Job vs Volunteering

CScull

Is Positive, O Positive
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a job so I can start saving for college and a mission trip I'm going on soon, but if I do I probably won't have any time to volunteer at the local hospital. Would it be a wiser decision to volunteer, or take the job and start saving and gain some kind of work experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I wish, lol. Unfortunately I'm only 16, most places only hire 18 and older.

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn you are 16. I wish I was young like you.

Does your local hospital require a certain amount of hours per week? If its not too much, you can always spend a few hours (~4hrs) volunteering on the weekends and then work maybe a few hours (~12hrs) part-time afterschool.

If I were to chose between the two, I would take a paying job though. As a high-school student, having a responsibility and a pocket full of cash allows you to gain an enormous amount of freedom that you normally don't have. You will be able to make your mission trip you had planned and there will always be opportunities and other ways to seek your interest in medicine. I would, however, spend some time and figure out what the requirements for volunteering are. Most likely there is an orientation or process you will have to complete beforehand and you should spend this time to finish them to volunteer later--when you do have more time.

Unless your highschool requires volunteer hours or you need them for college apps, I would go with the job. Basically for the same reasons Humid listed.

I vote for enjoying your last few years. Unless you absolutely need the money. There will be the rest of your life for a job. As well as college to do volunteering. If i had to choose, i would pick job. I've been working full time since 16; It's not that bad.

Volunteering requires 4 hours of service a week, which isn't bad at all. My problem is I'm on the soccer team, and with 3-4 practices a week and a game every week it's pretty hard to do two part-time jobs. Especially with the course load I'm taking.

I will need the money; I'm going to be on financial aid and student loans as it is so anything extra will help tremendously. My dad's supposed to pay for college, but as he's jobless and in a ton of debt by himself I'll probably end up paying for it all by my lonesome... and grad school. Yippee for debt!

I'm definately going to try and do both over the summer, but I'd like to take a few classes at the college as well and get a few basics out of the way... mmm good thing I like keeping busy, eh?

Damn you are 16. I wish I was young like you.

Erg, lol I'm sure when I'm older I'll look back and be happy that I was only 17 graduating high school and stuff; but right now it's just a pain. I'm mature enough to handle a lot of jobs that only hire 18 year olds but just because I'm still a baby I have to work at a fast food restaurant or something. Stupid unions and their child labor laws...

CScull said:
I wish, lol. Unfortunately I'm only 16, most places only hire 18 and older.

Same problem here...I guess we'll just have to wait a few more years...;)

I pretty much agree with everyone else...I'd try to find a job first, and then volunteer in any other spare time you have. Unless you go away, you also have all summer to get a job and volunteer.

Good luck:thumbup:

Unless you are applying to a college that ABSOLUTELY requires that you volunteer, get a job. You can volunteer later in college, but having spending money is always nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
...and learn more than volunteering in the process.
Also a good point. You're entrusted with a lot more responsibility at a job, so you learn more. The volunteer passing out blankets and ice chips in the ER isn't likely to get nearly as much out of the experience as someone who works as an ER tech.

Plus, it's easy to rack up hours at a job. Most places are always looking for people to fill in shifts. When I worked on an ambulance, somebody managed to call in almost every day of the week. It was a huge pain in the butt to find slots to volunteer at a hospice.

A job it is then. I s'pose it will be nice to actually have money for once... too bad I won't be able to spent it... haha.

A job it is then. I s'pose it will be nice to actually have money for once... too bad I won't be able to spent it... haha.

Haha exactly :D. I actually just applied to volunteer at two different hospitals (18 and high school senior). I plan to keep it up until I can get an internship or job through the university or hospitals, but will also volunteer more on the side.

Haha exactly :D. I actually just applied to volunteer at two different hospitals (18 and high school senior). I plan to keep it up until I can get an internship or job through the university or hospitals, but will also volunteer more on the side.

I wish I had time right now to do both but soccer season's coming up so I definately won't; I'll be streched just with a job, school, church and soccer as is. I'm pretty sure I'll do a bit in the summer though... the hospitals around here have better programs for hs students during the summer anyway.

I wish I had time right now to do both but soccer season's coming up so I definitely won't; I'll be streched just with a job, school, church and soccer as is. I'm pretty sure I'll do a bit in the summer though... the hospitals around here have better programs for hs students during the summer anyway.

Ya, one of the hospitals only does a summer program, but since I'm 18 I can work at the other hospital all year (I think). I know juggling a sport and school alone is tough, so I can sympathize

Ya, one of the hospitals only does a summer program, but since I'm 18 I can work at the other hospital all year (I think). I know juggling a sport and school alone is tough, so I can sympathize

Mmm, just rub your "I'm 18 so I'm an aduuult" in my face why don't you. lol, yup, soccer'll be fun, I haven't ran since this summer so I'm a tad bit out of shape...

