June takers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess they are trying to increase the relevance of the writing portion since the actual test taking time will be longer. All these modifications to the main parts are just to allot more time for the writing section.:confused:

To be honest, I'm not sure that getting a 1 on the writing subtest irreparably damages one's application to pharmacy school.

Members don't see this ad :)
just curious if there would be any changes in chemistry too....something like more Organic than physical or vice versa

So its 48 questions now, but how many minutes for each section?

I imagine that the time will be scaled down since the whole point of the changes is to create more time for the expanded writing section. I don't have a CIB on me (I should get one now), so I don't have the exact times. Regardless, I wouldn't expect the frenzied pace of the PCAT to slow down with this change.:)

I will be taking the PCAT in August
Good Luck to all of you taking the PCAT in June, let us all know how it goes:)

According to Harcourt this is the break down...

1. Writing (30 Minutes) 1 Writing Topic​
Conventions of Language
Problem Solving​

2. Verbal Ability (30 Minutes) 48 Items​
Analogies 60%
Sentence Completion 40%​

3. Biology (30 Minutes) 48 Items​
General Biology 60%
Microbiology 20%
Anatomy & Physiology 20%​

4. Chemistry (30 Minutes) 48 Items​
General Chemistry 60%
Organic Chemistry 40%​
Rest Break

5. Writing (30 Minutes) 1 Writing Topic​
Conventions of Language
Problem Solving​

6. Reading Comprehension (50 Minutes) 6 Passages & 48 Items​
Comprehension 30%
Analysis 40%
Evaluation 30%​

7. Quantitative Ability (40 Minutes) 48 Items​
Basic Math 15%
Algebra 20%
Probability & Statistics 20%
Precalculus 22%
Calculus 22%​

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be taking the PCAT in August​

Good Luck to all of you taking the PCAT in June, let us all know how it goes:)

According to Harcourt this is the break down...

1. Writing (30 Minutes) 1 Writing Topic
Conventions of Language
Problem Solving

2. Verbal Ability (30 Minutes) 48 Items
Analogies 60%
Sentence Completion 40%

3. Biology (30 Minutes) 48 Items
General Biology 60%
Microbiology 20%
Anatomy & Physiology 20%

4. Chemistry (30 Minutes) 48 Items
General Chemistry 60%
Organic Chemistry 40%
Rest Break

5. Writing (30 Minutes) 1 Writing Topic
Conventions of Language
Problem Solving

6. Reading Comprehension (50 Minutes) 6 Passages & 48 Items
Comprehension 30%
Analysis 40%
Evaluation 30%

7. Quantitative Ability (40 Minutes) 48 Items
Basic Math 15%
Algebra 20%
Probability & Statistics 20%
Precalculus 22%
Calculus 22%

HOW MANY WRITING TOPICS MAN...

I'm officially in panic mode...40% organic chemistry??? there goes my 80th percentile on the chemistry portion :(

i still dont understand these changes...how many writing topics there and are they in the same time..what do they mean by

''Of the 48 items for each multiple-choice subtest, 40 will be core items that count toward examinees'; scores, and 8 will be experimental items being field-tested for possible use as core items on future test forms''....

and will the chemistry and verbal be the same ?

i still dont understand these changes...how many writing topics there and are they in the same time..what do they mean by

''Of the 48 items for each multiple-choice subtest, 40 will be core items that count toward examinees'; scores, and 8 will be experimental items being field-tested for possible use as core items on future test forms''....

and will the chemistry and verbal be the same ?

Instead of writing one essay, you now have to write two. You still will have 30 minutes for each essay.

In every standardized exam, the test company often puts in "experimental" questions that don't count for or against your score. They are there as a test to see if they are worth having in future exams. For this newer PCAT, Harcourt just wanted to announce the new distribution between new and old as they've been using experimental questions for a while. With the shortened exam, they just wanted to give people a heads up

Verbal will be the same.....

Instead of writing one essay, you now have to write two. You still will have 30 minutes for each essay.

