Jobs during Pre-Vet

Started by ylrebmik
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ylrebmik

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My question is.... Is it easy (or semi) to find a decent job working in the veterinary field during pre-vet... actually involvement and such? I'm worried because there are people that come back down here every weekend because "there are no good paying jobs up there" (1-2 hours away) && the job I have now pays... extremelyy well... I almost make more than my mom whose been in the same place for over 20 years.. so I'm worried I won't find an "approriate" (wrong word but can't think of anythign better) job when I leave. So what sorts of jobs have you all had during pre-vet? Pros, Cons, Advice?
 
It seems like you can get quite the range of how hard/easy it is to find jobs. I have had a pretty easy time finding jobs. I've worked in 3 different SA clinics (two GPs and 1 specialty) and have been offered jobs at several others. I was 15 when I started and made $0.50 above minimum wage. It's gone steadily up from there. While I still don't make "good money" by any means, I've managed to put myself through college on it without taking out any loans. Granted, I live quite cheaply and don't spend an extra dime on myself that isn't absolutely necessary, but I'm surviving. The way I look at it: chances are, you're never going to be rich if you're going into this field, so I might as well just get used to it now 🙂
 
Ditto to the above comment. I have found it pretty easy...although you won't make much. I'm doing a Master's and work at an emergency practice. I've worked at a couple general practices too, but get great experience with the emergency practice. I pay the bills (barely) and took out loans to cover tuition only. So, extra money buys books and school supplies. Live cheap now b/c we're all gonna be poor after vet school is over! :laugh:
 
It seems like you can get quite the range of how hard/easy it is to find jobs. I have had a pretty easy time finding jobs. I've worked in 3 different SA clinics (two GPs and 1 specialty) and have been offered jobs at several others. I was 15 when I started and made $0.50 above minimum wage. It's gone steadily up from there. While I still don't make "good money" by any means, I've managed to put myself through college on it without taking out any loans. Granted, I live quite cheaply and don't spend an extra dime on myself that isn't absolutely necessary, but I'm surviving. The way I look at it: chances are, you're never going to be rich if you're going into this field, so I might as well just get used to it now 🙂


So you were able to pay for your entire college with your paychecks? Woah. How much did you work?