July 27 Pcat thought

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cliub

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Verbal 398 45% Dr Collin most help
Biology 455 98% Dr Collin help a little. i think general BIO book help most.
RC 376 13% Don't know what to do
Math 430 85% Dr Collin help a little.
Chemistry 438 90% Dr Collin help and general Chem book
Composite 419 79%

I am Chinese I just come to U.S and I am really bad in Verbal and Reading. I don't know if I need to retake or not.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should check the classifieds section and see if anyone is selling theirs.

Great advice! I approve. :thumbup:

I edited your post to remove the posters identity. I promise not to edit anymore of your posts, ok? ;)

I decided to take the PCAT July 27, 2011 for a baseline score. I was planning on studying more and taking the test a second time in September. I did not have time to study for math or Reading comprehension before taking the test. My calculus and trig are over 20 years old.

I am hoping that these are competitive scores and that perhaps I do not have to go through that torture again.

Verbal Ability 443 95
Biology 425 84
Reading Comprehension 420 76
Quantitative Ability 418 71
Chemistry 430 85
Composite 427 88

I am a returning student/ Career Changer with an overall GPA of about 3.4. My checklist grades for pharmacy school are a 3.8 and my last 80 hours are a 3.76. I have not worked in a pharmacy or medical setting other than in a retail setting near the pharmacy. I have been taking my classes as I could until my children were settled.
I am applying to a top 10 school and a midwestern State school. Can anyone give anecdotal encouragement or advice?

I decided to take the PCAT July 27, 2011 for a baseline score. I was planning on studying more and taking the test a second time in September. I did not have time to study for math or Reading comprehension before taking the test. My calculus and trig are over 20 years old.

I am hoping that these are competitive scores and that perhaps I do not have to go through that torture again.

Verbal Ability 443 95
Biology 425 84
Reading Comprehension 420 76
Quantitative Ability 418 71
Chemistry 430 85
Composite 427 88

I am a returning student/ Career Changer with an overall GPA of about 3.4. My checklist grades for pharmacy school are a 3.8 and my last 80 hours are a 3.76. I have not worked in a pharmacy or medical setting other than in a retail setting near the pharmacy. I have been taking my classes as I could until my children were settled.
I am applying to a top 10 school and a midwestern State school. Can anyone give anecdotal encouragement or advice?

First they are very competitive score. Second your GPA is really high which is a good thing. What about your LORS and PS?

Any of SDNers here chose to do no score for July 27th PCAT? My friend took it and she almost teared up because she studied so hard and had to no score at the end because she thought it was impossible :scared:

I did a no-score. I wanted to get a feeling for the pcat first before I took it for a score. For me, it was well worth the money, as it made me see the areas I needed the most work on.

First they are very competitive score. Second your GPA is really high which is a good thing. What about your LORS and PS?

I am sorry. I guess I am a newbie because I do not understand LORS and PS
Thanks for the encouragement BTW

I am sorry. I guess I am a newbie because I do not understand LORS and PS
Thanks for the encouragement BTW

LORs = letter of recommendation
PS = personal statement

:)

I have three strong references and one good one to the best of my assessment of the situation. I did have them set as private so there can always be a misjudgement of the situation. My recs are from two chemistry teachers, my anatomy teacher and a former principal in a school I taught in recently.

I have not written a personal statement yet. This is the part that is really troubling me. I have actually written about 10 drafts and am not pleased with any of them.

I have a period of lower grades and lots of drops from 20 years back. I have made all but one A since I have come back and have retaken anything in my checklist that was not an A except Calculus I. I was trying to show that I was a serious student.

Any of SDNers here chose to do no score for July 27th PCAT? My friend took it and she almost teared up because she studied so hard and had to no score at the end because she thought it was impossible :scared:
Yea, I took the July 27 pcat n chose to not see my score, but they give a score on ur way out (im guessing thats how she knows she did bad?)
if you dont mind me askin, when she says bad, how low is she talking?
and just remind her that there are people in pharm school who got really low pcat scores, ur last resort is rocking out the interview!

Yea, I took the July 27 pcat n chose to not see my score, but they give a score on ur way out (im guessing thats how she knows she did bad?)
if you dont mind me askin, when she says bad, how low is she talking?
and just remind her that there are people in pharm school who got really low pcat scores, ur last resort is rocking out the interview!

Oh really?:confused: I didn't ask how her score was because I didn't know you get preliminary score report even if you choose to do no score. I have no idea how bad her score is but she's studying to take September PCAT again. Thanks for your response! :thumbup:

Do you have the most recent Dr.Collins version (purchased this year)? I purchased the older version from a buddy that bought 2 years ago and wondered if I should purchase the newer version if you knew.

Readingfiend, how inspirational. And how fantastic to get such a score with 20 year old math! (My math is only like 4 or 5 years old and I still felt like I needed to study so hard!) Way to go!

You may consider putting together a post on the What Are My Chances board... The best thing would be to find what the average is for the 2010 acceptances and see how you compare. (Sometimes it's buried on the college's website.) I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Does your GPA include the "rough patch" you had before? Well done either way - excellent that since you've gone back you've gotten almost straight As. If your GPA includes the lower grades, you just flat out floored me.

As far as your personal statement... why not ask someone to proof read it from the forum? Also, I am finding that googling medical personal statements is helpful as a baseline (I'm still in the thinking & dreaming stage, to draft in the next couple days). You may be intimidating yourself with the personal statement. I know my modesty is getting involved and I'm a little embarrassed at having to brag on paper. :laugh:

You wrote:Does your GPA include the "rough patch" you had before? Well done either way - excellent that since you've gone back you've gotten almost straight As. If your GPA includes the lower grades, you just flat out floored me.

I had a 2.76 when I completed my Undergraduate degree. I had taken some community college hours with a 3.6 prior to transfer to a four year institution. The GPA I stated is a 3.4 for everything I have ever taken up to this point. I have told myself all along that it was an A or I was not going to pharmacy school.

I can not do anything about the grades I made when I was in my twenties. I was struggling to pay for school and do well in a major probably not well suited to me. The reason why my math was ok in spite of the twenty year gap is that I actually have tutored and taught Algebra I algebra II and geometry over the years on numerous occasions. My trigonometry and Calculus are rusty and were untouched before this test. I was so worried about biology that I spent most of my time studying it. Unfortunately the version of the PCAT I saw had what seemed to me an inordinately large amount of Microbiology questions on the biology section. I do not know if this was a fluke or a misassessment on my part but I left feeling that way. I was not prepared for that for sure.

I guess I am a little concerned on how PHARMCAS is going to treat my lower grades in engineering that I got years ago. I still do not know if they will be rendered as science. I of course did not label them as such but we shall see.

Anyway I feel that I have done the best I can to bring the previous bad grades up. I took EVERYTHING over that was for the Pharmacy checklist so that at least I could show I was a serious student. How will they realize though if they look at two stats from Pharmcas: A Pcat score and an overall GPA. I guess I have to get them interested by my essay.

thanks for so many encouraging words on this board.

Unfortunately the version of the PCAT I saw had what seemed to me an inordinately large amount of Microbiology questions on the biology section. I do not know if this was a fluke or a misassessment on my part but I left feeling that way. I was not prepared for that for sure.

Several people agree that it was more focused on trivial things than the big picture