Job searching tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FattySlug

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently in a GI fellowship in the Mid West but looking to move back to south California summer of 2024. I just talked to a friend who has been doing private practice with two other partners for 2 years and this is his schedule:

7-9AM inpatient rounding
9-12PM outpatient clinics (seeing about 15 patients)
1-5PM outpatient procedures.
On weekday call 1-2 days a week and Q3Weekend call.

Is this schedule, call burden typical for pp? I prefer to have a split between inpatient and outpatient instead of mixing it up like that. I am in the process of getting in touch with a few bigger groups in town to see how they operate. Any tips on what I should ask and look for in these private practices? Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
sounds miserable for sure. on average I see 14-16 patients a day. either clinic or procedures. leave work at 3:30/4 daily. work 4.5 days a week. 9 weeks outpatient and then 1-week inpatient GI hospitalist rounding.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds busy but I would say that the positive is that the old guys are splitting call equally. That’s a big deal. I’m nit a fan of mixing. We used to do week of hospital at a time. If it is busy enough then you could ask for that.

Also for anyone searching this thread for advice:

Reactions: 1 user
7-9AM inpatient rounding
9-12PM outpatient clinics (seeing about 15 patients)
1-5PM outpatient procedures.
On weekday call 1-2 days a week and Q3Weekend call.

Maybe I'm in some sort of academic bubble. I never looked at private practice jobs, but is this real. How could you see 15 patients in 3 hrs... That's a patient every 12 minutes. Ok if you need to see people to determine if they need CRC screening/polyp surveillance and appropriate for sedation, antithrombotics etc... or renew PPI, but is that what we did 3 years of training to do something a nurse or NP/PA could do with two to four weeks of training? I'm sure no appropriate diagnosis or management of anything but the most rudimentary GI condition could be done.

I think it's fine to do inpatient rounds in morning, and then scopes in afternoon. But what are you doing for variceal bleeding or (admittedly rare) volvulus in this setup? See patient after you are done 3 hrs of clinic? But scope them between case 6 and 7 colonoscopy in afternoon?

Please do tell how many EGDs and/or colons your friend does in this 4 hour period.