Joining a PhD Candidate alongside his research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

babagandu2424

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’ve gotten the opportunity to do a year long research stint under an oncologist (during normal academic term) at a cancer hospital in my city; though, I’ll be joining a PhD student as it is technically his work. Has anyone done this? Or is it more common for students to undergo independent research roles?

For context, it’s an area I have a strong interest in (CD47 - immune oncology) and I absolutely don’t mind having to technically work under another student. I guess I’m just not sure how to navigate this as I’ll only be helping for a year so unlikely I’ll get my name on any sort of publication?

Any insight would be appreciated.