Johns Hopkins 2022 Summer Pharmacy Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cascas202020

Reaction score
Hi all! I hope all is well! I heard that most of the students who applied for the Johns Hopkins 2022 Pharmacy Internship had heard some news (I am one of them) and was eager to meet our fellow intern class! If you also heard back regarding the internship, let me know!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all! I hope all is well! I heard that most of the students who applied for the Johns Hopkins 2022 Pharmacy Internship had heard some news (I am one of them) and was eager to meet our fellow intern class! If you also heard back regarding the internship, let me know!!

You are so excited that you posted it twice!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Hey, I got in too! I was assigned to the Oncology department. How about you? I'm also trying to find a roommate/housing for the duration of the internship... if you're also looking for housing, please let me know as well :)

Members don't see this ad :)
lol ok and... so that allows them to be snarky?

Look - I can’t help but to come on here now and then just to see how excited all these new lemmings are about the nightmare that they are about to partake of.

In any case - I wish you all the luck in the world, you will need it…. Even if you are able to put the words “john Hopkins” on your resume.

Reactions: 2 users
What is a summer internship for? Is it like a residency?

Do they get APPE credits out of this? Or are they doing something extra?
No this is something extra. Every year, Johns Hopkins accepts 20 people for 9 weeks summer internship. It does not apply toward HIPPE or APPE unfortunately because it’s a paid internship.

What is a summer internship for? Is it like a residency?
As JustFillIt stated above, it’s more for the prestige of having Johns Hopkins in our CV. It’s not a PGY program, no. And I'm sure we'll get to learn a lot from the experience as well. But having the brand in our CV will be prob also be helpful to be more competitive.

Last edited:
Cool opportunity. Be a sponge and soak up some knowledge and network as much as possible. Most people won't care about the CV padding.

Reactions: 1 users
That's so exciting! I was thinking about starting a groupchat with the accepted interns to get to know each other? If you have a linkedIn or social media platform, send me a message!

Members don't see this ad :)
Look - I can’t help but to come on here now and then just to see how excited all these new lemmings are about the nightmare that they are about to partake of.

In any case - I wish you all the luck in the world, you will need it…. Even if you are able to put the words “john Hopkins” on your resume.
Nightmare? Need all the luck in the world? It's going extremely well for me and I honestly don't want it to end lol. I'm assuming you've been apart of this internship to be so sure of what our experiences would be like?

Nightmare? Need all the luck in the world? It's going extremely well for me and I honestly don't want it to end lol. I'm assuming you've been apart of this internship to be so sure of what our experiences would be like?

Give it more time. And - I’m taking about more than just the candy land experience you are paying to have right now.

And you are right - I wouldn’t want it to end either. Once reality sets in is when it gets ugly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I was like that too during my school time. Then reality hit…But we never know, maybe now is golden time again for pharmacy with sign on bonuses everywhere. Rural mostly but yeah, I haven’t seen that for a longest time.

Give it more time. And - I’m taking about more than just the candy land experience you are paying to have right now.

And you are right - I wouldn’t want it to end either. Once reality sets in is when it gets ugly.
This here is facts. It’s cute OP doesn’t know what they’re in for yet, no one is being snarky, just giving you the reality OP.

I was like that too during my school time. Then reality hit…But we never know, maybe now is golden time again for pharmacy with sign on bonuses everywhere. Rural mostly but yeah, I haven’t seen that for a longest time.
Nope, bonuses were driven by lack of pharmacists “willing” to work, not any shortage of pharmacists by a long shot (and bonuses have hard stipulations such as if you’re fired/leave you have to pay it back, 40% taken out, some have APR clauses, etc., and are even usually only in stores no one wants to take, in addition to the salary being low so even with bonuses it’s still crappy pay). Still 15,000 every year, and the loan pauses made some of them a bit braver to stick it to the 3 letter but once loans resume, you’ll see them flock back for 35/hr.

Last edited:
Just curious but this question goes to the students in here. Are you guys aware of the saturation issue and have plans for that? I know someone who just graduated pharm school but am now going into medical school

Just curious but this question goes to the students in here. Are you guys aware of the saturation issue and have plans for that? I know someone who just graduated pharm school but am now going into medical school
Doubt they are given their responses/general attitude, and “saturation” is a very mild way to put it. I’m sure they’ve heard of “saturation”, but they are unlikely to be fully aware of how bad it is, that Pharmacy has the worst outlook of any profession out there by reputable resources (-2%), that it’s constantly ranked last in healthcare profession rankings, and that in 2017 70,000 people applied to pharmacy school, by 2021 that number became 39,000 (almost half) while they still pushed the same 15,000 students every year. I’m sure they are also unlikey to be aware of the work conditions, 75-80k salaries for new grads, and that even PGY PharmDs are having trouble getting jobs. They think having a John Hopkins internship on their resume will somehow sway the odds in their favor. And the whole “as long as you’re willing to move” BS has been overplayed so much and used as as excuse for so long, it isn’t even true anymore.

But... but the possibilities are doublin'

I watched this video for the first time today. It’s confirmed - the new generation of pharmacists are completely brain dead.

The dean is a freaking weirdo too…

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

the actors ahem i mean students in the video have a higher chance of making it on broadway than doing research, innovation, or whatever they believe a pharmD purportedly enables them to do

lol do these students realize these summer "internship" programs are the same stuff you would be doing if you were on your IPPE/APPE hospital rotations in school? You are pretty much a cheaper version of a technician who is enthusiastic about doing projects assigned by admin

Last edited:
lol do you these students realize these summer "internship" programs are the same stuff you would be doing if you were on your IPPE/APPE hospital rotations in school? You are pretty much a cheaper version of a technician who is enthusiastic about doing projects assigned by admin

No - they do not realize this. The kickback from student loans does something to peoples brains. They think that this sort of treatment will never end. That, somehow, there will always be another windfall on the horizon.