Jobs before applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spark.d

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Before I get to my question, here are some basic things:

I'm planning on applying for med school (md and do) next cycle.
I have been working at a dental office for eight months as part-time receptionist/dental assistant. This is a new office where I basically set up the entire front desk area as I pleased.
I also got a job offer at a opthamology office nearby and but the pay is less and the office has been around for a long time, so the office would be very different from the dental office I'm used to.

Now my question is: I'm aware that both aren't really the "medical" type of offices, but which would be more advantageous for me to take if I want to increase my chances at getting into med school?

Members don't see this ad.

but which would be more advantageous for me to take if I want to increase my chances at getting into med school?
No one will care. These are not jobs that will make a difference in the admissions process.
For you personally, though, seeing the day to day of an actual physician may be helpful to you if you haven't seen it before. Other than that, it literally doesn't matter.

No one will care. These are not jobs that will make a difference in the admissions process.
For you personally, though, seeing the day to day of an actual physician may be helpful to you if you haven't seen it before. Other than that, it literally doesn't matter.
Basically this. Admissions will understand that a job was needed to hold down the fort while in undergrad. I currently work as a Pharmacy Tech. That will help absolutely 0 toward admissions, but a job's a job. There are a few outliers (scribe, E.R. tech, etc...) that may be a 2-birds type deal, but in a nutshell, they don't care.