Jobs that have been open for many months

Started by rph3664
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rph3664

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Earlier today, I was scanning some websites of places I've applied in recent months, and have found several openings that have existed for as long as 6 months. I'm just hoping that they aren't filling them or interviewing because of budget issues, current staffing problems, and the like. These are places that haven't even called me; maybe I should call them?
 
Earlier today, I was scanning some websites of places I've applied in recent months, and have found several openings that have existed for as long as 6 months. I'm just hoping that they aren't filling them or interviewing because of budget issues, current staffing problems, and the like. These are places that haven't even called me; maybe I should call them?

Why wouldn't you call them if you are interested in the position?
 
I hadn't called because they were in cities that are several hundred miles away. Wouldn't hurt, though.

One was in a city that has two pharmacy schools, and someone on another message board said that some employers post dummy openings because they're phishing for salary ranges, or need to post phony job openings for grant money and the like.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A few jobs I've applied for have been posted for months - some places keep a position open just to accept applications all the time even if they don't have an actively hiring position
 
I hadn't called because they were in cities that are several hundred miles away. Wouldn't hurt, though.

One was in a city that has two pharmacy schools, and someone on another message board said that some employers post dummy openings because they're phishing for salary ranges, or need to post phony job openings for grant money and the like.

Phones can just as easily contact cities several hundred miles away as they can close cities.

You didn't call because someone on a MESSAGEBOARD said something to discourage you? Two pharmacy schools, gives you all the more reason to call and show that extra initiative!

Is this your first time applying for a job outside of school? You may want to buy the APHA Interview/Resume book, I think it would help you immensely. Job market is tough, those who are timid are going to be left in the unemployment line.
 
A few jobs I've applied for have been posted for months - some places keep a position open just to accept applications all the time even if they don't have an actively hiring position

My hospital had an open position that they tried to fill several times and HR kept rejecting the candidates when they would select someone. It even got so far as to they hired someone, had them on the schedule, and then decided to cut the position. It was a mess.
 
My hospital had an open position that they tried to fill several times and HR kept rejecting the candidates when they would select someone. It even got so far as to they hired someone, had them on the schedule, and then decided to cut the position. It was a mess.

Wow.

I did get one "You Suck" phone call just after noon, but this was for a place that had two open positions since October, and is not that far from a pharmacy school either. Interestingly, this was the same place where I did the phone interview and the chief pharmacist didn't know what a PGY-1 was.