Jobless and applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arfc6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know that med schools like to see that applicants who've taken a gap year don't just sit around and do nothing for a year. Unfortunately since graduating in May I've had a hell of a time finding a job that doesn't involve flipping burgers. That's not to say that I've done nothing. I've been helping my folks renovate their home, put in a HUGE garden, visited relatives, and have been hanging out with my little brother who I didn't get to see very often while I was an undergrad. I had some rather grand plans about what I would do during my gap year but have had to scale them back slightly. However, in another couple months I should be back on track. I guess my question is do you think med schools will look down on this? I'm still looking for work and have had a fantastic summer hanging out with my family and taking time to smell the roses. Are there any other gap year folks out there that are having problems finding work?

Members don't see this ad.

So I know that med schools like to see that applicants who've taken a gap year don't just sit around and do nothing for a year. Unfortunately since graduating in May I've had a hell of a time finding a job that doesn't involve flipping burgers. That's not to say that I've done nothing. I've been helping my folks renovate their home, put in a HUGE garden, visited relatives, and have been hanging out with my little brother who I didn't get to see very often while I was an undergrad. I had some rather grand plans about what I would do during my gap year but have had to scale them back slightly. However, in another couple months I should be back on track. I guess my question is do you think med schools will look down on this? I'm still looking for work and have had a fantastic summer hanging out with my family and taking time to smell the roses. Are there any other gap year folks out there that are having problems finding work?

Couldn't you have at least continued some of your ECs?

Couldn't you have at least continued some of your ECs?
I was living in a different state and moved back in with my parents in order to save money so there weren't a whole lot of EC's I could continue with. Also since I've been filling out tons of applications for jobs and med school and experiencing a certain degree of uncertainty as to what my schedule might look like next week (maybe I'll be employed!) it's kind of hard to commit to a schedule for something like hospital volunteering. I've taken up some new sports though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was living in a different state and moved back in with my parents in order to save money so there weren't a whole lot of EC's I could continue with. Also since I've been filling out tons of applications for jobs and med school and experiencing a certain degree of uncertainty as to what my schedule might look like next week (maybe I'll be employed!) it's kind of hard to commit to a schedule for something like hospital volunteering. I've taken up some new sports though.

Maybe you can tutor some local CC students in your area.

Maybe you can tutor some local CC students in your area.
That's a good idea, I'll have to see about that. I guess now that I have the time I could probably find some sort of interesting volunteer gig.

Just in case try looking for some interesting volunteer positions while you continue to look for a job, so more of your time can be accounted for. I honestly don't know how adcoms would view not having a job but I presume they'd be sympathetic as the job market is pretty brutal for all graduates now.

If you still want to look for jobs and hold off on a long-term commitment, you could try finding a place that welcomes volunteers who stop in. Homeless shelters or park/city cleanup efforts often need the help and sometime don't require a commitment.

I'm in the same boat as you. I've been looking for a job ever since my PI told me she could no longer offer me a paid position for next year. I think I'm going to just volunteer in the lab if I can't find anything. I also might audit some classes like medical ethics or Spanish. You could also do some shadowing in the mean time.

Try not to worry too much on the perspective medical schools look at those months but focus more on doing something now. The past cannot be changed so regardless of what medical schools think, you have no choice but to accept it. You don't play a game of baseball looking at your previous years of home runs, you aim for all home runs in the season, so why should medical school application be any different!

Honestly there really isn't anything wrong with flipping burgers. Money is money is money. If you can get that sort of gig, adcomms will still appreciate you and value you as a human being. Promise.

Honestly there really isn't anything wrong with flipping burgers. Money is money is money. If you can get that sort of gig, adcomms will still appreciate you and value you as a human being. Promise.

i agree, a job is a job

I agree. I'd just rather have my parents give me a few bucks to do repairs on their home instead of a contractor than flip burgers.

i feel your pain, finding jobs isn't easy. try volunteering or maybe email some PIs if you are interested in research.

I am in the same position as you. I have prepared most of my secondaries and will submit once my primary gets verified. The whole application process itself is like a full-time job.

I plan on volunteering, shadowing physicians while continuing to apply for paid employment ( ideally connected somehow with helping others or medicine )

yeah I'm pretty much in the same boat... I've submitted my resume and cover letters to like over 40 positions... got one interview for a sweet job assisting a doctor and they said they really liked me etc. but I had to leave town for a week and the job got snatched up :(

This job market is just super brutal, and unless I find a good job soon, I'm going to have to resort to applying to busboy and dishwasher positions which I'm sure will look great on my application!

So now on my application I keep writing "I'm looking for a job..." "in my free time I'm teaching myself Spanish etc..."

p.s.

on the job search note, what doe you guys use to look for jobs?

I've been using craigslist and then trying to look up local companies and apply directly through their websites, but are there any other good places to look that you all use?

p.s.

on the job search note, what doe you guys use to look for jobs?

I've been using craigslist and then trying to look up local companies and apply directly through their websites, but are there any other good places to look that you all use?

i used monster and indeed but literally none of the places i applied to responded.
i also went into med school websites and emailed professors to see if they had any space in their lab. this was much more successful.