Jobs Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steege305

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken a gig with ICC recently? They're one of the larger employers in the South/Southeast and it seems like a reasonable job. Not too many nights (apparently people want to work as nocturnists), and the compensation seems fair.

Members don't see this ad.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t ICC a subsidiary of HCA? While I’ve never worked at an HCA hospital, their corporate reputation in my neck of the woods and over on the EM subforum is somewhere between genital herpes and Jeffrey Epstein.

Reactions: 3 users
ICC is owned by HCA. Has a bad rep as mentioned above. Not every gig is the same but they have a bad rep. I took a look at one of their spots some time back. The pay was very competitive. But # of patient encounters was high and EMR was bad. The gig I looked at had close to 15-20 patient encounters in a day and acuity was not low... the current physicians had to farm out the procedures to surgeons/anesthesia get the work done. Nights seemed easier than days (rounding on 20 is awful and probably not good critical care), so I am not surprised they have people doing full time nights.

All of their ICUs are open model with a mandatory consult which is nice if you are seeing so many patients... but not so nice in other ways. Not all of the gigs are bad, I have a friend working for them who doesn't seem to mind it. Key point, whenever HCA is involved, beware. Look at every single thing very carefully before agreeing to work for them.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did locums with ICC for a bit. The pay was decent ($200-225/hr for most of the crop that came through when I was there), and they allowed me to work whenever I had some free time. However, I regularly rounded on 20+ patients per day in two ICUs. Meditech (their EMR) is also absolutely terribly. If the hospital wasn't several hours away, and the EMR wasn't so terrible that I couldn't maintain passing proficiency with my rare work, I'd probably have kept working prn.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

I did locums with ICC for a bit. The pay was decent ($200-225/hr for most of the crop that came through when I was there), and they allowed me to work whenever I had some free time. However, I regularly rounded on 20+ patients per day in two ICUs. Meditech (their EMR) is also absolutely terribly. If the hospital wasn't several hours away, and the EMR wasn't so terrible that I couldn't maintain passing proficiency with my rare work, I'd probably have kept working prn.

20+ encounters is a lot. The hospitalists don’t have that many in a day at my current spot. I personally have a hard time doing 14+... it only takes one sick one to suck up most of the day sometimes.

Interesting that they offered about that much per hour for a permanent gig that I interviewed at. Locums pay quite a bit more in my area when they get desperate.

Reactions: 1 user
Most of my experience with EMRs has been Epic, Cerner, or straight dictation. I’ve never used Meditech, but if it’s anything like Cerner documenting 20 ICU notes could take a while...like grab a Snickers take a while.

Reactions: 1 user
Alright, someone I know in real life that reads this forum just reminded me how much I complained when I did a few full weeks there. I guess my rose colored glasses are from the fact that I ended my time with them doing just weekends, so the census was only about a manageable dozen.

• Haha
Honestly, I didn’t even think to ask about the number of patient encounters per day(first job after fellowship). I just figured you’d just have to see every patient in the unit that you’re covering.

Most of my experience with EMRs has been Epic, Cerner, or straight dictation. I’ve never used Meditech, but if it’s anything like Cerner documenting 20 ICU notes could take a while...like grab a Snickers take a while.

It’s much, much worse.