Jordan- Dental student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnneSoul

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I am a dental student in my last year of study, University of Jordan, Amman-Jordan
With this pandemic, our practice is really not enough and even we stopped seeing patients till 1-4 ,keeping in mind
that it might lasts longer.
So I am really feeling that I am not confident at all with my skills, I face difficulties even with the simplest procedures ( as simple as the anesthesia and rubber dam placement ), so I am thinking of enrolling in a program that can improve my experience and I prefere to do that outside Jordan
Is there any advice, any suggests for certain programs that could help?
Would appreciate any help

Members don't see this ad.

What stops you from hiring a dentist to teach you those procedures? Much cheaper then study in US

What stops you from hiring a dentist to teach you those procedures? Much cheaper then study in US
I tried to shadow and observe many dentists here but I need to practice with my hands instead of just watching, I have good knowledge of how to do them and I watch also many educational videos but when it comes to real patients I get confused.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you truly want to spend $300 thousand to learn class 2 and rubber dam? Watch youtube videos, Stevenson dental solutions for class 2. Get at home practicing kit from ebay and practice

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to practice more while you are in school, do more dental camps in rural communities and ask them to come to your school to take care of their dental needs. That way, you will do more patients while in school plus it builds your resume as well and you are helping those patients.

JU grad here :)

Unfortunately with the pandemic, dental schools had to adjust their clinical requirements even here in the US. What I recommend is to prepare well in advance of the procedure that you will do; go back to the textbook, watch youtube videos, or ask your colleagues to shadow them. Once you graduate, there will be an internship year which would be very helpful. If you are interested in further training, you can also think about dental residency options afterwards.

JU grad here :)

Unfortunately with the pandemic, dental schools had to adjust their clinical requirements even here in the US. What I recommend is to prepare well in advance of the procedure that you will do; go back to the textbook, watch youtube videos, or ask your colleagues to shadow them. Once you graduate, there will be an internship year which would be very helpful. If you are interested in further training, you can also think about dental residency options afterwards.
Glad to know someone from my university!
May I ask if it is normal to graduate with these very limited skills?
You may know that they teach us the very basic concepts compared to US schools
Also we have one cons clinic only every other week! Can you imagine the limited practice that we had?
For example, I did not have the chance to use rotary files for RCT, also I started a bridge preparation but I faced a lot of difficulties to the point that the supervisor came and done most of it ( this was my first and the last fixed work experience) ,so what I am trying to say is that I did not get enough training on real patient
I am really planning to work hard during the internship year and then specialize outside Jordan although I think it might be a long journey.

I think your experience is quite normal for a dental student. I graduated from a UK university pre-covid times, I never used rotary, never did a bridge prep, maybe 3-4 crowns, all composite, no amalgam. Forget about onlays/inlays. We have an internship year and that's where you really build confidence and experience.

As our school liked to remind us, graduating from dental school only means you are a safe beginner.

• Care
Glad to know someone from my university!
May I ask if it is normal to graduate with these very limited skills?
You may know that they teach us the very basic concepts compared to US schools
Also we have one cons clinic only every other week! Can you imagine the limited practice that we had?
For example, I did not have the chance to use rotary files for RCT, also I started a bridge preparation but I faced a lot of difficulties to the point that the supervisor came and done most of it ( this was my first and the last fixed work experience) ,so what I am trying to say is that I did not get enough training on real patient
I am really planning to work hard during the internship year and then specialize outside Jordan although I think it might be a long journey.

As a recent grad, I remember doing a bit more during pre-covid times (including rotary and fixed pros). Our batch was small, so we were lucky to have weekly cons clinics. That said, requirements have been slashed down in other dental schools with the pandemic. I get your frustration but you can focus on what's left and the upcoming internship. Let me know if you have any questions.

As a recent grad, I remember doing a bit more during pre-covid times (including rotary and fixed pros). Our batch was small, so we were lucky to have weekly cons clinics. That said, requirements have been slashed down in other dental schools with the pandemic. I get your frustration but you can focus on what's left and the upcoming internship. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you so much. May I private message you regarding more details about the specialization process and internship year? I would be grateful.