Johns Hopkins?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spud

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about this program? Basically, all I've heard is that is not a very strong program and EM gets "pushed around" by all the other departments. Anyone heard anything else?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I interview at Hopkins a few days ago and had the opportunity to speak with many of the residents at length. I did not get the impressions that the program was malignant; the residents seemed very happy. I also did not get the impression that the interactions between medicine/surgery and EM were particularly different then at most other institutions. The EM residents rotate through Medicine and the Medicine interns rotate through EM so both services get to know eahc other and are often very friendly outside of work. The EM atendings have the final stay in any admission decision.
I was very impressed with program director and the rest of the faculty. They strongly support you in developing your interests outside of the clinical experience and have immense resources to assist you.

Anyone who places a lot of weight in what a program's residents have to say about their own program has to, pardon the expression, sorta kinda pull their head out of their butt.

Few people are less biased that an a residency's current members.

A program's job is to sell itself. Have you been advertising your weaknesses on interviews? Well neither are the programs.

Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer about how to get a good feel for a program. (Perhaps a med student who rotated through the department?)
But to judge a program by what the faculty and residents say on interview day...that's got bad move written all over it.

I would spend a least one shift working/observing in any program that I am seriously considering. At one program, all it took was for me to overhear an ED attending grovelingly suck up to medicine on the phone for me to get a pretty good picture of the power the ED doesn't yield.

I also want to mention that there seems to be paradox in E Med; namely, that the stronger the med/surg departments of the hospital, the more crap the ED takes.

So many trade-offs.

Spud, I've heard similar feedback re. Hopkins from sources.

Members don't see this ad :)
for what it's worth...one of our ed chiefs is a recent(approx 5 years ago) hopkins grad and has only good things to say about the program....

So what did he say about the program?

Hopkins: great name, but I would not consider ranking them.
I'm not going to go into why because I've noticed everyone reads this site, and relatively no one posts.
Anyway, I definately would not rank them.

Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I applied to Hopkins but whoop-de-ding I haven't heard anything from them whatsoever. Who knows, although I'm a DO applicant I think I'm still a good candidate, but, whatever.

Talkign to residents from other programs who interviewed there, they were not impressed, and like the posters above said, the Med/Surg programs are very strong, and sometimes that can result in a tougher time for the EM residents. From what I hear, that may be the case at JHU.
Q

Originally posted by slammy
I'm not going to go into why because I've noticed everyone reads this site, and relatively no one posts.

Huh? I average 4 1/2 posts a day, and Mike hits 2 a day; Quinn is a meager 1 post every 2 days, but, we all do our share - search and you'll see that we give our reasons and who's a dud and who isn't. Yours is like saying "I'm not voting for him because he won't win".

Give up the info!

Originally posted by Apollyon
Huh? I average 4 1/2 posts a day, and Mike hits 2 a day; Quinn is a meager 1 post every 2 days, but, we all do our share - search and you'll see that we give our reasons and who's a dud and who isn't. Yours is like saying "I'm not voting for him because he won't win".

Give up the info!

Come on brother-man! I've been on SDN for FOUR years, and I really only started posting this past year, so in reality I am posting 4-6 a day (as long as I'm near a computer).

And we all know I divulge all my information, posting up pictures of my bosoms and what not.
Q

There are two main programs in Baltimore. JHU and Maryland. If I had to choose I would go to Maryland. It is the better of the two programs.
JHU EM is not a household name, and you be better off going down the road to UM. Not to say the docs at JHU aren't good or well-trained but Maryland has a better EM reputation, despite the probation they were on a few years back. It was a BS situation from all accounts. Plus they have a brand new ED, and the world reknowned Shock Trauma to boot.

Well I recently interviewed there and got the impression the residents were very happy with the program. Also, the program director along with some of hte attendings were very easy-going and nice to interview with. I also interviewed at UMaryland and didn't like their program. The residents seemed tired and overworked - you do a crapload of trauma while you're there (good for some, but I think it's not really bread and butter of EM). Hopkins was also very pro-resident.

Downside to JH - no moonlighting!!! They are very strict on this rule. Cool thing - they have great international medicine and and opportunity to work with the Secret Service!

Let me know what you guys thought/heard.