Journal Clubs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a question for other pharmacy students and pharmacists. How often do we have to do these journal clubs/presentations on rotations? Am I going to be doing a lot of researching primary literatures and trials for the next 2 years?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd count on at least 1 presentation for each rotation, some might have more though. You'll probably look at primary literature almost every day.

Crap I am in the P3 year and I have used more primary literature then text books. Get used to it

Members don't see this ad :)
Save all of your journal clubs!!! Some preceptors will let you chose an article, so it can really save you time if you can present an article that you've already presented elsewhere. ;)

Save all of your journal clubs!!! Some preceptors will let you chose an article, so it can really save you time if you can present an article that you've already presented elsewhere. ;)

that's pretty clever :thumbup:

Just a question for other pharmacy students and pharmacists. How often do we have to do these journal clubs/presentations on rotations? Am I going to be doing a lot of researching primary literatures and trials for the next 2 years?

Learn to love the literature. You can't avoid it.

****. Guess I should have paid attention in all those "how to" classes for PubMed.

Our medical librarians offer classes for all the students on how to search for literature.

This website may help you learn some of the tricks to doing better Ovid searches. If your school has a medical librarians, ask for a tutorial, they can show you a lot of search tricks.
Refworks is the shizzle!
Scopus has nice tricks as well.
http://www.med.yale.edu/library/education/guides/feature/ovidsp

Somebody at my school got in a little bit of trouble for doing that.

For the OP, yes you will need to be able to search and use primary literature. The very first week of my very first rotation I had a drug information question that couldn't be answered with just Lexi or whatever, and I had to find and then interpret primary lit to a physician. There is also generally an expectation that you will be referencing at least some primary lit for any poster or verbal presentation that you do.

I'm almost done with my P4 year (7 total rotations) and here's my totals for such:
4 formal presentations/lectures, 2 posters, 3 journal clubs (and at least one more to go), one formal case presentation, two case activities for P1 students, and a whole heap of drug question replies. Also, I had a drug information rotation, so that entire rotation was nothing but primary literature evaluation