Junior attending Hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unty

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a junior attending, how late did you work when you first started out and how big was your hospital/practice/volume?

I know some junior attendings working from 6 am until past 10 pm at some places (busy academic or busy community hospitals).

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on so many factors. I never went early unless I had frozen sections and I never left late unless I had frozen sections.

I don’t believe # of hours is as important as what you do with your time.

My advice is to be dilligent but be efficient. Sitting at work til 10pm doesn’t make anyone a hero; IMO it just makes them inefficient.

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t think they were inefficient. More like inexperienced and just starting out on the job. I know plenty of fellows staying that late as well. Wouldn’t be surprised to see someone in their First year of work being there late as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked 12-14 hours a day/7 days week (which was pretty much par with my residency experience) when I started out in PP and my wife constantly reminds me of this. I was always stringing together a ton of gigs and hustling like a mad man though, definitely not typical.

Reactions: 1 users
Don’t think they were inefficient. More like inexperienced and just starting out on the job. I know plenty of fellows staying that late as well. Wouldn’t be surprised to see someone in their First year of work being there late as well.

being a fellow and being an attending are totally different sides of the coin and shouldn't be compared.

It takes time for a new attending to become confident and secure in their sign-out abilities. One of the biggest mistakes younger attendings do is assume that spending more hours in the office is somehow a positive thing. It is not, IMO.

Last edited: