July 6 vs july 14 MCAT--does it matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringDoctor0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to take the july 14th MCAT date to to give me about a week to work on my primary application and about two solid months to continue studying for the exam. However, I saw someone on here say that early July is the latest one should be asking the MCAT since submitting complete primaries mid August would be considered slightly late in the game. So my question is would July 14 be the better option (more prep time; 8am exam as opposed to 1pm on the 6th), or would it be best if I took it on July 6th to ensure that I get my completed primaries off in early August?

Either way, I'll be submitting my primary app to 1 or 2 in state schools on June 1st just to have it verified, then I'll submit to the rest if my MCAT score looks good.

Members don't see this ad.

Trust me when I say you do not want to take the mcat at 8 am. Go with the earlier date. Think about this. You are STARTNG the exam at 8 am. You must be there at least 30 min to an hour early. You must drive there. Figure in traffic. You have to have a good breakfast, go to the bathroom, etc. so you will be waking up at least at 5 am. I don't know about you but most of us don't think better that early

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice; I signed up for the July 6 date. I was actually thinking the 8am time would be better as I'd have less time to stress out about it, but it seems like the general consensus on SDN is the earlier you take the MCAT the better..

You should ideally take the exam around the same time you've been studying for the MCAT. So if you're an early riser/reader, go for the earlier time slot.