Sparda29

En Taro Adun
10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
New York, New York
Status
Pharmacist
Just a question for other pharmacy students and pharmacists. How often do we have to do these journal clubs/presentations on rotations? Am I going to be doing a lot of researching primary literatures and trials for the next 2 years?

RxWildcat

Julius Randle BEASTMODE!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
I'd count on at least 1 presentation for each rotation, some might have more though. You'll probably look at primary literature almost every day.

Quiksilver

Secundum Artem PharmD
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Status
Pharmacist
Crap I am in the P3 year and I have used more primary literature then text books. Get used to it

PharmDstudent

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Save all of your journal clubs!!! Some preceptors will let you chose an article, so it can really save you time if you can present an article that you've already presented elsewhere. ;)

p-rog

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Save all of your journal clubs!!! Some preceptors will let you chose an article, so it can really save you time if you can present an article that you've already presented elsewhere. ;)
that's pretty clever :thumbup:

Praziquantel86

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Just a question for other pharmacy students and pharmacists. How often do we have to do these journal clubs/presentations on rotations? Am I going to be doing a lot of researching primary literatures and trials for the next 2 years?
Learn to love the literature. You can't avoid it.

PumpkinSmasher

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
****. Guess I should have paid attention in all those "how to" classes for PubMed.
Our medical librarians offer classes for all the students on how to search for literature.

This website may help you learn some of the tricks to doing better Ovid searches. If your school has a medical librarians, ask for a tutorial, they can show you a lot of search tricks.
Refworks is the shizzle!
Scopus has nice tricks as well.
http://www.med.yale.edu/library/education/guides/feature/ovidsp

rxlynn

10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pharmacy Student
Somebody at my school got in a little bit of trouble for doing that.

For the OP, yes you will need to be able to search and use primary literature. The very first week of my very first rotation I had a drug information question that couldn't be answered with just Lexi or whatever, and I had to find and then interpret primary lit to a physician. There is also generally an expectation that you will be referencing at least some primary lit for any poster or verbal presentation that you do.

I'm almost done with my P4 year (7 total rotations) and here's my totals for such:
4 formal presentations/lectures, 2 posters, 3 journal clubs (and at least one more to go), one formal case presentation, two case activities for P1 students, and a whole heap of drug question replies. Also, I had a drug information rotation, so that entire rotation was nothing but primary literature evaluation