Joining after med school, can you do residency in the military?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

julestx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a curiousity. Can one complete medical school in a civilian program and then sign up and enter a military-type residency? If so, what are the pro's and con's? Please use civilian terms as my husband and I have absolutely no idea about military life. Family members have asked us about this, and some have mentioned benefits and things like "you would enter as an officer, its so much better!" and "they wont deploy you into any battles because you are highly educated and they will use you only as a doctor" etc. I find this hard to believe, but I would like to know some of the facts.

Just as a general outline, the basic facts/pros/cons at this point will give us something to go by. Thanks to anyone who has the time and a point for us to consider. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

julestx said:
Just a curiousity. Can one complete medical school in a civilian program and then sign up and enter a military-type residency? If so, what are the pro's and con's? Please use civilian terms as my husband and I have absolutely no idea about military life. Family members have asked us about this, and some have mentioned benefits and things like "you would enter as an officer, its so much better!" and "they wont deploy you into any battles because you are highly educated and they will use you only as a doctor" etc. I find this hard to believe, but I would like to know some of the facts.

Just as a general outline, the basic facts/pros/cons at this point will give us something to go by. Thanks to anyone who has the time and a point for us to consider. ;)

The quick answer is that, yes, any service would be happy to take you. If you contact any GME office, they could assist you with the process and various options. The pros and cons of military service are pretty much what this entire forum is about and are very much driven by your specific situation (ie, specialty interest, family situation).