JULY 2014 FELLOWSHIP POSITION AVAILABLE IN NEUROPATHOLOGY!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brown NP Fellow Info

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Immediate opening for Brown/Rhode Island Hospital Neuropathology fellowship position for July 1, 2014 (i.e. about three months from now)!

The fellowship is open to anyone who has or will complete their residency training in Pathology, Neurology, or Psychiatry by June, 2014.

Contact me at: [email protected] if you are serious about the fellowship and I will give you further details.

Brown NP Fellow

Members don't see this ad.

Immediate opening for Brown/Rhode Island Hospital Neuropathology fellowship position for July 1, 2014 (i.e. about three months from now)!

The fellowship is open to anyone who has or will complete their residency training in Pathology, Neurology, or Psychiatry by June, 2014.

Contact me at: [email protected] if you are serious about the fellowship and I will give you further details.

Brown NP Fellow
maybe i am being parochial, but how in the HELL can a shrink or a neurologist walk into a NP fellowship with ZERO path background and be expected to flourish?
most haven't looked thru a scope in 8 years. Mind you- NP includes not just the brain (just!), but skeletal muscle and peripheral nerve BX's as well. This is like saying I could go into an interventional card's fellowship because i did a clinical internship and was a GP for 2 years.

maybe i am being parochial, but how in the HELL can a shrink or a neurologist walk into a NP fellowship with ZERO path background and be expected to flourish?
most haven't looked thru a scope in 8 years. Mind you- NP includes not just the brain (just!), but skeletal muscle and peripheral nerve BX's as well. This is like saying I could go into an interventional card's fellowship because i did a clinical internship and was a GP for 2 years.

If it is true, I would take it as as a sign of cheapening of our field. Would an AP-CP boarded pathologist qualify for a "neurology-whatever" sub-specialty fellowship if he/she wanted?

Members don't see this ad :)
With this news, it is clear that we could all just start doing dermatology fellowships and practicing dermatology, regardless of our specialties.

"Hey, you've done five years of psych? Five years of radiology? How about this derm fellowship?"

The golden goose is within reach for all of us! Rejoice!

Bet you that soon pathology training will be extended to PhDs. Mark my words.

Reactions: 1 user
Just out of curiosity, for anyone with insight, what is the urgency to fill a fellowship position?

-Dire need to teach a fellow?
-Money?
-Scut monkey to gross, lead tumor conferences?
-Loss of accreditation?

i don't get this post, why dont they post the information for the program coordinator or the pathologist in charge of this fellowship, requirements, and whatever else on a legitimate website? too cheap to pay for that could spell serious trouble.

Neurology residency to neuropath fellowship has been a thing for quite a while if I'm not mistaken. Not that I advocate it or anything...just sayin'.

Hadn't heard of psych to neuropath though.

Hello;

Contrary to the comments that have been posted:

1. There is NO "loss of accreditation".

2. There is NO "urgency" to fill the position. We welcome anyone who is interested but we
do not need to fill the second of two positions that suddenly became vacant

3. Since the second position just became available, the intention was to share the information in
case someone may be searching for a Neuropath fellowship

4. Neurology residency to Neuropathology fellowship is not out-of-the-ordinary. It is akin to
Dermatology residency to Dermatopathology fellowship

Thank you and have a good day.

4. Neurology residency to Neuropathology fellowship is not out-of-the-ordinary. It is akin to

Thanks for the info.

How about Psychiatry?

How many Neurology departments in the country "run" their own neuropathology section?

Hello;

Contrary to the comments that have been posted:

1. There is NO "loss of accreditation".

2. There is NO "urgency" to fill the position. We welcome anyone who is interested but we
do not need to fill the second of two positions that suddenly became vacant

3. Since the second position just became available, the intention was to share the information in
case someone may be searching for a Neuropath fellowship

Thank you and have a good day.
Just doesn't seem proper to me. I would expect a "first day on the job" neuropath fellow to be able to do a credible job working up most CNS neoplasms, especially mets. I don't think a neurologist would have a clue.

With this news, it is clear that we could all just start doing dermatology fellowships and practicing dermatology, regardless of our specialties.

"Hey, you've done five years of psych? Five years of radiology? How about this derm fellowship?"

The golden goose is within reach for all of us! Rejoice!

Bet you that soon pathology training will be extended to PhDs. Mark my words.

This is already happening in some CP fellowships, like micro and chemistry

Neurology-to-NP is very common. Many neurology and neurosurgery residencies have required or elective NP months, so they get some familiarity at the scope. I've gotten to know a girl here at UCLA who's doing just that-- she's already boarded in neurology, she wanted something a bit more concrete rather than the vague collection of symptoms and exam findings that makes up most clinical neurology diagnoses, and she loves research. You don't have to be AP-boarded to be NP-boarded.