July mcat ok?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tds91

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is July 2nd 2013 mcat still not that late for class of 2018 cycle even if it's your first trial? I heard that for people retaking mcat, since they already have the scores, retaking the mcat at a late date is not bad since the schools can use the first score and use the new score later? or is this false?

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

On the application, it puts your MCAT date on there so schools will see that you haven't taken the test yet, or have scheduled a retake and won't look at your app until the score is in there. My test is also in July and I'm just gonna make sure that my primary is in before hand so I can get my transcript processed.

On the application, it puts your MCAT date on there so schools will see that you haven't taken the test yet, or have scheduled a retake and won't look at your app until the score is in there. My test is also in July and I'm just gonna make sure that my primary is in before hand so I can get my transcript processed.

So even for retakers, the schools won't look at the app until the mcat retake score is in?

Members don't see this ad :)
So even for retakers, the schools won't look at the app until the mcat retake score is in?

They'll look at the scores they have, and screen on the scores they have. If your first score was low enough to need a retake, it will probably get you screened most places. Schools don't hold their breath waiting for your theoretical better, new score to show up.

July test does not get scores back until August... Too late in my opinion. Many people have stated that they had unsuccessful cycles because one piece of their app was late, often the MCAT. It does not give you a chance to choose your schools wisely. Do it in May or June if you can.

Apply once, and do it right the first time.

dsoz

July test does not get scores back until August... Too late in my opinion. Many people have stated that they had unsuccessful cycles because one piece of their app was late, often the MCAT. It does not give you a chance to choose your schools wisely. Do it in May or June if you can.

Apply once, and do it right the first time.

dsoz

still late even if primary and everything else is in during June? I was thinking about july 2 mcat too and the score comes back on aug 6

July Mcat can be "okay" or it can be terrible. I had a July MCAT and it kind of pwned me because I didnt start working on my app until after.

If you can work on your PS/EC's etc WHILE studying for the MCAT, and submit your AMCAS around the same day as completing your MCAT (that also means sending your transcripts in 2-3 weeks before your MCAT)

and then pre-writing all your secondaries while you wait to get verified, you should be in decent shape. If you do it like me you might be screwed, some people applied late and received like 1 ii.

July Mcat can be "okay" or it can be terrible. I had a July MCAT and it kind of pwned me because I didnt start working on my app until after.

If you can work on your PS/EC's etc WHILE studying for the MCAT, and submit your AMCAS around the same day as completing your MCAT (that also means sending your transcripts in 2-3 weeks before your MCAT)

and then pre-writing all your secondaries while you wait to get verified, you should be in decent shape. If you do it like me you might be screwed, some people applied late and received like 1 ii.

what if I submit my primary and recs in June, pre write all my secondaries after I'm done with july 2 mcat (or submit secondaries if they come in before mcat score comes out), and then submit secondaries after 8/6 (the date my mcat score is released) when schools start sending secondaries. So I should be complete around mid august???

what if I submit my primary and recs in June, pre write all my secondaries after I'm done with july 2 mcat (or submit secondaries if they come in before mcat score comes out), and then submit secondaries after 8/6 (the date my mcat score is released) when schools start sending secondaries. So I should be complete around mid august???

That is fine. The main thing is to get your primary submitted so it can be verified. The verification of the primary is the big thing here. If you can effectively get everything done beforehand so that all you have left is the MCAT, you should be good to go as a complete application in August is not late.

That is fine. The main thing is to get your primary submitted so it can be verified. The verification of the primary is the big thing here. If you can effectively get everything done beforehand so that all you have left is the MCAT, you should be good to go as a complete application in August is not late.

Thank you. For people who submit everything including mcat scores by June, when is the earliest time they would be considered complete at schools after turning in secondaries? Would it be earlier than middle of July?

I took a July MCAT and was interviewed at 3 and accepted to 2. *shrugs* I wasn't shooting for the stars with these schools, but it didn't kill my application. It's more important to do well on the MCAT than to do it early. If you feel like you need the time, then do it. There's no point in taking it earlier and doing worse - that'll hurt your application more than time.