Job Search While Employed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyeshaveit20

Reaction score
I currently am employed and looking to explore a few different options (academic and other private practices) before deciding whether or not to buy in to my current practice. Is there a politically correct way to contact other groups? Could this be done in a confidential way so that I could disclose to my current employers when I decide it is a good time?

Members don't see this ad.

I currently am employed and looking to explore a few different options (academic and other private practices) before deciding whether or not to buy in to my current practice. Is there a politically correct way to contact other groups? Could this be done in a confidential way so that I could disclose to my current employers when I decide it is a good time?

I can't imagine this going well on all fronts. Typically if you're going to buy in and become partner you should feel comfortable doing so before going all in. What is it that's holding you back? Do you not like your location, practice type, colleagues, staff? If the docs who are offering partnership see you're looking elsewhere they may rescind the offer. Imagine proposing to someone and her saying "let me get back to you after I date a few other guys."

The practices are also going to be suspicious about your motivations for interviewing, too. They may lose interest if you're just kicking the tires before going back to your current practice.

I signed a standard, 2 year contract with option to buy in at the end (summer 2021). I have enjoyed my practice so far, but see the need for many changes that would need to occur (staff, equipment, etc). Considering a location change as well due to family circumstances. I would like to create some contacts in the new city so I can determine if that is a better option for my family before entering into buy-in discussion with my current practice

Members don't see this ad :)
I find this to be a fairly common course of action for many before entering into partnership. However, as stated by hello lady!, you really need to do this very confidentially and evaluate that if you did become a partner in your current practice could you actually affect the changes you mention.

We have a few of physicians that interview at our shop that are currently working elsewhere. It somehow manages to be kept quiet but word usually slowly leaks. It’s a tough position

There are always ways to keep confidentiality going especially if you are coming up on partnership decisions. Most folks will keep someone's confidentiality intact....there are occasional screw ups but not very often.

Working with an experienced recruiter can certainly help with the search, allowing you to weed out opportunities and keeping your confidentiality. An honest recruiter will hold your confidentiality in the highest form.....only sending your information with your approval....giving you exact details of positions and the practice they are working with.

As far as unemployed, it is important to be able to provide a honest and concise explanation of why you are not working. Many times the reasons are easily explainable. Each situation is different though.

If I offered someone parternship, and then I found out he or she was "looking around" for greener pastures, I would definitely withdraw the offer. Just shows non-commitment to the practice. Tread carefully.

If I offered someone parternship, and then I found out he or she was "looking around" for greener pastures, I would definitely withdraw the offer. Just shows non-commitment to the practice. Tread carefully.

Let me say, this should be done well before partnership is offered. That is only the right thing to do.