Jobs that Pay Good Money

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brown429

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a year to kill before medical school and wanted a job that makes pretty good money. I will only have a BA in biology. I have been accepted so it does not matter what kind of job it is...

I was thinking of trying to get a pharmaceutical sales rep position, I know they pay well and there are perks.

Has anyone attained descent (about 45-50k) jobs with a BA in Biology after graduating?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a year to kill before medical school and wanted a job that makes pretty good money. I will only have a BA in biology. I have been accepted so it does not matter what kind of job it is...

I was thinking of trying to get a pharmaceutical sales rep position, I know they pay well and there are perks.

Has anyone attained descent (about 45-50k) jobs with a BA in Biology after graduating?

A BA in bio w/no experience where I've been has been worth low 20's to 30 at a university/med school. Academic jobs range from glorified glassware washer to surrogate grad student in an lab that can't get grad students. The pre-allo sentiment is that a stint in academic research will help you out with med school admissions.

Private sector jobs are obviously more competative but pay better. Just think of how many bio grads are produced every year. It's not like engineering or business where the jobs come looking for you.

I don't know of anyone who has successfully gotten a job as a drug rep via the science route much less right out of college. Are you an attractive female? The salary for drug reps around me is slightly over the range you noted, but it is travel-intensive and commission-based. I am of the opinion that pharmaceutical reps drive drug costs up by their mere existence alone and resultantly push us closer to government intervention in healthcare, so I am not the best advocate for the profession.

had a year also ended up being lucky to get a job at hospital as OR tech. Much more difficult than you think I went graduate school to and still applied to prob 75 jobs via online pharm reps positions and any other health related job. Most of those jobs arent worth it if your just going to be doing it for yr, lots of training before your out on your own selling. not to mention traveling to some crapy locations. Also those high paying ones you see req min 2 years industry work which I'm guessing you don't have or exp. in sales/marketing. Indeed without getting into med school a BA/BS in bio=not much. My friends with 2 yr assoc degree in business getting higher paying better jobs. Can always start a pyramid scheme and swindle your neighbors into buying into it. Probably the only way your going to get some quick cash in a year. just my 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Made 47k in my lag year as a research assistant at Stanford Medical Center. But I would agree that salaries are higher for jobs in the private sector than university positions. Decent jobs are out there if you got some research experience from undergrad, you just got to invest a little time and energy to find the right one.

I think it would pretty hard to find a pharm rep position without any prior experience in sales or marketing. While a science background is needed, pharm sales is more about people skills.

decent. i had a friend out of college with a biology BA that was a drug rep. paid about 45K base. bonuses are usually based the increase in how much of your drug is prescribed in your territory. if you get a good drug bonuses can be >5K quarterly. lots of people want to be drug reps (for some reason i dont understand). the job itself seems like it would suck but if you can get one, its prob your best bet.

A local hospital lab hired my as a phlebotomist for summers and breaks during undergrad. You dont need to be certified in most states, you get great experience finding veins and working directly with pts. 5am shifts suck (spent most of my summer going to bed at 8pm to get up at 4am), but pay is about $15/hr and I love the job. Just have to find a hospital that is willing to train you though... really any hospital techinician job is within your range and would be a great experience i think. I had a friend try and get a sales rep job and never got any calls back. Good luck whatever you do.

Seems like it would be tough since you would only be doing this for a year. Most companies aren't going to want to invest in you if you are only going to be around for a short period of time.

Pharamceutical sales rep might be tough to get. Realistically, you might as well do something you enjoy (although there seem to be some suggestions above that might make sense for you). What are your interests? Are you maybe interested in teaching Jr. High or High School in an inner city for a year? Doesn't pay well, but maybe you would enjoy it. Are you interested in maybe becoming an EMT? Again, doesn't pay well, but maybe it would be something you enjoy. Another option might be to get certified as some kind of surgical tech if you are interested in perhaps becoming a surgeon. People usually don't get BA's in Biology if they want to make tons of cash at the Bachelors level.

Just to be complete (and I realize that this isn't for everyone!): I do have a neighbor who is going to Iraq as a civilian contractor and will make about $120K/yr as an experienced electronics tech. Maybe there are similar civilian contractor jobs if you have some kind of skill the U.S. would want to use in Iraq. Any skills in explosives removal ;)?

