Johns Hopkins Post Bacc apps for 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

9675flamingo

9675flamingo
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Fellow SDNers,

I just can't seem to locate a thread for those of us that applied to JHU Post Bacc in September of 2013. Am I the only one? Please chime in!!

I am a career changer, seeking to move over from Psychiatric Social Work to Psychiatry, and needing to take all my sciences to do so.

I did receive a SKYPE interview from JHU. Did anyone else?

Anyone have a clue how long between a Skype and a rejection, or a Skype and an interview on campus???

Waiting, waiting, waiting.........

:shrug:

Members don't see this ad.

I sent in my application last week! How long did it take for you to hear from them about a skype interview?

My Application went in on Sep 3rd and I got my invite to Skype on Oct. 8th. I really wish that anyone who has been through the JHU post bacc admission process would let me know how long it seems to be between the time you Skype and get rejected, or you Skype and are invited to campus. Nerves are jangled at this point....

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting, it sounds like they might have recently changed their admissions process -- when I applied two years ago, I think they only offered Skype interviews to people who were either abroad or who couldn't afford to travel to Baltimore. So I only had an on-campus interview.

I (inadvertently) sped up their decisions process when I was accepted into my first-choice postbac program and contacted them to withdraw my application -- then the director very kindly asked me to reconsider. So I guess that's one option if you hear back from other programs!

I think generally the decision is pretty quick for most people (within a month), but I've heard of some applicants being put "on hold" right up until April (basically, waitlisted to see if stronger candidates apply), so if you fall into the murky category of pretty strong but not stellar, you may have some time, unfortunately...

Good luck!

Hi 9675flamingo,

I submitted a week and a half ago, and haven't heard anything yet. I'm guessing that they're starting to see a rush of applications as everyone gets things together, so things might take a little longer.

Good luck!

I am looking to apply as well! I was wondering if you guys can share your stats with me? GPA/GRE Thanks!

Hi Future Doc,

I am a 52 year old Non Trad. Licensed Clinical Social Worker in 2 states, certified for private practice, been in the field 18 years. I want to go to med school for Psychiatry. I have not had my sciences. My undergrad was 3.73. My Graduate was 3.63. I am an Alumni of Syracuse University. Lot's of community volunteering, tons of clinical experience in hospitals, community health centers, and as a mental health clinician. 5000 hours of chemical dependency counseling. Currently volunteering with TBI children at a Therapeutic Riding Center, and 4 hours a week on a med/surg floor at the local hospital. Honestly, not a lick of research experience - one of the reasons I desire Hopkins. Live and work in Maryland - have residency there - which helps in terms of financial aid and another reason I desire Hopkins. I'm white, husband is black, Johns Hopkins family had a long history of advocacy for Abolition at a time it was not popular in this area of the South - another reason I desire Hopkins. First Board of directors of the school was made up of women, who mandated 1/2 of the doctors educated need to be women - another reason I desire Hopkins. I started in human services as a nurse's aide in 1981 - wiping butts, changing diapers, feeding, bathing, and positioning geriatric patients.....and it has gone on from there. Never took a GRE - at the time I went to Syracuse, they did not require it. Only have my old SAT's from 1977. Just hoping the strength of my clinical experience will carry me.

Sorry to hear that 9675 Flamingo :( BUT, you aren't really back to square one at least! It's still early enough in the application season for you to submit apps to other prestigious Post Bac programs if that's the route you want to take (Goucher and Bryn Mawr come to mind). You can also still (no real deadline) work on a DIY postbac at a college near you, as long as you remember to take the lab component with the science reqs.

Best of Luck to you.

Hey 9675 Flamingo, I'm really sorry to hear that, too. But like SeverusSnape said, there are lots of good options out there, and it is still early enough to get in somewhere else. This journey is definitely not easy, but you will find something that works for you :)

9675 Flamingo, just my two cents, but maybe you should take the next month or two or three (depending on your needs) and study for the GRE. Though the extracurricular side of your application is robust, having been out of academia for a while there is no way for the school to determine if you are currently prepped to succeed in their school. Your extracurriculars are above average and they do attest to your passion for medicine, from the brief description of your situation I think showing that you can still succeed in academics is important. As stated before the GRE is essential to improving your situation, but I would also look into taking a class or two as a non-matric. at your local University, or if financial limitations don't make this a feasible plan, take a few classes at community college.

I'm not in Med school yet, nor have I applied to post-bacc.s this plan is simply what I would do in your situation so take it with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all! I have also applied to JHU HSI for June 2014. Completed my application a couple of weeks ago so just playing the waiting game now! I participated in Dr. Tan's online open house and it was very helpful. I know it is a new program but they seem very confident in their ability to get their students into medical school. I love that they have an MCAT prep course and will have advisers available for their students until they are accepted into med school, however long it takes. My personal story is a little long but I originally started out strong in my undergrad and slowly made some very stupid choices and let my grades drop. I transferred to a better school and got my degree in clinical lab science, which I think is a very good background to have for the medical field. I am now trying to redeem myself and my grades and I know that Johns Hopkins program will help me do that! So if anyone has any advice for the interview or anything let me know :) Thanks!

This is the beginning of the "busy season" for post bac apps so I wouldn't worry too much if you don't hear anything for a little while. You could also call the office to inquire as to the status of your application, but maybe update them on something you've accomplished since then? It's always nice to be able to make your application a little bit more robust and get some information at the same time.

Hello Fellow SDNers,

I just can't seem to locate a thread for those of us that applied to JHU Post Bacc in September of 2013. Am I the only one? Please chime in!!

I am a career changer, seeking to move over from Psychiatric Social Work to Psychiatry, and needing to take all my sciences to do so.

I did receive a SKYPE interview from JHU. Did anyone else?

Anyone have a clue how long between a Skype and a rejection, or a Skype and an interview on campus???

Waiting, waiting, waiting.........

:shrug:

Can 9675flamingo or anybody else tell me what the 30 minute skype interview was like? I have mine on December 3rd, and I've been preparing answers for the basic med school interview questions, but would really appreciate more specific advice or information.

If anyone who was accepted could message me, I have a few questions. Please and thanks.