Ask any question, future PCAT test takers!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurepharmD103

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I took my PCAT today and wanted to offer to answer any question for future test takers since I received many help from here.

I made 97 composite!

:)

Members don't see this ad.

1. Were there a lot of biochem and o chem in the chem section?
  2. Did you find that you had to read the passages to answer most of the questions?

1. Were there a lot of biochem and o chem in the chem section?
  2. Did you find that you had to read the passages to answer most of the questions?
1. Yes, I felt like more than the General Chem!
2. Actually not really. I'd recommend always reading the questions first. Most of the times, you can answer then with your previous background knowledge or just quickly reference the figures/tables. However, I would recommend searching carefully for the problems that say "according to the passage" or something similar because they actually had soem obvious answers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! How did you prepare for your writing and reading section? I signed up for the September test, do you have some tips? Thanks.

Hi. How did you study for the test? I'm planning to study the Dr. Collins study guide but I'm not sure if an older version is fine.

Congrats! How did you prepare for your writing and reading section? I signed up for the September test, do you have some tips? Thanks.
Thank you! Actually, those are my two lowest sections (77 on Reading, 3.0 on Writing). Therefore, I don't think my tips would be helpful there. But on the actual test, try to answer all questions first without reading the passages (for Bio and Chem) and especially for Chem. For math, I skipped all the long word problems even if they seemed easy which saved me a lot of time. Good luck!!

Hi. How did you study for the test? I'm planning to study the Dr. Collins study guide but I'm not sure if an older version is fine.
I mainly used Dr. Collins, especially for the Chem. I think all the questions should be similar to the new version minus the passages and the biochem problems in chem?? If you are able to purchase one or more Pearson practice tests to supplement the passage-based questions, I think you should be fine!

Amazing ... you got a 77 on reading comprehension, but end up with a 97 composite? How good were your chem and bio?!

My question for the PCAT is .... How specific were the ochem and gen chem sections? I'm using Dr. Collin's and I'm not sure if I should memorize all the electronic config stuff, the molecular shapes, every single small gen chem equation etc.

Do you think I should just focus the next 3 weeks on bio/chem and then just yolo the reading?

Amazing ... you got a 77 on reading comprehension, but end up with a 97 composite? How good were your chem and bio?!

My question for the PCAT is .... How specific were the ochem and gen chem sections? I'm using Dr. Collin's and I'm not sure if I should memorize all the electronic config stuff, the molecular shapes, every single small gen chem equation etc.

Do you think I should just focus the next 3 weeks on bio/chem and then just yolo the reading?
I got 91 on Bio and 99 on Chem, so I definitely think it's true that Chemistry weighs the most in the composite. I don't think the chemistry questions were specific at all. I did memorize the electronic configurations and molecular shapes because they are not too bad. But I didn't see too many gen chem equations on my test. Maybe the most common ones: Ka, Ksp, Kp, pv=nrt, etc. You should know the basic organic chem equations such as hydrolysis, dehydration, etc. and the functional groups.

It really depends on how you feel... Do you feel comfortable on bio and chem? Are you generally good at reading comprehension?

Hello! I'm planning to take the PCAT either in November or January, and I'd please like to know how long it took you to study and if you used a study schedule or not.

If you did, would you mind sharing it? Congrats on the scores!