-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
July 20 PCAT
Started by ThugMotivation
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Alright here are my prelim scores:
VA: 427/86
Bio: 430/88
RC: 435/90
QA: 416/69
Chem: 422/77
Comp: 426/87
I'm a conditional student at Pitt, we were told the minimum is 70% but they wanted us to shoot for 80s. My GPA is borderline for the minimum (3.25) so I'm hoping this PCAT will help me keep my seat.
As for the RC, I'm really surprised that many people were having difficulty with it. I guess I just read a lot?
The QA was brutal though!
VA: 427/86
Bio: 430/88
RC: 435/90
QA: 416/69
Chem: 422/77
Comp: 426/87
I'm a conditional student at Pitt, we were told the minimum is 70% but they wanted us to shoot for 80s. My GPA is borderline for the minimum (3.25) so I'm hoping this PCAT will help me keep my seat.
As for the RC, I'm really surprised that many people were having difficulty with it. I guess I just read a lot?
The QA was brutal though!
Seconded.
If you read all the time, RC will be second nature. You can finish this section with 10-15 minutes left if you are a solid reader.
Absodamnlutely. I've been reading everything I could get my hands on since I was little, and I cleaned up on the verbal/reading sections. From what I see on here, most people seem to have relatively little trouble with the 'science' sections... a little preparation on the soft subjects will make a lot of composite scores skyrocket.
I always recommend something like Scientific American - not so dense as to be dull, but definitely written for intelligent people.
Hi5 ! lol
So I set the lowest score in RC so far? lol mannnnn -__- i do hope they will take this part to consideration
You're going to be fine, Katepharm! You're scores, minus RC, are terrific!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I always recommend something like Scientific American - not so dense as to be dull, but definitely written for intelligent people.
Scientific American is awesome, I liked it so much I got a subscription!
The PCAT is protected information by non-disclosure agreements, copyright, and/or trade secret laws. Revealing topics of written prompts, questions, or other content can result in revocation of scores and prevention of retaking the exam. Please refrain from posting this type of material on SDN for your own protection.
for those of you who used the kaplan self-review guide, how did you feel the kaplan test compared to the actual test?
i'm taking the test on the 27th and i felt the kaplan test was much more challenging than the pearson tests (also reflected in my scores).
i'm taking the test on the 27th and i felt the kaplan test was much more challenging than the pearson tests (also reflected in my scores).
Yesterday's PCAT was my first, and I'm more than disappointed with my preliminaries. Had I but known Dr. Collins is the only worthwhile material out there, my time and money wouldn't have gone to waste on Barron's (2008), McGraw-Hill (2009), or Kaplan (2011). REA (2010) and Kaplan's GRE Advanced Verbal (2009), however, helped my biology, verbal ability and reading comprehension scores, respectively. Writing was cake, but my chemistry and quantitative ability scores could definitely use a curve right about now...... a September re-test is, unfortunately, a must at this point. (I can't see a 41 composite ever being accepted.)
Anyway, I hope my first post is worthy of a reply or two!
👍
Anyway, I hope my first post is worthy of a reply or two!
👍
for those of you who used the kaplan self-review guide, how did you feel the kaplan test compared to the actual test?
i'm taking the test on the 27th and i felt the kaplan test was much more challenging than the pearson tests (also reflected in my scores).
As far as gen chem and bio, it was pretty spot on. Larger focus on microbio, and less on A&P and plant bio and do not trust Kaplan's O-chem for a split second. I found horrible errors and way too little info.
I think Kaplan's test was great, but as for practice problems to get you ready?
REA's Flashcard book is BY FAR the best bang-for-your-buck in terms of similarity to actual questions on the real PCAT and having nice detailed explanations as well as helpful tips and quirky little factoids sprinkled throughout.
