1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Johns Hopkins MD vs. Duke MSTP

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by fresca, May 2, 2004.

1. fresca

fresca New Member

I really loved Johns Hopkins, but I'm not sure if going to Duke would be the best thing financially and for my career. I think I want to still do academic medicine, but perhaps be more clinically focused. I am also interested in maybe a surgery subspecialty, so do you think the PhD will benefit me that much in residency matching? :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vwhan

vwhan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You will get an excellent education at either one of the instititions. If you go to Duke's MD/PHD program you won't have any debt after graduation, versus 4 years of loans for Hopkins. Having a PhD will open so many doors for you, and possibly matching easier. I am not sure how old you are but 3 more years of education for the PhD portion will go by quickly. I know a few general surgeons that went for their PhD during residency. I say go for it at Duke.

Hany

4. Vader

Vader Dark Lord of the Sith
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The MSTP route is primarily for those individuals interested in careers in medicine and basic biomedical research.

It sounds like you are having considerable doubts. I am surprised that you are unsure at this point whether to pursue an MD or MD/PhD. It seems like a decision you would have made much earlier.

The stipend and getting into a better residency are not primary reasons for spending an extra 3-4 years completing a thesis for the PhD. If you cannot see yourself doing basic research, then going through a PhD program is probably not worth it and you will likely be less than motivated to finish. Instead, you might consider going the MD route and taking a year off to do research, especially something along the lines of what you are more interested in (i.e. the surgical subspecialty).

Hope this helps.