NYCPM or TUSPM??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drsocweights

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I got accepted to NYCPM and Temple and am having a hard time deciding which program to attend. I am a NYC local, but I am drawn to Temple because it has its own health system which, I would assume, will be easier when it comes to rotations.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
same boat, accepted to both, closer to nyc, temple has its own system. Not sure what to decide

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to practice and do a residency in NYC then attend NYCPM. It can be done from Temple as well but will be a bit easier from NYCPM. If you can save money from one attend that one. If you were happier on interview day at one program more than the other attend that one...not sure about Temple but NYCPM got just one main building in Harlem..not much of a campus.

TUSPM, I've heard rumors NYCPM is about to undergo some major changes. Could be risky to be apart of the "Guinea Pig" class. Unless you want to do residency in NY then obvi NYCPM is the way to go.

what makes it "easier" to practice in NY coming from NYCPM versus TUSPM?

I went to the open house last saturday to show my parents the school and we heard the new dean talk about how he is definitely going to revamp the curriculum (not sure what he meant by that).

Since you are a NYC local, would you be dorming/paying rent or living at home paying little to no rent? cause that would save you at least $80,000.

I’m pretty sure you will receive the same amount of clinical training at either since clinic volume + rotating hospitals is roughly the same. You are there to learn on rotations so I’m not sure on the benefits for it being “easier” that you are referring to.

The only person that can make this decision is you. If you loved Temple during your interview and would like to leave NYC, then by all means attend there.

what makes it "easier" to practice in NY coming from NYCPM versus TUSPM?

I went to the open house last saturday to show my parents the school and we heard the new dean talk about how he is definitely going to revamp the curriculum (not sure what he meant by that).

The majority of Residency program directors (PDs) in NY attended NYCPM. They know about the school, the curriculum, the admins/faculty, etc..so its more of having a similar background/have experienced similar training during the 4 years in school. It also helps to apply for a NY license in the future while doing a residency in NY as a NY resident.

Like the person above said, if you can stay home/commute and save those big dorm bucks then it's an easy decision...otherwise wherever you will happier.

Congratulations!!!!! It sounds like you have 2 great choices. Good Luck. There's no wrong choice. :)

Nycpm sucks. We’re in classes allllll daayyyy till 5 or 6pm sometimes. Attendance is mandatory (~65%). One of our averages in a class is a fail. LITERALLY. Few professors are good but many of them aren’t. I wish I picked another school when I had the chance. Nycpm doesn’t really care about you as a student, it’s more like a bootcamp where they’re trying to weed people out every step of the way. We started with 103, and we are already down to 97 I think and this is only our first semester. Their facilities suck. I don’t think I’ll ever miss this place if I graduate, like I miss my undergrad. I’ll be glad to be done honestly.

Nycpm sucks. We’re in classes allllll daayyyy till 5 or 6pm sometimes. Attendance is mandatory (~65%). One of our averages in a class is a fail. LITERALLY. Few professors are good but many of them aren’t. I wish I picked another school when I had the chance. Nycpm doesn’t really care about you as a student, it’s more like a bootcamp where they’re trying to weed people out every step of the way. We started with 103, and we are already down to 97 I think and this is only our first semester. Their facilities suck. I don’t think I’ll ever miss this place if I graduate, like I miss my undergrad. I’ll be glad to be done honestly.

Those mandatory lec attendances are one of the reasons I chose Scholl over NYCPM (eventho I'm from NYC).
IMO, meds school lectures should NOT be mandatory.

But, I'm not surprised at you guys losing ppl already because a few students that get an acceptance do not belong and can't handle the curriculum...we had similar dropouts at Scholl for my class.

Work hard, you'll make it!

I'm in my first semester at NYCPM and doing well. I plan to have around a 3.2-3.3 after first semester and plan to do even better next semester now that I've gotten the hang of things. It is by no means a hard school or what these people make it out to be. It is however medical school, regardless of what others think as well. It is work. You are taking the same classes the people in touro are taking not too far away practically. The tests in my opinion, are pretty straight forward and not very difficult. The teachers make this as easy as possible for the students and actually do give a **** regardless of what others say. YOU ARE EXPECTED TO KNOW MATERIAL FROM UNDERGRAD, and by that I mean the professors are not going to spend an entire lecture teaching you stuff you already should be familiar with. If you don't know it well then it's time to brush up. The problem with this school is they accept a lot of students, and are taking more risk on students they accept. I don't see what's so bad about that. They give a lot of people a chance to become doctors and it's not like youre shipping off to Grenada. I can see why a lot of my class got accepted, because a lot of the students are very diverse. The teachers are always willing to talk and they talk to each other a lot about the students. Teachers will follow your grades in every single class and they will find you and press you to do better if you slip up. Even if you've never talked to the teacher before, believe me they know who you are. I don't really know how much more a teacher is going to do for you.

Temple would be a good choice, its all the same material you're learning so I don't really see what the difference is. Only difference is you won't have the dean bitching out the bottom 20% of the class and making the tests easier so these people can get through the first semester. They aren't doing this because they are greedy, they are giving these people the benefit of the doubt this first semester and a chance to succeed. This is one recurring theme that I actually do really like about this school. Next semester I doubt this will be the case. I mean c'mon the class everyone is doing bad in is biochem.... and its really not much harder than the undergrad version. The attendance thing idk how I feel about it. I will say, you know what you're signing up for. You aren't going to be learning from home during residency. You can't be strolling in late when you're practicing. Save your skips for before tests and finals. I would recommend dorming and living close regardless of wherever you go. This is work, it's not easy. You'd be surprised how many points i've earned waking up at 5am and studying up until the test.

I would say I'm pretty neutral about the school. I try to be friendly with everyone but generally stay out of the politics of the class, and my god there are politics and cliques. I just show up to the party with beers if we don't have a test Monday and drink with whoever is drinking. I don't love or hate this school, I see it as an opportunity to become a doctor as you should as well. I'm not originally from NYC, but live close enough to drive and tbh I hate it. It's an overpriced dump, but its fun to have experienced living in "the greatest city in the world" for 4 years. The subway system is cool, can be anywhere in 15 minutes.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Also if anyone has any questions about the school don't hesitate to ask me.

All I can say is I am very happy about where I am at the moment. Medicine is a good fit for me. I enjoy learning most of the material. After my first suture workshop in the surgery club, I felt it in my bones that this was the right place for me. One of the residents, a graduate of NYCPM, who was heading the workshop showed me before and after pictures of her suturing up a guy who got slashed in the face. Yes as a resident you will be doing that kind of stuff and I am pretty pumped for it. If you enjoy what you do and work hard I don't see why you can't be successful. I wanted to go to MD or DO school, but didn't have the grades, partied too hard and was no way in hell going to spend the better part of my 20s sitting through classes I already took with eighteen year olds. This was the only realistic option for me and I haven't regretted it since the first day of class. Good luck to drsocweights!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in my first semester at NYCPM and doing well. I plan to have around a 3.2-3.3 after first semester and plan to do even better next semester now that I've gotten the hang of things. It is by no means a hard school or what these people make it out to be. It is however medical school, regardless of what others think as well. It is work. You are taking the same classes the people in touro are taking not too far away practically. The tests in my opinion, are pretty straight forward and not very difficult. The teachers make this as easy as possible for the students and actually do give a **** regardless of what others say. YOU ARE EXPECTED TO KNOW MATERIAL FROM UNDERGRAD, and by that I mean the professors are not going to spend an entire lecture teaching you stuff you already should be familiar with. If you don't know it well then it's time to brush up. The problem with this school is they accept a lot of students, and are taking more risk on students they accept. I don't see what's so bad about that. They give a lot of people a chance to become doctors and it's not like youre shipping off to Grenada. I can see why a lot of my class got accepted, because a lot of the students are very diverse. The teachers are always willing to talk and they talk to each other a lot about the students. Teachers will follow your grades in every single class and they will find you and press you to do better if you slip up. Even if you've never talked to the teacher before, believe me they know who you are. I don't really know how much more a teacher is going to do for you.

Temple would be a good choice, its all the same material you're learning so I don't really see what the difference is. Only difference is you won't have the dean bitching out the bottom 20% of the class and making the tests easier so these people can get through the first semester. They aren't doing this because they are greedy, they are giving these people the benefit of the doubt this first semester and a chance to succeed. This is one recurring theme that I actually do really like about this school. Next semester I doubt this will be the case. I mean c'mon the class everyone is doing bad in is biochem.... and its really not much harder than the undergrad version. The attendance thing idk how I feel about it. I will say, you know what you're signing up for. You aren't going to be learning from home during residency. You can't be strolling in late when you're practicing. Save your skips for before tests and finals. I would recommend dorming and living close regardless of wherever you go. This is work, it's not easy. You'd be surprised how many points i've earned waking up at 5am and studying up until the test.

I would say I'm pretty neutral about the school. I try to be friendly with everyone but generally stay out of the politics of the class, and my god there are politics and cliques. I just show up to the party with beers if we don't have a test Monday and drink with whoever is drinking. I don't love or hate this school, I see it as an opportunity to become a doctor as you should as well. I'm not originally from NYC, but live close enough to drive and tbh I hate it. It's an overpriced dump, but its fun to have experienced living in "the greatest city in the world" for 4 years. The subway system is cool, can be anywhere in 15 minutes.

you exaggerated a lot of things. The tests aren’t straight forward, if they were you would be finishing with a 3.5+ gpa. The tests are forward for only one course and sometimes maybe another course. The teachers are there to speak to you if you wanna speak to them, except one of them who simply doesn’t care. Only two of your professors will talk to you about your grades from other classes if you ask them. If biochem wasn’t much harder than undergrad then please explain why the average was a 67. It is nothing like undergrad except for the first unit with glycolysis, krebb’s cycle, gluconeogenesis, etc.

