Johns Hopkins MD vs. Duke MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fresca

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really loved Johns Hopkins, but I'm not sure if going to Duke would be the best thing financially and for my career. I think I want to still do academic medicine, but perhaps be more clinically focused. I am also interested in maybe a surgery subspecialty, so do you think the PhD will benefit me that much in residency matching? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

You will get an excellent education at either one of the instititions. If you go to Duke's MD/PHD program you won't have any debt after graduation, versus 4 years of loans for Hopkins. Having a PhD will open so many doors for you, and possibly matching easier. I am not sure how old you are but 3 more years of education for the PhD portion will go by quickly. I know a few general surgeons that went for their PhD during residency. I say go for it at Duke.

Hany

The MSTP route is primarily for those individuals interested in careers in medicine and basic biomedical research.

It sounds like you are having considerable doubts. I am surprised that you are unsure at this point whether to pursue an MD or MD/PhD. It seems like a decision you would have made much earlier.

The stipend and getting into a better residency are not primary reasons for spending an extra 3-4 years completing a thesis for the PhD. If you cannot see yourself doing basic research, then going through a PhD program is probably not worth it and you will likely be less than motivated to finish. Instead, you might consider going the MD route and taking a year off to do research, especially something along the lines of what you are more interested in (i.e. the surgical subspecialty).

Hope this helps.