Joint MD degrees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ownit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any pharmacy schools that offer joint MD degrees after gettin a Pharm D degree? How many more years of schooling? What types of fields are offered? Thanx

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any pharmacy schools that offer joint MD degrees after gettin a Pharm D degree? How many more years of schooling? What types of fields are offered? Thanx

None that I'm aware of. I've seen PharmD w/MBA,PhD, or MPH. I'm sure there are other dual degree programs, but I've never seen one with MD.

I've not heard of a PharmD/MD dual degree program. Why PharmD/MD is my question. What do you see that you can gain from doing both? I mean, sure, you'll gain more knowledge on drugs while having the diagnostic skills of a physician, but I would definitely have a weird look on the person thinking that he cannot make up his mind. We do have a guy that had his MD before joining our class, but I honestly don't see the logic in it.

I guess the candid question is what do you want to do with it? I'm sure there are easier ways to do what you want without having to do two doctorate level clinical degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think MD and PharmD fit together either as they take place in two separate environments, even in a hospital. I guess you could be a doctor that dispense your own prescriptions, but that really sounds like a lot of work.

The popular dual degrees for PharmD involve a degree that complements the PharmD degree like research and business administration.

We do have a guy that had his MD before joining our class, but I honestly don't see the logic in it.

That's crazy as he sounds like a relatively old guy still going to school while already shelling out about $100,000 of tuition money already.:eek:

There aren't many, if any states, that allow dual licensureship on MD/PharmD. Conflict of interest.

I have spoken to this pharmacist / Medical Doctor in North Carolina. I asked him about the wierd combination and he told me that he is a pharmacist part time (PRN) basically he works 3 or 4 days per week at the hospital and about 6 days or so per month doing PRN.

He says he just does that for traveling money (he is licensed in several states). he says that when he travels he works a couple of days in that state of his vacation in a retail pharmacy for extra cash.

He says it is also useful bec he has some good relationships with his pharmacists when he has to call in a prescription for his patients.