LESS THAN $10 @ amazon!!! -> http://www.amazon.com/PCAT-Flashcard-Book-Flash-Books/dp/0738607959/ref=dp_ob_title_bk
Honestly, I don't think you can find a better value anywhere. And they were pretty spot on. Same difficulty level, same focus areas. It's not so much for review as much as it is for drilling yourself into test readiness. But I would reccomend it to every single person considering taking the PCAT.
As far as gen chem and bio, it was pretty spot on. Larger focus on microbio, and less on A&P and plant bio and do not trust Kaplan's O-chem for a split second. I found horrible errors and way too little info.
I think Kaplan's test was great, but as for practice problems to get you ready?
REA's Flashcard book is BY FAR the best bang-for-your-buck in terms of similarity to actual questions on the real PCAT and having nice detailed explanations as well as helpful tips and quirky little factoids sprinkled throughout.
LESS THAN $10 @ amazon!!! -> http://www.amazon.com/PCAT-Flashcard-Book-Flash-Books/dp/0738607959/ref=dp_ob_title_bk
Honestly, I don't think you can find a better value anywhere. And they were pretty spot on. Same difficulty level, same focus areas. It's not so much for review as much as it is for drilling yourself into test readiness. But I would reccomend it to every single person considering taking the PCAT.
I think that the most important thing that you should ask yourself before studying for the PCAT is: Do I need to re-learn the material or do I need to review the material/drill questions? There are certain tools which will help you re-learn material (your textbook/notes) and there are certaint ools which will help you review material/drill questions. Once you determine what you need for the exam, the rest is simple ... Just doing the work necessary to get the score that you want.
For those of you who purchased the practice exams from Pearson, how similar was the PCAT to the July 20th exam?
My Practice Test Scores from Pearson were all very similar and showed me as:
VA: 80-99
Bio: 78ish-98ish
Chem: 65ish-85ish
Quant: 55ish-75ish
Reading: 80-99
Composite: 80-99
My preliminary score report for the Jul 20th was:
VA: 95%
Bio 51% (Very surprised by this based on the practice tests. I was very confident with the questions on the practice tests, but felt lost while taking the PCAT)
Chem: 72%
Quant: 71%
Reading 89%
Composite: 82%
With the exception of Bio (which is still blowing my mind!) The practice tests matched up very well.
For those of you who purchased the practice exams from Pearson, how similar was the PCAT to the July 20th exam?
Pearson Practice Test
80-99 Verbal
80-99 Chemistry
80-99 Biology
55-75 Reading Comprehension
80-99 Math
Composite 80-99
Preliminary
48 Verbal ( I don't even understand how that was possible because it was my most confident section)
95 Chemistry
96 Biology
82 Reading Comprehension (I was stunned because this is the section I thought I failed.
94 Math
Composite 93 ( First time was 79)
The following notice is taken directly from Pearson's website. Additionally, we've had a similar notice stickied to the top of our PCAT forum for quite some time. Please abide by it!
Get the most current information about the PCAT at PCATweb.info.
Notice:
Candidates cannot disclose--in whole or in part--any exam questions or answers to anyone during or after the exam, whether orally, in writing, in any internet "chat rooms or blogs", or otherwise. The PCAT is a secure examination, protected by U.S. copyright laws, and any unauthorized disclosure of the exam's contents could result in civil liability, criminal penalties, and/or cancellation of test scores. Examinees are encouraged to report any internet activities that disclose information about test questions, so that Pearson may investigate and take any necessary action.
Get the most current information about the PCAT at PCATweb.info.
How did you review for verbal? Did you use Dr. Collins or other book for it?
First time:
VA: 92
Bio: 88
RC: 94
QA: 88
Chem: 98
Comp: 97
I thought I was most prepared for the bio and quant sections but they ended up being my lowest subscores. Funny how things work out on the actual exam haha. Congrats to everyone who took the exam btw. We all deserve a little break 😎
VA: 92
Bio: 88
RC: 94
QA: 88
Chem: 98
Comp: 97
I thought I was most prepared for the bio and quant sections but they ended up being my lowest subscores. Funny how things work out on the actual exam haha. Congrats to everyone who took the exam btw. We all deserve a little break 😎
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@MonkeyKing - Congratulations on the great scores🙂 How did you prepare for the exam if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!