I would pick one of the more competitive specialties and do research in that and try to publish so if you should be interested in it later you'll have a leg up on the competition.

I have been involved in medicine in one way or another since the 9th grade...have taken blood, given shots, worked in an ER, benchwork of which I hated, ect. These are fun at the begining when you first learn how to take blood, give shots, deal with patients, but it becomes routine and not that much respect...but thats what you are going to get with entry level jobs.

I am personable and figure with connections I can attain a pharm. rep position...if I am lucky because my connections are not too strong.
Internshipa at fidelity, vanguard, or meryll lynch pay 12-20 but they are usually only for 3 months.

Did not realize the "real world" for BA bio majors stinks in terms of compensation...

Honestly, the best money I could find with one year to give was waiting tables.

I worked as a clinical research coordinator and made decent money, about 27k + benefits and had planned on doing that until medschool . . .( they wouldn't have hired me if I'd only had a year to give tho ) . . . anyway I lost that when Katrina shut down my city for a few months and ate my home so I ended up in the suburbs with nothing but a BS and only a year to give.

Labs weren't really interested because the training time was too long to make me worth while. I ended up waiting tables at a TGIF (yes I know, it pains my soul to this day) and I made 700/week (after taxes) so about 34K/year for less than 40 hours/week. The hours were pretty decent too, you never had to be in before 10am, and you were out around midnight at the latest, and most shifts were only about 6 hours long.

I have been involved in medicine in one way or another since the 9th grade...have taken blood, given shots, worked in an ER, benchwork of which I hated, ect. These are fun at the begining when you first learn how to take blood, give shots, deal with patients, but it becomes routine and not that much respect...but thats what you are going to get with entry level jobs.

I am personable and figure with connections I can attain a pharm. rep position...if I am lucky because my connections are not too strong.
Internshipa at fidelity, vanguard, or meryll lynch pay 12-20 but they are usually only for 3 months.

Did not realize the "real world" for BA bio majors stinks in terms of compensation...

Have you considered doing something in the world of finance, stocks, or insurance? Sometimes these jobs pay well if you are a good salesperson (I would check it out thoroughly tho).

There are scientific temping agencies. YOH scientific, Lab services, Kelly Scientific. Pharmaceutical companies need people for 3, 6, 12, 18 month contracts. The pay is excellent (no benefits) and at the end of the contract you go your own way. There is no guilt for not staying on. These contracts are usually a way of getitng made permanent but no one will care if you have other plans.

Pharm rep positions are hard to get and if they were to figure out you are onlyg oing to do it for a year it will piss people off. They invest alot to train you and having you establish a territory

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not have any leverage for those kinds of positions...at least for pharm rep. I can say im really good @ science, personable, and a good salesman... with stocks, insurance...i have only had some classes dealing with them...no minor or anything...

I do not have any leverage for those kinds of positions...at least for pharm rep. I can say im really good @ science, personable, and a good salesman... with stocks, insurance...i have only had some classes dealing with them...no minor or anything...

Well, sounds like it's time to get on Monster, Hotjobs, etc. etc. and see what you can get.

if you're looking for non-9 to 5 jobs, teach for a group (ie princeton, kaplan, others) as well as private tutoring. that's what i do. i've been able to pull in about $2K per month. since most of my income comes from private tutoring, most of what i make doesn't fly away to Big Brother Sam. You get a lot of time off for yourself (not sure if that's what you'd want, but it worked well for me...gave me time to work on apps/interview days. and when app season was slowly coming to a crawl, gave me more time to chill out and do whatever the heck i wanted before hitting the grind this fall).

I waited 2 years before med school and made decent money working for a pharm company. What was your major? I was a finance major and never really thought about medicine until I realized I hated my job. Don't let them know you plan to leave after a year because they won't hire you. Good luck man and if you're in the Baltimore area message me I could give you some info on where I worked.

bartend! i tended at a restaurant/wine bar for about 8 months during my year off. got $4.25/hr + tips. I only worked two nights a week, mostly friday and sat. night. I never came home with less than $250/wk, and that was when we had 3 of us behind the bar. When it was only 2 of us..tons more work..but i averaged more like $350/wk. Hey, I was only workin 2 days a week!! Yeah, you give up a lot of your weekend, but if you're not closing you usually get outta there by midnight...still time to kick it. And you get 5 days a week to figure out how you want to spend that money.