Yes you won’t work from home during residency, but I don’t think you’ll come home from work at 6pm and start studying for your exam next day. Staying in class till 5 or 6pm isn’t viable when you’ve two exams per week.

Reactions: 1 users
you exaggerated a lot of things. The tests aren’t straight forward, if they were you would be finishing with a 3.5+ gpa. The tests are forward for only one course and sometimes maybe another course. The teachers are there to speak to you if you wanna speak to them, except one of them who simply doesn’t care. Only two of your professors will talk to you about your grades from other classes if you ask them. If biochem wasn’t much harder than undergrad then please explain why the average was a 67. It is nothing like undergrad except for the first unit with glycolysis, krebb’s cycle, gluconeogenesis, etc.

Yes you won’t work from home during residency, but I don’t think you’ll come home from work at 6pm and start studying for your exam next day. Staying in class till 5 or 6pm isn’t viable when you’ve two exams per week.
Not to be a ****, but based on your recent posts about our class (I’m also first year NYCPM), there is a lot of blame placed on the school/professors/tests rather than taking responsibility for your grades. I am also not doing that great but honestly, it’s my fault. If you don’t like the mandatory lectures (I don’t either) than just put some headphones in and study on your own. The tests are MOSTLY straightforward given those questions that are meant to separate the A/B students from the C. We got extremely lucky for histology and biochemistry because quite frankly, they could’ve just failed us. The material isn’t hard, it’s just A LOT of information.
The 3rd exam for biochem was EXTREMELY STRAIGHTFORWARD, there was just a lot of information to learn, but guess what? That’s medical school.

Last edited by a moderator:
C'mon lol we were never in class until 5 or 6 every day. Maybe a 1/3 of the time i'll give you that. You aren't wrong we have definitely been there that late with the labs and the Bact class though. We've practically had this whole week off to study for our first final too. Never said it was easy, its just not ridiculously hard or impossible. Its a lot of work you have to keep up with, but from all the material they give us they ask pretty simple questions on facts straight from the lectures. Biochem is a tough class most people say it is one of the hardest classes in med school. I can see why a lot people are struggling, it can be very difficult even in undergrad. (If any enrollees are reading this, why aren't you studying for biochem? go study now! lol) An A in this school is a 93 and a B is an 83.. it's tough to get a gpa 3.5+ especially when a B+ is a 3.3. The people who will get those gpas really put in an enormous amount of work and came in with good study skills. xoxo111 just keep working. There are some ticks about the school that suck, but it is what it is. Anatomy lab is probably going to be keeping us late next semester too lol. see ya there!

Reactions: 2 users
Not to be a ****, but based on your recent posts about our class (I’m also first year NYCPM), there is a lot of blame placed on the school/professors/tests rather than taking responsibility for your grades. I am also not doing that great but honestly, it’s my fault. If you don’t like the mandatory lectures (I don’t either) than just put some headphones in and study on your own. The tests are MOSTLY straightforward given those questions that are meant to separate the A/B students from the C. We got extremely lucky for histology and biochemistry because quite frankly, they could’ve just failed us. The material isn’t hard, it’s just A LOT of information.
The 3rd exam for biochem was EXTREMELY STRAIGHTFORWARD, there was just a lot of information to learn, but guess what? That’s medical school.

again, If the tests are straight forward then why aren’t you doing well? I never said it’s the school’s fault I’m not doing well. I simply informed the OP about how the school really is and that, they don’t really care about students, which is true. Two exams per week is also too much, and it is not just me who shares that thought because, if you recall, one of our professors who also teaches medical students, think the same way.

Hi everyone,
I got accepted to NYCPM and Temple and am having a hard time deciding which program to attend. I am a NYC local, but I am drawn to Temple because it has its own health system which, I would assume, will be easier when it comes to rotations.
where did you end up going? I am also choosing between NYCPM and TUSPM now.

How are they doing two exams per week? That sounds more like a quiz. Maybe one exam per week at the most.

I just don't see how you can cover enough material for an actual exam, twice in one week.

• Haha
How are they doing two exams per week? That sounds more like a quiz. Maybe one exam per week at the most.

I just don't see how you can cover enough material for an actual exam, twice in one week.

It's not quizzes, it's actual exams. They cover the material by keeping you in class 8 hours a day :)

Do you feel that the questions prepare you well for boards? Do you feel that NYCPM better prepares you for the boards than other programs?

Do you feel that the questions prepare you well for boards? Do you feel that NYCPM better prepares you for the boards than other programs?

I cannot say that since I haven't taken the boards yet. I will say that we got an item analysis of the class of 2022 board scores. They scored in the 90s in almost every section but lean (lean was around 68% or something like that).

I am thankful to be at a school that is non-mandatory attendance.

OP, pick one that is cheap and has non-mandatory attendance.

Reactions: 1 users