Mmm, just rub your "I'm 18 so I'm an aduuult" in my face why don't you. lol, yup, soccer'll be fun, I haven't ran since this summer so I'm a tad bit out of shape...

Haha, many people confuse increased age with increased maturity and ability to take on responsbility. Everyone grows and matures at a different rate, so there are many 14 year olds that may be more mature than someone in their 20's. Just a little tangent and off topic, but hey, who's paying attention? ;)

Once again, I can sympathize lol. I hadn't swam in about a year and when practice started for the swim team I was quite out of shape. I do run, but the difference between the two is immense (and includes getting mannnnnnyyyy cramps while trying to switch over). But ya, I would just make sure to check each hospitals policy. I know I have about 3+ hospitals in my area (I'm only looking into two of them though), and their policies are all different. Methodist allows daily volunteering while OSF only allows for summer volunteer services. Both, however, require the filling out of an application(one was online, other one was mailed). So ya, I would just say have fun with soccer. The only thing you can really use extra experience for would be to be ready to volunteer more in college. Most universities do not require much to get in (high school teachers exagerrate the difficulty of getting in). I would recommend doing a little bit during the summer (40 hours min is usually the requirement, which really isn't that much time) just to get the hang of it, and to get aquianted with the hospital. They will also be more likely to give you better jobs the longer you have been there and the more dedicated you seem. Good luck with soccer! I know it's a heck of a lot of running, but it's definatly worth it. Why is your season starting so late? Unless you are a female, in which the timing would be just right, the season has been over for a while where I am located.

Haha, many people confuse increased age with increased maturity and ability to take on responsbility. Everyone grows and matures at a different rate, so there are many 14 year olds that may be more mature than someone in their 20's. Just a little tangent and off topic, but hey, who's paying attention? ;)

Once again, I can sympathize lol. I hadn't swam in about a year and when practice started for the swim team I was quite out of shape. I do run, but the difference between the two is immense (and includes getting mannnnnnyyyy cramps while trying to switch over). But ya, I would just make sure to check each hospitals policy. I know I have about 3+ hospitals in my area (I'm only looking into two of them though), and their policies are all different. Methodist allows daily volunteering while OSF only allows for summer volunteer services. Both, however, require the filling out of an application(one was online, other one was mailed). So ya, I would just say have fun with soccer. The only thing you can really use extra experience for would be to be ready to volunteer more in college. Most universities do not require much to get in (high school teachers exagerrate the difficulty of getting in). I would recommend doing a little bit during the summer (40 hours min is usually the requirement, which really isn't that much time) just to get the hang of it, and to get aquianted with the hospital. They will also be more likely to give you better jobs the longer you have been there and the more dedicated you seem. Good luck with soccer! I know it's a heck of a lot of running, but it's definatly worth it. Why is your season starting so late? Unless you are a female, in which the timing would be just right, the season has been over for a while where I am located.

Mmm, seriously, my sister's 18 and I'd hope I'm a bit more mature that she is...

I live in a small town so there are only 2 hospitals to volunteer at. One does let high school students volunteer during the year but they have to do 4 hours a week; the other only has a summer program available. I might end up starting both and then only continuing with the one that allows me to but we'll see how it goes...

I'm not so much worried about getting into college as getting experience. I really need a scholarship though; but there's always finacial aid.

Soccer conditioning starts now but it's considered the 'Spring' season... I'm normally a fairly decent runner but I'm probably really out of shape right now, haha I'll probably colapse after a couple of miles... I should probably make a trip to the Y... and yes I am a girl but here the girls and boys seasons are the same, they might just have a fall season set up where you are.

Last edited:
Mmm, seriously, my sister's 18 and I'd hope I'm a bit more mature that she is...

I live in a small town so there are only 2 hospitals to volunteer at. One does let high school students volunteer during the year but they have to do 4 hours a week; the other only has a summer program available. I might end up starting both and then only continuing with the one that allows me to but we'll see how it goes...

Soccer conditioning starts now but it's considered the 'Spring' season... I'm normally a fairly decent runner but I'm probably really out of shape right now, haha I'll probably colapse after a couple of miles... I should probably make a trip to the Y... and yes I am a girl but here the girls and boys seasons are the same, they might just have a fall season set up where you are.

Good to hear I'm not the only mature young-in lol. Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Ahhh, that makes alot more sense. I'm sure you'll get back in the swing of things once you start running during practice again.

Any ideas for college/med school?

Good to hear I'm not the only mature young-in lol. Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Ahhh, that makes alot more sense. I'm sure you'll get back in the swing of things once you start running during practice again.

Any ideas for college/med school?

Thanks... I hope so, conditioning can be tough sometimes but we have a new coach this year so I don't know how it will be. I'm guess it would be a good idea to hit the treadmill just in case.

I'd like to go to either Samford or Auburn... I haven't decided yet between pharmacy school or med school but ideally if I chose med school I'll like to go to UAB and if pharmacy then I'd stay at Samford or Auburn... I kinda want to go to school in Colorado though; just for the snow skiing and to get away from my family, lol.

