Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Journals or Magazines?

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by theavrock, Mar 4, 2007.

1. theavrock

I was just wondering if there are any journals or periodicals/magazines that you guys recommend for reading to gain insight into the profession that are geared towards a beginners understanding. I don't want to read journals or articles about surgeries because I would have no idea what they are talking about, but I would love to be able to be even more informed about the profession, current trends etc. Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. songaila

podiatrydotady.com

APMA.org

4. Feli

Feli ACFAS Member

Attending Physician
    Your thinking is totally justified.. most medical journals are a nightmare until you have a firm grasp on the anatomy.

songalia's links are good (better if he could spell "today" ;) ), but I'd suggest just shadowing some local DPMs. That is the best way to see things firsthand and get many of your questions answered.

APMA News, Podiatry Today, or Podiatry Management are pretty good reads and should be around at he pod schools or in most DPM's offices... most of the articles are about the politics and business aspects of the profession as opposed to heavily scientific.

5. theavrock

Thanks for the replies Feli. I am shadowing a pod this summer, but I figured it couldn't hurt to get my hands on as much literature as possible.

6. Feli

Feli ACFAS Member

Attending Physician
    Another one I ran across and read yesterday that's good is APMA's "Young Members Exchange." It's another one that can be readily found around pod schools. If you email them ([email protected]), I'm sure they could also send you a copy. You may also be able to access it online if you make a login at apma.org, but you might need to be a pod student - I'm not sure.

It uses pod students, residents, and new practitioners as authors, so you get the perspective of people who are on your level or just a few years ahead. There's case reports and some scientific info, but it's typically written in a tone that's very basic yet quite informative.