Thanks! I took a kaplan prep course but overall it wasn't worth the money. Granted, kaplan provided a ton of practice problems, which helped me get a feel for how much time I would get for each question under timed conditions. On my own, I studied some prep books (one of which was kaplan's and it was decent).
For the verbal section, I learned the types of analogies and ways to create strong bridges from kaplan/pearson p exams. Also, looking over a vocab list from GRE/kaplan helped immensely. However, as is apparent from the pearson practice exams, some analogies are a test of knowledge accumulated over a lifetime (geography, important people, etc.)
For chem and ochem, I studied material from kaplan, but any pchem/orgo classes you've taken should provide the necessary info. Just focus on the important concepts (ideal gas law, colligative properties, etc.) and practice your mental math. It speeds things up. Also, I found it helpful to know the first 3 rows of the periodic table and the fundamentals of electron configuration. Memorizing the entire periodic table is unnecessary but knowing the first 3 periods can help you quickly identify atomic number, the most likely oxidation states, reactivity of elements, valence electrons, etc.. For ochem, kaplan provided a list of general reactions and reagents that I found quite useful.
Doing well on RC is a matter of reading often. I grew up as an avid reader, so I barely had to prepare for the reading section.
For math, I went over important concepts and practiced my mental math. It saves a ton of time.
For bio, I used a prep book and learned the important concepts . However, the microbio sections in those books did not seem to be enough and I think a microbio/disease class would have worked wonders for me.
@MonkeyKing - Thank you for the suggestions. I have taken most of the pre-req courses already thus reviewing the material has been less complicated. I am reviewing concepts based on Kaplan and Dr. Collins material with videos online. I also have the REA flashcard book which is also very helpful with practice. I am planning to purchase the pearson practice test to get a better idea of the real test.
I totally agree. I did the first two tests and thought I was in pretty good shape, but then that 3rd one kinda kicked my ass lolWhich one of the 3 pearson tests is the test most similar to? I've done all 3 and I feel the latest 2010 pearson test is the most challenging..
gotchya - unfortunately i don't have time to go thru REA since my test is in 3 days!! but did anyone use the cliff notes tests? if so, how were they compared to the actual test? i am working thru some of the sections now (math,chem,bio)
gotchya - unfortunately i don't have time to go thru REA since my test is in 3 days!! but did anyone use the cliff notes tests? if so, how were they compared to the actual test? i am working thru some of the sections now (math,chem,bio)
Waste of time. The questions were not indicative at all compared to the PCAT.
Besides, if enough people have said that the REA is worthwhile (Yes, enough people have said that they are worthwhile) ... Frankly, you should spend time going through that instead of going through a study guide that people don't think it pertinent to the actual exam.
First time taking the PCAT. I have not had OChem yet, in preparation I self taught some basic nomenclature which paid off. The QA section was more difficult than any of the practice tests that I had taken, and I ran out of time on the section, being forced to guess on about the last 10.
Verbal Ability - 97
Biology - 71
Reading Comprehension - 87
Quantitative Ability - 48
Chemistry - 62
Composite SS - 422
Composite PR - 83
Verbal Ability - 97
Biology - 71
Reading Comprehension - 87
Quantitative Ability - 48
Chemistry - 62
Composite SS - 422
Composite PR - 83
I took the PCAT on July 20 as well. Here are my results
Verbal Ability-77
Biology-96
Reading Comp-65
QA-52
Chemistry-58
Composite-77
I don't think I did "bad" in any specific area, but by QA and chemistry scores seem to be a tad low to be considered competitive. I'm fairly pleased with a composite score. Would anyone advise that I should take the PCAT again?
