Journal Articles we should know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiredmom

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!
I've noticed during conferences on my 4th year electives that the professors and residents refer to different "landmark" or important research publications that are very influential in our practice. Other than checking out the Green Journal when it comes out - how should we find what older articles we should read? Can y'all suggest studies to be sure to know?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

CANCER is published by American Cancer Society. OR you can read CA is also by them

Some of the examples I've written down from conferences:
- Brill-Edwards NEJM article on who needs to be anticoagulated during pregnancy
- NEJM article on VBAC risks

The attendings throw around the names of articles, but it's hard when none of it sounds familiar.

What else do y'all recommend?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mercer articles on PPROM
Gabbe articles on Diabetes in Pregnancy
Saki (not sure of the spelling) I believe did the research on Preeclampsia

You'll learn over time who the "experts" in each field are and will hear people reference them in articles. The Mercer article is probably one of the more quoted ones in my program.

Peach study on PID
Canadian Collaborative Study on Endometriosis

Cynthia Wong NEJM study
"The Risk of Cesarean Delivery with Neuraxial Analgesia Given Early versus Late in Labor"
Feb 17, 2005 Vol 352 Number 7

I hope you all are giving your moms their epidurals when they ask!

Mercer articles on PPROM
Gabbe articles on Diabetes in Pregnancy
Saki (not sure of the spelling) I believe did the research on Preeclampsia

You'll learn over time who the "experts" in each field are and will hear people reference them in articles. The Mercer article is probably one of the more quoted ones in my program.

Sabai is the preeclampsia guy -- i've heard his article on expectant mgt of severe preeclampsia quoted

So you want to impress???
A little secret find out who will be interviewing and do a pubmed search on this person and the schoolname. If you don't know who will be interviewing doing a pubmed search on OB/Gyn Dept and school will give you a heads up advantage of what the SCHOOL topic of interest is.

BTW relax all. Be yourself and you'll do fine. Don't forget its a long haul..... no need to stress now. If you want it you'll match....

Feel free to email me with specific questions......

Good idea on the pub med search, Diane. I actually wasn't thinking of the articles for interviews. I've just noticed the interns and 2nd years getting quizzed a lot about studies and #s during conferences, so I want to have read the major articles before intern year starts. With a heavier spring schedule than fall schedule (with interview time coming up), I figured I'd have more time to read and get the #s into my palm.

Just wanted to see if there are any more suggestions for articles???