , for fellowship applicants, that I think it is absolutely most helpful to go into a fellowship in a region that you believe you'll be in long term versus going to a prestigious program.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would say being local and knowing the reps here, I have heard several private practice job opportunities in southern california. now whether or not these job opportunites fit your picture perfect scenario is a different question...

all to say , for fellowship applicants, that I think it is absolutely most helpful to go into a fellowship in a region that you believe you'll be in long term versus going to a prestigious program.
Agree with this. You have much better chance to get a job in LA after doing an LA area fellowship than if you did one at a big name east coast program.

Also regarding those decent local LA pain jobs. They do exist but are virtually never advertised nationally. Local docs hear about them and that is how they are filled.
 
Agree with this. You have much better chance to get a job in LA after doing an LA area fellowship than if you did one at a big name east coast program.

Also regarding those decent local LA pain jobs. They do exist but are virtually never advertised nationally. Local docs hear about them and that is how they are filled.
This is also true in nyc. The prestigious hss tends to take their own, although anyone who (historically) has gone to their fellowship was very poorly trained. I’m not quite sure how they justified it. Things are different there now with their new fellowship director (not an hss grad).