Job search

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jecave

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When should final year residents start looking and applying for attending jobs?

Members don't see this ad.

When should final year residents start looking and applying for attending jobs?
Depends on what/where, but, as a hiring employer, I got CVs starting last June up through this March for positions starting July/Aug of this year.

The timeline will also be quite variable once you've started applying. It can take 3-4 weeks to set up a good time for the interview. And there are likely to be multiple people interviewing for the same position(s) so another delay of up to a month or 2 after the interview. Academic jobs in particular will probably want a second visit as well.

Once an offer is extended, you will typically have a week or two to negotiate and sign the contract. After that, the credentialing/licensing process begins. This timeline will vary widely among jobs and states. Licensing in my state is relatively quick and straightforward (a month or less generally), but if you were to come work for me, you would need credentials at 4 different hospital systems. Our main (employing) system has a truly infuriating rule that the credentialing process takes 90 days, period. If it's done in 70 days (which it frequently is), you can't start work until the 90 days is up. This has led me to alter our offer letter to say that the start date is either a particular date or 90 days after the completed credentialing paperwork is accepted by the hospital, whichever comes later. As for most administrative things in medicine, what happens once the credentialing paperwork is received is a total black box. We get 2 notifications from the credentialing office, one when the paperwork is accepted as complete and in process, and another one when it is approved/rejected.

Reactions: 1 user
This is very specialty dependent. In my specialty, most people are looking by the time they start their final year of training.

Many think that if you haven't been making connections and looking for a position even before the final year of training, you're already behind.

Reactions: 1 user