Joint Commission Measurable Elements

Started by Caverject
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Caverject

Full Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anybody know of a good out of the box database program built for measurable element tracking? I absolutely hate having to track what feels like 20,000 excel files and I have no idea how to build an access database...Have any of you had similar experiences and lessons learned to share?

Yeah, I'm looking at you Z man....
 
There 6 medication elements of standard In JC mandate

Selection and procurement
Storage
Prescribing and transcribing
Preparation
Administration
Monitoring.

Basis for all your medication management per JC.

Access is played out....with.the amount of data you will gather, Excel is sufficient.
You can figure where each of these measurement fits..

Med error per 10,000 dosez dispensed
ADR per 10,000 doses.
Medication overrides per 10,000 dosez
5 rights of medication....pick a drug....MDI...
Iv insulin.infusion....review and see cimpliance
Lidocaine use....see if there are proper orders written and administered and documented.
PCA education docume.tation
ESA REMS audit
toradol audit for dosing in patients over 65
Vte propbylaxis in both SCIP and Medical patients....% appropriately receiving AC .
% hypoglycemia .....bg less than 40 who are on insulin...

I can go all day on what to measure.

But the goal of measuring these is to show process improvement and enhance quality of care. Dont measure because you have to measure....
 
Alright...when I remember tomorrow when I get to work, I will give you the measurable element where I am lost how to extract data. Some things are very hard to quantify.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Caver,
I doubt you will be able to just crunch the data to have any meaningful report. I know you cant shoot data my way since its most likely top gov secret but if you can tell me what kind of data you have i might be able to help u. You should still have my email. Really tho....u probably have to do some retrospective chart reviews.