June 15th MCAT Retake: when do I choose my schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opejustsneakrightby

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am a reapplicant and I am trying to figure out my life (lol). Last cycle I applied to ~20 MD programs, interviewed at only Vermont, and am currently waitlisted. I applied with a 509 MCAT last cycle but I am retaking the MCAT on June 15th. Right now, I am thinking of just applying to my state school to have my application verified because after grinding the last number of months my score has increased substantially (AAMC full-length #1: 518 and #2: 521). I'm planning to take the third next week.

Here are my current stats for this application cycle: (New work/activities since last application)
  • cGPA: 3.941 sGPA: ~3.940
  • Undergrad: attended a state school
  • Clinical experience:
  • Current full-time medical scribe (will have 2000+ hours)
  • Emergency Department volunteer (150 hours)
  • Summer Internship with Orthopedics/Sports Medicine clinic (200)
  • Physician shadowing (70 hours across 5 specialties)
  • Research:
  • Undergrad research assistant (700 hours)
  • Publication 3rd author – impact factor 13.325
  • Recipient of undergraduate research scholarship
  • Non-clinical volunteering
  • Big Brothers Big Sisters mentor (75 hours)
  • Homeless shelter (150 hours)
  • Leadership
  • Teaching Assistant (350 hours)
  • Committee chair of three undergraduate fraternity committees - Community Service, Philanthropy, Grievance (75 hours)

Basically, I’m wondering if it is smart to wait for my second MCAT score to come in to solidify my school list because I know that if my score turns out to be in the range that I am currently scoring (518-521), the schools that I apply to will change significantly, or will I be put at too much of a disadvantage waiting until July 17th when I get my score back to choose my schools. I'll get my app verified as soon as possible regardless. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about your specific question. However, you should at least submit your app to the "lower tier" schools on your list anyways. Unless that impacts your focus on the incoming MCAT, which it shouldn't because you are already hitting the score you want.

Submit your primary application as soon as it opens and apply to at least one school [I may go ahead and apply to the schools you are 100% sure you'll apply to... i.e. state schools] so your app gets verified. Then I would pre-write secondaries post-MCAT in this order: state schools, low/mid-tier, then wait until you get your MCAT score to see if you're able to apply to higher tier schools. [or pre-write them last if you still have time before you get your score]. If you get all your stuff in before Labor Day, you're technically not late!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to one school now. Post your new MCAT score here when available in July and I can suggest which schools you can add.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello! I am a reapplicant and I am trying to figure out my life (lol). Last cycle I applied to ~20 MD programs, interviewed at only Vermont, and am currently waitlisted. I applied with a 509 MCAT last cycle but I am retaking the MCAT on June 15th. Right now, I am thinking of just applying to my state school to have my application verified because after grinding the last number of months my score has increased substantially (AAMC full-length #1: 518 and #2: 521). I'm planning to take the third next week.

Here are my current stats for this application cycle: (New work/activities since last application)
  • Clinical experience:
  • Research:
  • Leadership
  • Committee chair of three undergraduate fraternity committees - Community Service, Philanthropy, Grievance (75 hours)

Basically, I’m wondering if it is smart to wait for my second MCAT score to come in to solidify my school list because I know that if my score turns out to be in the range that I am currently scoring (518-521), the schools that I apply to will change significantly, or will I be put at too much of a disadvantage waiting until July 17th when I get my score back to choose my schools. I'll get my app verified as soon as possible regardless. Thanks in advance!
Getting your score back in the middle of July is not late. Please spread the word on that because we're going to see a lot of posts like that now that application season has started.

If you apply with your current MCAT score, your application will be judged on your current MCAT score. Medical schools are under no obligation to wait for your new score.
Once you have your new score then we can advise properly

Reactions: 1 user

• Clinical experience:
  • Research:
  • Leadership

Is there a possibility that it isn’t your score that is the problem? I’d apply to a few DO schools just in case.