In every standardized exam, the test company often puts in "experimental" questions that don't count for or against your score. They are there as a test to see if they are worth having in future exams. For this newer PCAT, Harcourt just wanted to announce the new distribution between new and old as they've been using experimental questions for a while. With the shortened exam, they just wanted to give people a heads up

Verbal will be the same.....
so how do i know this question is experimental or not...or they can choose 8 wrong answers?

You don't.....:D

Getting all those experimental questions wrong won't hurt your score. Getting eight true questions wrong instead will.

Yea you just pray that the question that was so poorly worded that you had to guess for the right answer is the experimental one. Not that you'l have time in the exam to guess which is the experimental one.

Guys, I have some questions I need your help with:
1. I always run out of time when I do reading comprehension section (about 5-10 min late). So, does it make more sense to read answers first and then the passage or still first do the text and then the answers.
2. I am afraid I won’t be able to fall asleep at the night before the exam. I am getting so nervous when I think about the test. How did you sleep before that day?
3 Is it appropriate to wear jeans, does anybody care what outfit you have on? Can I take a jacket in, if it’s cold there? I know these questions might seem silly but nobody besides you guys can help me.
4. When they say” no electronic devices” so it means to leave cell phone in the car? Or you can bring a purse and leave it somewhere in the corner.
5. Did you have anybody of your family waiting on you during the break? Like with coffee and chocolate for instance, so your brain could get some fuel?
I will appreciate any clarification about the subject.

Good luck to everyone!

Guys, I have some questions I need your help with:
1. I always run out of time when I do reading comprehension section (about 5-10 min late). So, does it make more sense to read answers first and then the passage or still first do the text and then the answers.
2. I am afraid I won’t be able to fall asleep at the night before the exam. I am getting so nervous when I think about the test. How did you sleep before that day?
3 Is it appropriate to wear jeans, does anybody care what outfit you have on? Can I take a jacket in, if it’s cold there? I know these questions might seem silly but nobody besides you guys can help me.
4. When they say” no electronic devices” so it means to leave cell phone in the car? Or you can bring a purse and leave it somewhere in the corner.
5. Did you have anybody of your family waiting on you during the break? Like with coffee and chocolate for instance, so your brain could get some fuel?
I will appreciate any clarification about the subject.

Good luck to everyone!

1. Though that strategy works for some, I wouldn't recommend it. Unlike the SAT and ACT, PCAT passage answers are based off of interpretations from reading the passage. By reading the answers first and basing your search there, you are more tempted to waste time looking for a specific sentence that fits the question. Though it may seem like the answer revolves around a few sentences, it's better to understand the author's point of view and message that would lead to answering questions better.

I suppose that writing very short notes in the margins and doing a quick analysis of the answer choices to rule out distortions, out-of-context, and opposite-to-the author's-opinion answers help for certain types of learners help as long as it doesn't sacrifice time.

2. I usually go to bed a lot earlier to compensate for restlessness. If that doesn't work, you could always have a few drinks to knock you out. Just don't drink enough to get a hangover during the exam.:D

3. If you have an idea what room you will be taking the test in, then wear appropriate clothing for the climate in the room. Nobody cares what you wear as long its appropriate, so comfort is the key goal in choosing your outfit.

4. Though the PCAT rules are strict for electronic device and bag usage coupled with some nasty proctors, you may find a more relaxed proctor who will let you bring it in the room as long as you turn it off. If it goes off for any reason, your test could be voided. So, I would take out the battery to prevent an alarm you may have forgotten. This way, you still have your cell phone and purse nearby without it becoming a liability for suspicion of cheating.

5. I just brought some brain food with me as my proctor allowed us to bring a bag. I believe that I just had to put my backpack at the side of the room for common sense purposes. Some testing locations are friendly for family to drop by and provide you with replenishment during breaks. My exam was in a student union, so it was possible for family to wait in the union and give me stuff when I came out for breaks. As long as they don't interfere with the administration, they shouldn't be trouble. Still, I would just bring the stuff myself.

omnione, I want to personally thank you for taking your time and explaining everything to me in complete detail. I really appreciate that. :hello:
Wish you the best

why whats wrong with organic ...i guess its better than doing calculations

Oh no I'll take calculations anyday over predicting reaction products and mechanisms. Organic Chemistry single-handedly destroyed my sophomore year GPA:( and I'm suffering the consequences now! Saying it is not my forte is an understatement.