I'd imagine a pretty large percentage of people on this forum felt the same way you guys do about the maturity issue. I did. Suffice it to say that you'll figure out how wrong you are in a few years. ;)

Thanks... I hope so, conditioning can be tough sometimes but we have a new coach this year so I don't know how it will be. I'm guess it would be a good idea to hit the treadmill just in case.

I'd like to go to either Samford or Auburn... I haven't decided yet between pharmacy school or med school but ideally if I chose med school I'll like to go to UAB and if pharmacy then I'd stay at Samford or Auburn... I kinda want to go to school in Colorado though; just for the snow skiing and to get away from my family, lol.

Haha, snow skiing :p. I haven't looked into UAB so I really don't know much about them. I'm currently looking at med at John Hopkins, Baylor, Vanderbilt, maybe some others, but some of the top-tier schools. It's ganna be alot of work, but it'll be worth it.

I'd imagine a pretty large percentage of people on this forum felt the same way you guys do about the maturity issue. I did. Suffice it to say that you'll figure out how wrong you are in a few years. ;)

What exaclty did you mean by that? :cool:

I mean that you'll figure out how much you don't know. It might seem like you have it all figured out now, but believe me, you don't. There's not really any way I can convince you of that, but you'll see for yourself sooner or later. I promise. :)

Haha, snow skiing :p. I haven't looked into UAB so I really don't know much about them. I'm currently looking at med at John Hopkins, Baylor, Vanderbilt, maybe some others, but some of the top-tier schools. It's ganna be alot of work, but it'll be worth it.

Lol, yea I'm obsessed; and there's not much skiing in Alabama...

That's tough, I love Vandy; but it's insanely expensive... plus I hear that it's going to be much harder to get in soon (Under Grad that is).

Haha, we'll see.

I'm thinking about getting a job so I can start saving for college and a mission trip I'm going on soon, but if I do I probably won't have any time to volunteer at the local hospital. Would it be a wiser decision to volunteer, or take the job and start saving and gain some kind of work experience?

I don't know if anyone mentioned it... but whatever you do try and enjoy the process....don't be in a rush to get to the finish line. Try and make the best out of whatever situation you get into. A job is great, as long as you save some $......volunteering is very important 2, not just because you need to put it on your college/med apps., but also so you could see for your self what life is like in the health care field. I don't know you or your experiences, but this goes for everyone. How do you know you want to pursue a career in Medicine unless you experience first hand what clinicians go through. Even if you are sure, volunteering will convince you with certainty.

Some hospitals let you volunteer at night. Maybe you could volunteer a couple of hours after work or whatever. But like I said just try and enjoy the process, and talk to as many people as possible.

Thanx

-D

I would say get a job and start saving money for college so that when your in college you can volunteer at hospitals and go on mission trips and focus on your GPA without worrying about working.
I am a first year at University right now and I work part-time, I have to say I would be incredibly bored if I didn't work but I am doing very little volunteer work right now and it does kind of get in the way.

Get a job for the week and volunteer on the weekends. That way you get money and you can also make sure that medicine is where you want to go.

Get a job for the week and volunteer on the weekends. That way you get money and you can also make sure that medicine is where you want to go.

Haha, if I only had that kind of time.

I don't know if anyone mentioned it... but whatever you do try and enjoy the process....don't be in a rush to get to the finish line. Try and make the best out of whatever situation you get into. A job is great, as long as you save some $......volunteering is very important 2, not just because you need to put it on your college/med apps., but also so you could see for your self what life is like in the health care field. I don't know you or your experiences, but this goes for everyone. How do you know you want to pursue a career in Medicine unless you experience first hand what clinicians go through. Even if you are sure, volunteering will convince you with certainty.

Some hospitals let you volunteer at night. Maybe you could volunteer a couple of hours after work or whatever. But like I said just try and enjoy the process, and talk to as many people as possible.

Thanx

-D

In the ideal world I could do a couple hours after work; but I'm fairly certain that volunteering ends at 4 so I would only be able to work on saturdays... and then I have soccer and show choir coming up; and of course my schoolwork. It'll be hard to do decent hours at a job as it is. I think I'll hold off until the summer to start volunteering... it'll make it less stressful and I'll have more time to get to know the enviroment without worrying about corner kicks or AP exams or kick-ball changes.

The mission trip probably will be a good learning experience for me though, and I'm extremely excited about that. I've been flip-flopping between pharmacy and medicine for a while now; but in honduras I'll be working in the pharmacy distributing medicine to the people who live in the village. I'm hoping that if I do someday become a pharmacist I'll be able to go and do the same kind of thing. I'll be able to talk to the pharmacist, see what he does, ask him questions... it'll be like shadowing and voluteering all in one! Eek!

Haha, I'm such a dork I suprise myself sometimes.