I work for a pharmaceutical company as a microbiologist. I have a BA in chem/Bio, and no previous experience. However, with overtime I'll end up making close to 50K this year before school starts. Look for jobs in the labs at larger pharm companies and you should have a good shot. Granted, It's not the most glamorous job, but it pays well.

Tutoring in a rich community can get you up to about $80/hour

I did legal temping for a while, and ended up at a huge, well-known firm that paid very well. I started out highlighting depositions, putting stuff in folders, etc., but after about 2 weeks, once they realized that I actually had a brain and wasn't just a robot, they actually started giving me really interesting stuff to do. I learned a lot about law, economics, firm life, etc. - and there were lots of perks (really nice gym downstairs, break room always had gourment coffee, fruit, and soda, the partner and associates took me to lunch a lot, time and a half for OT, holiday parties and social get-togethers) - honestly, I wish I still worked there sometimes. And there was ALWAYS an opportunity to do something - LOTS of hours; someone was always working. And, at $20/hour ($30/hr OT), working 60-hour weeks (this was VOLUNTARY, you could work as little or as much as you wanted), I was making over $1,000 a WEEK, post-taxes. They paid me weekly, the work was usually very low stress (it only got stressful when the partner was going to court or to a meeting the next week).

I would totally do this again if I had another year off. I would never want to go into law, but it was interesting to see how such a massive law firm operates, and the amount of money flowing around is truly mind-boggling. You are such a tiny cog in their giant machine, that they sneeze at your measley $20/hr. Then they take pity on you, and take you out to lunch at a 5-star restaurant :D

Moving to Pre-Allo as "killing a year before med school" is a Pre-Allo issue. Allopathic medical students can comment there.

I was making over $1,000 a WEEK, post-taxes.
You should see what you can get lawyers to pay you if you're willing to point out mistakes of other allied health professionals. ;) :smuggrin:

Riddle me this: why are there so many Bio majors if the eight jobs out there pay nothing?

move to LA and teach high school science. LAUSD is probably one of the worst school districts in the country, and they are DESPERATE for anyone with a math or science degree. All you have to do is take the CBEST (california basic educational skills test), which is a joke...seriously a 6th grader could pass it. Then your all set to teach with an emergency credential.
Starting pay is $40 K over 10 months.

unless your alternate option to going to med school was to become a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader, I would say pharmaceutical sales wouldn't be a viable option; besides, most pharma companies are completely cutting out sales jobs because of the bad press they have received and the recent drug scandals...pick up a Business Week sometime, since you seem so interested in money...

as for jobs with a BA in biology, I agree with the first few posts I glanced at that there isn't much...maybe add 'phlebotomist' to the list...I'd say the best chance you have of landing a little higher job than glassware washing or blood-drawing is if you have some economics background and could work in business development for a pharma/biotech

move to LA and teach high school science. LAUSD is probably one of the worst school districts in the country, and they are DESPERATE for anyone with a math or science degree. All you have to do is take the CBEST (california basic educational skills test), which is a joke...seriously a 6th grader could pass it. Then your all set to teach with an emergency credential.
Starting pay is $40 K over 10 months.

$40K in LA? I doubt you could find a homeless shelter to live in on that income...ok, sorry for the offense, but that isn't really a living wage in California...if you want decent money teaching, stick with suburban school districts in the cheap cost-of-living midwest...

$40K in LA? I doubt you could find a homeless shelter to live in on that income...ok, sorry for the offense, but that isn't really a living wage in California...if you want decent money teaching, stick with suburban school districts in the cheap cost-of-living midwest...

I make $32k and I have no problem. We don't all need to sprinkle caviar on our Cheerios. :rolleyes:

I wish you luck getting a Pharma Rep. job right out of college...unless you're a model.

Knowledge means very little in that field.

I would go with a temp job for a pharma company or something.

Or, go bartend...and do something fun.

only problem with that is suburban school districts only hire teachers who have full teaching credentials (which is another year's worth of useless bullsh*t classes).

