Journey to pharmacy. Help appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

freespiriteddoctor

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,
I am a member of the military interested in pharmacy. I am currently finishing up my degree online (did some prerequisites in-person in a community college-biology, chemistry and one semester of physics). Would you recommend finishing up my online degree while in the military, and doing the remaining prerequisites in person when i retire next year, or are the prerequisites a priority to my online degree. Another issue is the fact that the pre-reqs vary by school. I haven't fulfilled microbiology, organic chemistry physics 2 statistics, and economics.
 
First: Thank you for your service. I’m medically retiring from the army and currently on terminal leave myself.

Couple of facts to help guide you

1) You do not need a bachelors to apply for pharmacy programs.

2) Pharmacy field is very competitive (job wise) with market saturation. Having a bachelors would be a wise back-up to introduce you to other careers or even niche’s in pharmacy.

Unless you can find yourself in a brick-n-mortar setting (I couldn’t easily do this) while AD, I’d aim to finish your degree before leaving the service. I’m not tracking many programs accepting online virtual labs as pre-reqs for admissions.

Take your pre-reqs once you leave the service in a classroom coupled with mandated labs. If your Chapter 33 post 9/11 entitlements have not been transferred to children or spouse, I’d save the benefits specifically for pharmacy school (valued easily over $200k in your favor). Keep in mind, you qualify for instate tuition in all 50 states within 3 years of leaving the service.

As a side-note, if you plan on filing for any disability rating upon separation and match 10% or higher from VA, look into the Chapter 31 entitlements for veterans outlined on our forum:

Veterans' Benefits

Coupled with a pension and tricare benefits, you set yourself up with financial autonomy more than most. Congrats and hope this puts you in the right direction.
 
First: Thank you for your service. I’m medically retiring from the army and currently on terminal leave myself.

Couple of facts to help guide you

1) You do not need a bachelors to apply for pharmacy programs.

2) Pharmacy field is very competitive (job wise) with market saturation. Having a bachelors would be a wise back-up to introduce you to other careers or even niche’s in pharmacy.

Unless you can find yourself in a brick-n-mortar setting (I couldn’t easily do this) while AD, I’d aim to finish your degree before leaving the service. I’m not tracking many programs accepting online virtual labs as pre-reqs for admissions.

Take your pre-reqs once you leave the service in a classroom coupled with mandated labs. If your Chapter 33 post 9/11 entitlements have not been transferred to children or spouse, I’d save the benefits specifically for pharmacy school (valued easily over $200k in your favor). Keep in mind, you qualify for instate tuition in all 50 states within 3 years of leaving the service.

As a side-note, if you plan on filing for any disability rating upon separation and match 10% or higher from VA, look into the Chapter 31 entitlements for veterans outlined on our forum:

Veterans' Benefits

Coupled with a pension and tricare benefits, you set yourself up with financial autonomy more than most. Congrats and hope this puts you in the right direction.



Thank you so much! I really appreciate your response.It perfectly aligns with the decision I made a few days ago so I know I'm making the right decision.

Thank you for your service
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for your service. I do not recommend going the pharmacy route but if you do only do the two years of undergrad required. If you just get a degree in bio or chem, you won't open any doors that a pharmd won't get. For example if you want to work as a chemist many companies will accept a pharmacy degree(pay is low for that job). But if you must get bs do something in engineering or computer science. Maybe even math or physics. That way you have a true back up. Good luck.
 
Hello everyone,
I am a member of the military interested in pharmacy. I am currently finishing up my degree online (did some prerequisites in-person in a community college-biology, chemistry and one semester of physics). Would you recommend finishing up my online degree while in the military, and doing the remaining prerequisites in person when i retire next year, or are the prerequisites a priority to my online degree. Another issue is the fact that the pre-reqs vary by school. I haven't fulfilled microbiology, organic chemistry physics 2 statistics, and economics.

That depends, why exactly are you interested in pharmacy? what makes you want to serve society in this capacity? im curious. thanks.
 
Hello everyone,
I am a member of the military interested in pharmacy. I am currently finishing up my degree online (did some prerequisites in-person in a community college-biology, chemistry and one semester of physics). Would you recommend finishing up my online degree while in the military, and doing the remaining prerequisites in person when i retire next year, or are the prerequisites a priority to my online degree. Another issue is the fact that the pre-reqs vary by school. I haven't fulfilled microbiology, organic chemistry physics 2 statistics, and economics.

One thought is to complete as many pre-reqs as possible so as to be qualified for the most number of schools.