Johns Hopkins Internet Based MPH program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etoile

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about this program?

Also, does it really matter which "track" you specialize in? Once you have the MPH can you diversify? I'm into international health, but if I don't want to live abroad or somewhere like DC forever, will I still be able to find something?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello folks,

I can't tell you too much about the JHU Online Masters program, but I do know a physician that I used to work with who was doing the program. I personally think that it's a great option for someone who is busy and can't get away from work to sit in a classroom (e.g., someone who already has a terminal degree). But I think that if you're younger, say fresh out of college, or even a couple of year out, that there is a benefit to in classroom learning with the benefit of interacting with your peers and professors. This may be important if you choose to use one of these professors as a reference for future studies (e.g., medical school). I'm not saying that they can't get to know you online, but it's much less genuine when all they have to go from is your work on a computer. I do suppose that you'd be able to talk to your professor via phone if you need help, but it's still not the same. Just my opinion. Someone with more experience with the program will probably be able to inform you better.

As far as your concentration for the Master of Public Health degree, you need to choose something that you are interested in and will use in the future. Going to a school in a particular region are doesn't mean that you'll be stuck in that area in terms of employment. Public health jobs vary widely, and you would be able to go almost anywhere. For examples of jobs, take a look at the Public Health Employment Connection website: http://cfusion.sph.emory.edu/PHEC/phec.cfm. If you're not convinced, and medical school is your ultimate goal: I obtained my degree in health behavior/health education and I'm doing a fellowship with CDC; I also work with another person who obtained her degree in IH; we've both gotten into medical school. The moral of the story is to do whatever suits you best, something that you you have a genuine interest in and will use in years to come (which you've identified as an International Health position). You can start by looking at schools with IH pograms (e.g., Hopkins, Tulane, Michigan), talk to people in those departments, and find out where their graduates have gone. This should give you a good idea about the opportunities available to you.

Good luck in your search.

Best,
H&T