Where should I be applying for aways?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jj929

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Male M3 at mid-tier MD school with one rotation left. Step 1 in low 230's, Honors in all clerkships so far. Unsure about class rank, likely 2nd quartile. A few poster presentations, no publications. I'm starting to think about aways but I'm unsure what kinds of programs I should be applying to? Are there programs that I'm essentially out of the running for due to my not-stellar step score? I'd hate to waste an away on a program thats essentially out of my reach and wouldn't match me anyways

Members don't see this ad.

Male M3 at mid-tier MD school with one rotation left. Step 1 in low 230's, Honors in all clerkships so far. Unsure about class rank, likely 2nd quartile. A few poster presentations, no publications. I'm starting to think about aways but I'm unsure what kinds of programs I should be applying to? Are there programs that I'm essentially out of the running for due to my not-stellar step score? I'd hate to waste an away on a program thats essentially out of my reach and wouldn't match me anyways

You should apply for an away rotation at a program that you would be interested in for residency. Your step score is fine. It is more important that you have received honors so far. You should be able to get an away at any school you apply to.

It doesn't sound like you're out of the running to be considered anywhere. Follow the general advice to apply broadly and do away rotations at places that are really important to you (e.g. if you're wanting to stay in a particular geographic area or want better shot at an interview at a top-tier place). Good luck!