Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PatsyStone

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When in residency did you all start applying for jobs? How soon is too soon and how late is too late? Most people I know seemed to start applying 18 months in advance, but this just seems so early (but then again, this may be because I have no idea how these things work).

Members don't see this ad.

When in residency did you all start applying for jobs? How soon is too soon and how late is too late? Most people I know seemed to start applying 18 months in advance, but this just seems so early (but then again, this may be because I have no idea how these things work).

I started looking around Sept/Oct of my final year of residency. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who start looking/applying for jobs in like 4th year of medical school or something, but I found <12 months to work perfectly fine.

I started looking around Sept/Oct of my final year of residency. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who start looking/applying for jobs in like 4th year of medical school or something, but I found <12 months to work perfectly fine.

how do you go about finding jobs in a location different from where your residency program is? Headhunters or cold calling?

Members don't see this ad :)

I think 12 months ahead of time is more than enough. For some states and some insurance companies, licensing and credentialing can take 6 months so if you are certain you want to start immediately after residency, I think 6 - 12 months beforehand is more than enough time.

how do you go about finding jobs in a location different from where your residency program is? Headhunters or cold calling?

- Cold calling works

- Headhunters work too (it's how I found my current job) but they can be very annoying

- Reaching out to residency alumni who may be in the area

- Asking faculty members to see if they have any connections in the area

- Using AAD Career Compass

- Cold calling works

- Headhunters work too (it's how I found my current job) but they can be very annoying

- Reaching out to residency alumni who may be in the area

- Asking faculty members to see if they have any connections in the area

- Using AAD Career Compass

Agree 100%. If you know where you want to end up, there is no harm in looking and potentially signing early in training. I knew of a few co-residents who signed in their first year of training and got stipends from their future practice. This can be very helpful during residency, especially if you have kids (like I did) and need to pay for daycare etc.