PhD/PsyD Jobs: Time Until Offer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irishgoodbye

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am about halfway through postdoc and have begun the job search. What would you say the average amount of time is between interviewing and getting an offer? I realize this likely varies quite a bit, but having a ball park estimate would be helpful! I am looking at 100% clinical positions at mostly children’s hospitals for reference.

Related, for those that did a bit of negotiating...Anything you are happy you tried to negotiate into your contract or wish you had negotiated for (e.g., PTO, job title, work from home days, etc.)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anywhere between 2 months and ~6 months (VA).

As for negotiation, if you can, get multiple offers. It can lead to a bump of 5 figures in salary if you play it right, and the situation allows.

Reactions: 1 users
Anywhere between 2 months and ~6 months (VA).

As for negotiation, if you can, get multiple offers. It can lead to a bump of 5 figures in salary if you play it right, and the situation allows.

Generous of you to cap the wait for a VA staff position at 6 months, the the OP said getting an offer though . To expand your thinking of the timeline OP, I was offered my current VA position within 24 hours of interviewing (somewhat unusual circumstances), but it took 7 months to get me through credentialing/paperwork and actually start the job. Given that this is entry level @WisNeuro, might be closer to accurate. However, job offers can run the gamut depending on if you are licensed and available to start.

As for negotiating, it will really depend on your leverage (which is usually little for a first job), but getting multiple offers can certainly bump up your money assuming they are comparable (I had salary offers and percentage splits for production, so not easy to compare). When comparing offers make sure to be aware of the amount of work (RVUs etc) that required of you. This can vary somewhat and more money does not necessarily translate to better pay per hour. I would also discuss compensation or expectations for any other duties that may be required (on-call coverage, supervision duties, etc). If you qualify for anything like loan repayment get it in writing at the time you sign your contract.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Generous of you to cap the wait for a VA staff position at 6 months, the the OP said getting an offer though . To expand your thinking of the timeline OP, I was offered my current VA position within 24 hours of interviewing (somewhat unusual circumstances), but it took 7 months to get me through credentialing/paperwork and actually start the job. Given that this is entry level @WisNeuro, might be closer to accurate. However, job offers can run the gamut depending on if you are licensed and available to start.

As for negotiating, it will really depend on your leverage (which is usually little for a first job), but getting multiple offers can certainly bump up your money assuming they are comparable (I had salary offers and percentage splits for production, so not easy to compare). When comparing offers make sure to be aware of the amount of work (RVUs etc) that required of you. This can vary somewhat and more money does not necessarily translate to better pay per hour. I would also discuss compensation or expectations for any other duties that may be required (on-call coverage, supervision duties, etc). If you qualify for anything like loan repayment get it in writing at the time you sign your contract.

Thanks, this is helpful! I have two interviews and it seems as though one requires about 24 hours of face to face/week + lower pay, and the other is closer to 28 hours of face to face/week + higher pay (~5k more). If anyone can speak to the work life balance of that many hours of direct care I’d love to hear your thoughts!

24 hours of face to face/week + lower pay, and the other is closer to 28 hours of face to face/week + higher pay (~5k more)
$5000/12 months = $417/month to see 16 extra clients (or ~$26 per extra session).

5 pts a day, day in day out, is much better for my sanity than 6 generally speaking. But setting, your workplace dynamics, and your finances are obviously very important.

Reactions: 2 users