Johns Hopkins Post Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CJC

Post Bacc
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current Johns Hopkins post bacc student. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM me. I was accepted to Bryn Mawr as well, but chose JHU. I applied and got straight up rejected from Goucher (like w/in a week) and Scripps.

Members don't see this ad.

hi cjc,

what do you think of the JHU post-bac so far? why did you choose this program over the brym mawr one (and what is your background, if you don't mind sharing)? also, do you know what medical schools students who complete the program are accepted to?

thanks!!
at

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got accepted to JHU! It wasn't on my top list of choices but when I went out to visit I was really surprised by the program. There are so many great things about the program from the tutorials to the MCAT prep they're starting this year to the new director from Goucher. I haven't decided if I'm going to accept yet but it's definitely one of my top choices now. I'd definitely recommend looking into the program.

I'm submitting my application to JHU in the next couple of weeks and am worried about it being kind of late in the game - what do people think?

Hi,I currently a senior with one semester to go and a 3.14 GPA.will JHU accept me for a post-bacc?
And it seems theres an MCAT prep involved.how feasible are my chances of getting in considering i havent taken the MCAT at all and some post-baccs require that.
THanks,oh and when should I apply?:)

Johns Hopkins does not require that you take the MCAT before hand. If you have taken the MCATs and many science courses during your undergad, this program is not for you. I think it is for career changers. What I had mentioned previously is that JHU is starting something to help student prepare for the MCAT. I know some schools do not have formal MCAT prep.

I don't think it's too late to be applying. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If anybody has gone through the interview process for the program I would really appreciate any tips, I've got an interview on Thursday and it's my first one of the sort.

Irish09, I went through the interview process in December. I would recommend preparing by talking through the reasons you want to do the Post Bac. Liza is pretty intimidating, but the students had warned me ahead of time that she may come off like that but she's really great. One of the things that threw me during my interview was that she kept asking me how did I really know this was what I wanted to do since I had so little clinical experience.

Goodluck!

How did that interview go? I've got one at the end of the week. I'm a little bit nervous about answering the "how do you really know this is what you want to do" question, as I've only just begun volunteering in a hospital and I haven't shadowed anyone yet. Any ideas on how to handle that? Any advice in general?

Also a question to those who have done JHU's program - how many classes do you take at a time? I know some other programs suggest only taking 2 lab sciences at a time to ensure that you can do well enough, and I was curious if you take more at once at JHU and, if so, how manageable it was. Thanks!

Also - about how long did it take you guys to hear back after your interview? Thanks!

I heard back about an acceptance decision 4 days after my interview.

I have my own question though for any JHU people out there or for people in a similar position. I was accepted into both JHU and Bryn Mawr and I am now struggling to decide between the too.

I know Bryn Mawr has the history of being the oldest and one of the best programs but everyone I talk to, from parents to doctor friends, seem to be enamored with the Hopkins name. I loved both places but for some reason I am leaning towards Bryn Mawr. Is there anyone here to persuade me one way or the other?

Thanks!

I heard back about an acceptance decision 4 days after my interview.

I have my own question though for any JHU people out there or for people in a similar position. I was accepted into both JHU and Bryn Mawr and I am now struggling to decide between the too.

I know Bryn Mawr has the history of being the oldest and one of the best programs but everyone I talk to, from parents to doctor friends, seem to be enamored with the Hopkins name. I loved both places but for some reason I am leaning towards Bryn Mawr. Is there anyone here to persuade me one way or the other?

Thanks!

BM is a more established program and has a longer track record of success. Their students do very well whether they apply in the open pool or link.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone speak to the grading in the Hopkins program? I'm sure it's curved but does anyone have more specific info? Thanks.

I was rejected today for JHU. I have a 3.65 gpa and thousands of hours in the hospital and ambulance. Must be strict? Good luck to all!

Wow, that's really surprising. Maybe it was the interview?

Haha I wish. Not even offered an interview - rejected within on week of applying. I'm thinking maybe they filter out low SATs without even looking at the app? My SATs were 630 Math - 600 Writing - and 530 Critical Reading (I wasn't so critical at reading).

But Math/ Science 4.0 and Nursing Major GPA has to be at least a 3.8. My school requires philosophy and religion classes which are beyond my talents.

Looking back, do any of you have further advice for the interview? I will be interviewing next week.

Haha I wish. Not even offered an interview - rejected within on week of applying. I'm thinking maybe they filter out low SATs without even looking at the app? My SATs were 630 Math - 600 Writing - and 530 Critical Reading (I wasn't so critical at reading).

But Math/ Science 4.0 and Nursing Major GPA has to be at least a 3.8. My school requires philosophy and religion classes which are beyond my talents.

It could have been that.

A friend of mine who had a 3.4-3.5 GPA at a top ten school, and the same in a masters program from Johns Hopkins, and a 1580 GRE (800 verbal, 780 math !), was interviewed, wait listed, and then rejected. He probably didnt have enough health experience, you guys together would have been dynamite.

I was rejected today for JHU. I have a 3.65 gpa and thousands of hours in the hospital and ambulance. Must be strict? Good luck to all!

Yeah, JHU rejected me this year, too.

I have a 3.5, have been a researcher for TWO NIH-funded studies, volunteered in the ER for nearly a year, was an Executive of a premedical group, shadowed, had two glowing letters of rec, AND was a student-athlete.

*Shrug*

I hope it all works out brilliantly for you guys :D

The grading at Hopkins is on the undergrad scale. Most of the classes are with over 100 undergrads, so the curve typically works in the favor of the Postbacs...undergrads don't work as hard.

Yeah, JHU rejected me this year, too.

I have a 3.5, have been a researcher for TWO NIH-funded studies, volunteered in the ER for nearly a year, was an Executive of a premedical group, shadowed, had two glowing letters of rec, AND was a student-athlete.

*Shrug*

Me three, I wasn't even granted an interview :(

3.9 in international development & french linguistics, volunteering/ shadowing experience abroad (2 summers), local hospital (2 years)...no research though...maybe that's why I was rejected?

oh well, congrats to everybody else :)

did you folks who were rejected already take some science courses before? Hopkins doesn't accept re-takers...

did you folks who were rejected already take some science courses before? Hopkins doesn't accept re-takers...

I took intro bio and g chem 1+2 with no lab, so I don't see how those two classes would count...right?

I only took a semester of chem, and one semester of physics. I didn't want to retake them, just wanted to continue. I feel like that one semester of two classes wouldn't be enough to boot me out of the running. But, I don't know...

Hi emtdan,

Are you still around on the SDN? I am also from Casper and have a few questions regarding school. I could definitely use your opinion. Thanks!

I'm a current Johns Hopkins post bacc student. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM me. I was accepted to Bryn Mawr as well, but chose JHU. I applied and got straight up rejected from Goucher (like w/in a week) and Scripps.

Hello I would like to ask you a few questions.

Hi there! I'd love to pick your ear about the JHU process, did you have a preliminary interview? What were the steps after that i.e waiting period. How long did it take you to hear back from Bryn Mawr and Goucher- I have all materials submitted but haven't heard back yet. In my defense, the PostbacCAS is still processing one transcript from ONE CLASS I took in highschool, so not sure if that is a reason why my application is not being read yet?