Johns Hopkins MHS program 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

astronaut_lionking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was recently accepted into the John's Hopkins Master of Health Science program in the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology department of the Bloomberg Public Health school. I was wondering if anyone else has applied or has also been accepted for this upcoming fall???

Members don't see this ad.

I was recently accepted but have also not accepted the offer yet! I am waiting to hear back from another program. Are you planning to apply to medical school after this program if you attend? or a PhD? What are your research interests?

Reactions: 1 user
I was recently accepted but have also not accepted the offer yet! I am waiting to hear back from another program. Are you planning to apply to medical school after this program if you attend? or a PhD? What are your research interests?

Omg! Wow I didn't expect anyone to reply and thought I might be the only person who even applied haha. But I do plan on applying to medical school after completing the program. Tbh, I'm not too sure what I'm really interested in research-wise, perhaps something involving the molecular/cellular aspects that contribute to obesity and chronic diseases like diabetes. But I am more interested in the public health aspect of it so I'll be trying to get into health education and working within the community. How about you?

I'm likely going to accept the offer this week since I was recently approved for financial aid. What other program are you applying for?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to the Duke MBS program, but I will likely accept Hopkins this week also. I am planning on applying to medical school as well as some PhD programs after Hopkins! I am interested in cancer research and how cell signaling from healthy cells affects the progression of cancer through its various stages. I would love to get into an MD/PhD program, but it will depend on how this new MCAT goes later this year. How did you find out if you would be approved for financial aid/scholarships/loans/etc? Now that I am accepted, I'm starting to think about the financial aspect a little more haha, it's a pretty pricy program. Maybe they have some research assistantship programs or other student work funding opportunities!

Yes! You should accept, too! It would be awesome to finally know someone doing the program. Will you be going to the accepted students day? I'm hoping this program will inspire me to get into research bc tbh, I've never really been interested in research. (Which might be bad to say considering JHU is known for that) but I'm keeping an open mind. I'd just prefer to do outreach type of work. But anyway, are you planning to take the new MCAT this year? I'm still deciding if I want to take it this year or next year or even at all again (I've taken it twice already). And I applied for financial aid already through the FAFSA and the JHU ISIS website

Oops I accidentaly sent it prematurely.

But yeah I applied for financial aid and heard back about a week+ later. I don't think they have much scholarships available for masters students that aren't pursuing MPH degrees. I'm taking out a lot in loans but also was approved for work study. :/ You're right, it's a very pricy program but I think (and hope) it will be worth it. I like how it is a public health degree so if med school doesn't work out right away, I could still use the degree to get a public health-related job and work until I do get in.

I will be going to the accepted students day on April 10th! I will apply for financial aid through FASFA asap, haha. I really like both the research and clinical side of things, so I will definitely eventually go to medical school. But I think research would be better to do before making that commitment. I currently work as a nurses assistant, monitor tech, and unit secretary for a neuro ICU. I've been there for 2 years and 1500ish hours. Also have cadaver lab experience and a lot of physician shadowing. Research is just where my mind is at currently before I devote all my time to patients. And yeah I'm planning on taking the new MCAT on one of the dates in July or early August. I have a minor in Psychology, and have taken a 3 sociology courses in undergrad, so I think the new format will play more to my strengths than the previous format. I'll be taking a Kaplan course this summer (self studied for the first test). I'm hoping the structure will help me delegate my study time more effectively. My physical sciences were weak and I spent the first month of my study time strictly with physics (have only taken 2 easyish physics courses in my life), but I eventually pulled it up substantially... Hopefully we will see each other at the accepted students day!

Very nice with the work study! Do you know what options they have for that?

Nice! Yeah we should definitely meet up there so I have someone I kinda know haha. Where are you from? That's some experience! I've been an ER scribe for the past 2 years (3000+ clinical hours, 6000+ patients) and I'm just in love with the clinical aspect of medicine and helping people. But I don't have any research experience so it might do me some good to get into it. I did okay with the physical and bio sections (10 each) but the verbal killed me. So I might end up having to take it again but I don't wanna stress out about anymore this year.

As for the work study, I don't know what my options are just yet. I have to accept the award and the admission offer and then apparently I have to go on some website to view the options and set up a schedule with whoever is in charge. It's a first come first serve basis so I really need to do it soon!

It doesn't really say on their website, but can a pre-med committee letter be used for the recommendation letter requirement?

It doesn't really say on their website, but can a pre-med committee letter be used for the recommendation letter requirement?

Hi. I think you need 3 letters. One of mine was a committee letter but I still had 3. But don't quote me on that, you should email them to ask.

I am a current MHS student in the MMI department. The program and environment here at the school are incredible. You will find that most MHS students are applying to medical school as well. It has increased my learning so much and there are so many ways to get involved with research or outreach. You can all message me if you have any questions. I have taken multiple classes in the BMB department as well as with BMB students.

-Matt

Last edited:
I am a current MHS student in the MMI department. The program and environment here at the school are incredible. You will find that most MHS students are applying to medical school as well. It has increased my learning so much and there are so many ways to get involved with research or outreach. You can all message me if you have any questions. I have taken multiple classes in the BMB department as well as with BMB students.

-Matt

Hi everyone, I'm going to the MHS program in the International Health Department,
I look forward to this program yet I'm not too confident about my "quantitative background and undergraduate coursework in calculus"

What types of statistical or quantitative skills do you think one should at least have before starting class?

Thanks!

Hi everyone, I'm going to the MHS program in the International Health Department,
I look forward to this program yet I'm not too confident about my "quantitative background and undergraduate coursework in calculus"

What types of statistical or quantitative skills do you think one should at least have before starting class?

Thanks!

I am not familiar with the MHS program in that department, so I cannot really comment on that. But if it is anything like mine, there is a good amount of flexibility for you to be able to take the classes you want and have skills already for.

Hi everyone!

I was recently accepted into the John's Hopkins Master of Health Science program in the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology department of the Bloomberg Public Health school. I was wondering if anyone else has applied or has also been accepted for this upcoming fall???

Congratulations on your admission! I'm thinking of applying for this program for next fall (2016), I was wondering if you could share your stats?
Thanks!

Hi I was considering the MBM program- could someone share what the admission requirements are? I couldn't find stats for GPA or MCAT? I have a 3.1 cGPA (taking MCAT in the summer)? Also how good would the program be for someone with my undergrad stats who wants to eventually go into medical school (lets say if I get 3.6+ gpa at JHU)? Thanks!