OP was asking what he could do with a degree in bio that would pay between 40 and 50K...I'm just throwing out options.

Besides...I'd rather be making 40 K in LA than be making 60 K in the midwest.

if you don't care what kind of job...web development pays 40-50k entry level and it doesn't matter what degree you have, long as you know your stuff

I disagree. My husband, a resident at an Los Angeles hospital, and I are living off his approx. 40K income, while I do a post-bac year. Although we have to hold off on buying things like Wii's or new cars, we live very comfortably. It's about making choices such as choosing affordable housing, using public transportation, and planning meals ahead of time. We also don't have big expenses due to being in good health and not having children.
To the OP, if you have either extensive lab experience, proficiency in statistics (including proficiency in programs like STATA, SPSS, and SAS) and/or computer programming experience, these are skills that many employers will pay $40K+ for. If you have no experience, research support in academia at entry level generally tops out at 40K (unless you have extensive lab experience), but 20-35K is more typical. Entry level pharma jobs are often difficult to get since some require a few years of experience and may also require odd shift hours. You could also consider administrative positions at large law firms or companies, which may not be the most exciting jobs, but could provide a 40K+ starting income depending on the organization.

world series of poker in the summer... you need to be smart to win that, and probably since you're going to med school, you have at least that qualification

A decent paying job with a BA in biology...that's funny...

I wish! If you all find one, let me know.

A Bio BA is a great stepping stone..but alone its pretty much useless.

All of my BIO degree friends are lab techs and such. My husband is in wildlife biology working on a master's after zero luck moving up the ladder with just a BA.

I have a freakin' master's in biology and am lucky to break $35K every year.

If you just need a time filler until med school go a route other than BIO. Like the other posters said, Bartending would be better $$$. Honestly.

I would second the other posters who recommended teaching. That's what I'm doing now, teaching for an inner city school in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. There are alternative certification hoops I've had to jump through, but they haven't been difficult. I make about 45K, which is quite nice for the area in which I live, and the schools are always looking for math/science teachers. I've really enjoyed the year, and I feel as if I've done something truly valuable with my time. You don't have to feel bad about giving just a year, either...lots of teachers these days only teach a few years before moving along on their career paths, and at least some lucky school will get you for awhile! Seriously...some spots are filled with long-term subs because there aren't enough qualified teachers. If you're even remotely interested, I would urge you to consider it.

construction, landscaping, etc, etc. You get to work outdoors, get a good workout and they make good money without requiring a degree. It may be hard to get a job for a summer only if you're trying to use your degree

This is the best way I found for bio/chem jobs (in order of usefulness):

1.) Networking with friends, family, collegues
a. Find those parent's friends that work in the bio field. Give them your resume, and ask your parents to talk to them about it too.
b. Where are your collegues working? Find out from other collegues and call them up and ask for openings.
c. If you staying in your college town, try to work in a lab. Also look for local research positions at universities.

2.) Temp agencies (Kelly Services, Aerotek, etc.)
a. This is how I got my job (kelly). The pay is average ($15-20 /hour), and you will do technician work (i.e. work that an engineer hasn't figured how to automate yet).
i) Don't wait for them to call you (they normally peruse monster, hot jobs, etc. for candidates for their available job listings since they get a cut as the middleman.) Go on their websites, these two in particular and apply for all jobs that fit.

3.) Post your resume on monster, hotjobs, etc. and apply to all availabe jobs (research associate I, clinical research coordinator, lab assistant, manufacturing technician, etc.) or apply directly at the company website
a. I found this to be almost useless. It's annoying apply to 50-75 jobs a wekk and not hearing anything back. A total numbers game.

Reactions: 1 user
work at any of the big pharm companies. if you live in the right area (with lots of opportunities) you can get a sweet paycheck as an entry level. where i work the starting $ for a biologist is $55,000-65,000. We're considered "upper middle" of the pack... some of the other companies pay even better. it's just getting your foot in the door that is the problem. with academic you are looking to start between $25,000-40,000.

hedge fund manager. the new list of top earners came out, and jimmy simons took home $1.7 billion in 2006. well done.
Yep or become a partner in a VC group.