Jobs before starting postbac Postbac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmkrt001

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I recently decided to continue my goal of becoming a physician but I won't start taking classes for at least a year. I am currently in the middle of an extensive job search and I was wondering what kind of medical/nonmedical jobs I could possibly apply for that would help my premed resume down the road. I have a degree in Business Econ. I have tried to apply for Medical Assistant jobs but most of them require a certification and/or experience. Money is also of issue here since I need to make at a minimum $15/hour to be able to sustain a normal lifestyle. My main question here is this: what kind of nonmedical jobs (or medical jobs if possible) can I apply for that offer some benefits to being a nontrad premed. I know that some, if not all med schools, write on the application process that anything with leadership experience is a plus. So, what if I worked as a manager somewhere, would that work? Any other advice would be helpful as well. I already plan getting an EMT license but I know that their pay is not that high in the beginning so I'll just use it for volunteering. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

@Goro says he considered EMT's to be glorified delivery drivers, so don't put all your eggs in the EMT basket :D Have you ever thought about not punching the clock for someone else? I've spent the last 17 years working for myself (and done well enough to be financially independent by 40). It's not for everyone but it certainly says something about your ability to function autonomously.

Well, I am pretty sure most people would work for themselves if they could.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most people lack the skill set to work for themselves, which is why they don't. I've worked for the world's largest employer as well as for myself and being self-employed was significantly harder; and significantly more rewarding.

Hello, I recently decided to continue my goal of becoming a physician but I won't start taking classes for at least a year. I am currently in the middle of an extensive job search and I was wondering what kind of medical/nonmedical jobs I could possibly apply for that would help my premed resume down the road. I have a degree in Business Econ. I have tried to apply for Medical Assistant jobs but most of them require a certification and/or experience. Money is also of issue here since I need to make at a minimum $15/hour to be able to sustain a normal lifestyle. My main question here is this: what kind of nonmedical jobs (or medical jobs if possible) can I apply for that offer some benefits to being a nontrad premed. I know that some, if not all med schools, write on the application process that anything with leadership experience is a plus. So, what if I worked as a manager somewhere, would that work? Any other advice would be helpful as well. I already plan getting an EMT license but I know that their pay is not that high in the beginning so I'll just use it for volunteering. Thanks in advance.
Just get a job. Stop overthinking it. You're at least, what, 2 to 3 years away from applying? What type of job you list on AMCAS won't even matter. If your focus is on making money, than get the job that makes the most.

Also, ditch the EMT license. If you don't plan on using it for EMT work it's useless. You can do plenty of amazing volunteer work that requires nothing more than a CPR cert.

It's not for everyone but it certainly says something about your ability to function autonomously.
Doctors don't function autonomously.