THe last time I took the exam, the proctor collected everyone's cell phones and lined them up on the front desk and we weren't allowed to collect them until the end of the exam. A lot of us had the same phones so it was a pain to sort through the pile at the end when all of us just wanted to get the hell out of there. Just leave it in your car.

Chokita, you can alway take sleeping tea the night before the exam. It's my mother's secret to overcoming jetlag. Otherwise, you can always hitup Nyquil ... ha!

Thank you guys for your help. :) I just want to avoid any mistakes and prepare as much as I can.
By the way, I have been practicing Tests from the Cliffs today (particularly #3). Goush, It takes so much time, which I could have spent on a real study! :(I wanna share my results and compare with yours if anyone wants to post it.
Verbal – 72%;
Bio – 76%;
Reading – 76%
Math – 75;
Chem – 65%
I wonder if I can draw any conclusion about my possible PCAT score. :confused:

wanna share my results and compare with yours if anyone wants to post it.
Verbal – 72%;
Bio – 76%;
Reading – 76%
Math – 75;
Chem – 65%
I wonder if I can draw any conclusion about my possible PCAT score. :confused:

You didn't list your overall score, but it looks like its in the seventies right? If so, is your GPA high enough to compensate?

Before I draw any conclusions, did you feel like you maxed out after taking this PCAT or did you leave realizing that you knew the material but forgot it for the exam?

So far I got GPA 3.8, but I still have 18 hours left of pre-reqs.
For my school (UT Memphis) average PCAT score is about 75%. I would be happy to score around 80-85, so I will be safe. I found some questions from the Cliffs are way too ambiguous.:confused:
for instance, Test#3 Bio section, 73:
Unicellular animals, such as paramecium, were first described by
A. Linnaeus;
B. Darwin;
C. Hooke;
D. Leeuwenhoek.
or another one #88:
Which of the following gastrointestinal disorders is not caused by a protozoan?
A. amoebiasis;
B. shigellosis
C. giardiasis
D. cryptosporidiosis.
Is it kind of questions I should be expecting to see on the test? First on doesn't make any sense.:eek:

So far I got GPA 3.8, but I still have 18 hours left of pre-reqs.
For my school (UT Memphis) average PCAT score is about 75%. I would be happy to score around 80-85, so I will be safe. I found some questions from the Cliffs are way too ambiguous.:confused:
for instance, Test#3 Bio section, 73:
Unicellular animals, such as paramecium, were first described by
A. Linnaeus;
B. Darwin;
C. Hooke;
D. Leeuwenhoek.
or another one #88:
Which of the following gastrointestinal disorders is not caused by a protozoan?
A. amoebiasis;
B. shigellosis
C. giardiasis
D. cryptosporidiosis.
Is it kind of questions I should be expecting to see on the test? First on doesn't make any sense.:eek:

The first question is probably not going to show up, although if you paid attention in biology class you should know that you can narrow the answer down to C or D right off the bat. I would pick Leeuwenhoek just because I remember he did something with water and microscopes.

The second question is a tougher question, but it is within the range of the microbiology requirement (although PCAT questions aren't usually that ambiguous; they usually give you some sort of hint in the question/answers that allow you to eliminate at least two of the answers). However, if you have a working knowledge of different types of organisms/bacteria, you could potentially recognize shigellosis as being related to Shigella, a bacterial genus. Just off of that, I would pick shigellosis (after eliminating amoebiasis since amoebas are clearly protozoan).

The moral of the story though is not to take too much stock in each question. Look for reasonable answers to eliminate, and then if you can't find an answer you're 100% sure about, make a reasonable and educated guess. Most of their questions are pretty easy though; it's the few perplexing ones that you have to stew over a bit.