Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those of you who did a thesis-based master's before attending vet school, how did you juggle the situation? I know I want to go into research and teaching. I'm interested in completing a PhD after vet school, but I'm struggling to find the right path to go about it.
I'm only applying to my IS because I'm financially independent as a junior in undergrad, which means I have no money even working 25+ hrs/wk. My advisor and I both discussed the situation, and we agreed that if I don't get in to vet school right off the bat, I should definitely begin working on a MS. However, he suggested that I look OOS for grad school since I still want my DVM from my IS school and I'll have a BS from my IS school. (The cardinal sin of academia is getting all your degrees at one school.) I don't want to wait until last minute to apply to OOS grad schools since I will absolutely need an assistantship to make it work.
This would be a lot easier if I knew what I wanted to research, but I don't. I was considering a DVM/PhD program, but again I would have to apply OOS and I don't think I have the GPA for it (3.55). Ideally, I'd like to attend vet school first because I'm dying for those upper level physiology/immunology courses. I know the first year of grad school will be taking courses, but at the same time I'm struggling to decide between CBS, ANS, or Physiology programs.
Also, I'm extremely concerned about the possibility of setting up research OOS, being accepted to vet school, and then burning bridges with faculty I might potentially want to do a PhD with after vet school.
Has anyone been in a situation like this or have any advice for me on the subject of applying to grad/vet school at the same time?
I'm only applying to my IS because I'm financially independent as a junior in undergrad, which means I have no money even working 25+ hrs/wk. My advisor and I both discussed the situation, and we agreed that if I don't get in to vet school right off the bat, I should definitely begin working on a MS. However, he suggested that I look OOS for grad school since I still want my DVM from my IS school and I'll have a BS from my IS school. (The cardinal sin of academia is getting all your degrees at one school.) I don't want to wait until last minute to apply to OOS grad schools since I will absolutely need an assistantship to make it work.
This would be a lot easier if I knew what I wanted to research, but I don't. I was considering a DVM/PhD program, but again I would have to apply OOS and I don't think I have the GPA for it (3.55). Ideally, I'd like to attend vet school first because I'm dying for those upper level physiology/immunology courses. I know the first year of grad school will be taking courses, but at the same time I'm struggling to decide between CBS, ANS, or Physiology programs.
Also, I'm extremely concerned about the possibility of setting up research OOS, being accepted to vet school, and then burning bridges with faculty I might potentially want to do a PhD with after vet school.
Has anyone been in a situation like this or have any advice for me on the subject of applying to grad/vet school at the same time?