Verbal Ability-77
Biology-96
Reading Comp-65
QA-52
Chemistry-58
Composite-77
I don't think I did "bad" in any specific area, but by QA and chemistry scores seem to be a tad low to be considered competitive. I'm fairly pleased with a composite score. Would anyone advise that I should take the PCAT again?
Do the scores come in the mail or are they posted online?
Online
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yep! Guess am keeping my 79 composite and 3.0/3.5 score for essays...am happy....
Here is the rest of my Pcat stats in-case everyone is wondering.....
Verbal Ability 427 86
Biology 435 91
Reading Comprehension 386 24 (BANE of my existence) 😡
Quantitative Ability 412 62
Chemistry 434 88
Composite 419 79
Here is the rest of my Pcat stats in-case everyone is wondering.....
Verbal Ability 427 86
Biology 435 91
Reading Comprehension 386 24 (BANE of my existence) 😡
Quantitative Ability 412 62
Chemistry 434 88
Composite 419 79
yep, same exact score as the preliminary with a 3/3 for writing
Now that official scores are out, when will they show up as being sent on pharmcas?
All scores were the same 🙁
Writing 3/3
Writing 3/3
it seems lots of ppl got 3/3 :-/
Bell curve, baybee.
Bell curve, baybee.
I don't know where you are getting the idea that the grading of the essay is somehow calculated using a Gaussian distribution. That is not what the Pearson essay rubric states. Clearly they are not following the rubric that was posted, however. I scored a 99th comp, which I may add is not determined using a true Gaussian grading metric. I thought my essays were the BEST part of my exam, hands down. And somehow they appropriated me 3/3. Absolute balderdash if you ask me. 😡
Bio - 54
Chem - 48
Composite - 79
Should I retake for WVU?
3/3 essay
You have a good composite.. but I would say retake it.. I'm retaking the PCAT in sept and I got CHEM 88; BIO 80 but 65 Composite because of low verbal and reading ..
=))
Bio - 54
Chem - 48
Composite - 79
Should I retake for WVU?
3/3 essay
Good composite, but the low Bio and Chem subsections could hurt you. What's your GPA in those classes?
Furthermore, http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/schoolWestVirginiapage.htm
The average GPA is a 3.65, so while you have the PCAT minimum (they prefer 60th percentile or higher), your GPA plays a large role as well.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is 3/3 a bad score for writing? =/
Apparently not.

Most SDN'ers got that score apperantly. 😉
Good composite, but the low Bio and Chem subsections could hurt you. What's your GPA in those classes?
Furthermore, http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/schoolWestVirginiapage.htm
The average GPA is a 3.65, so while you have the PCAT minimum (they prefer 60th percentile or higher), your GPA plays a large role as well.
I had a B in Bio115, A in Bio116. B in both Chem 115 & 116. Haven't taken Organic yet.
Cumulative GPA is 3.4x and science is a little under that. I'm a resident of WV though, I heard that helps. My only worry is if I retake in January and do worse, it'd be hard to explain that. I got a 92 verbal, 85 quant - not sure if I can do that again.
I had a B in Bio115, A in Bio116. B in both Chem 115 & 116. Haven't taken Organic yet.
Cumulative GPA is 3.4x and science is a little under that. I'm a resident of WV though, I heard that helps. My only worry is if I retake in January and do worse, it'd be hard to explain that. I got a 92 verbal, 85 quant - not sure if I can do that again.
Meh ... them's the breaks.
I can't help but wonder if the school will hold off on an admissions offer until you finish your Organic sequence since you have a very small sample size of course work and your GPA is a bit below the average.
Meh ... them's the breaks.
I can't help but wonder if the school will hold off on an admissions offer until you finish your Organic sequence since you have a very small sample size of course work and your GPA is a bit below the average.
PM'd you so we don't derail this thread 🙂
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 9K