junior author????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Samus Aran

Old member
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In terms of a paper being submitted for a journal publication, does being a junior author mean your name is second or just anywhere after the main author?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about junior author, but I know that I am co-author on a few publications. Maybe junior author means anyone other than the lead investigator.

Senior author refers to the PI's (Principal Investigators) that contributed to the paper. These names are found at the end of the paper. The last name on a paper is the PI, but sometimes it can be the last two or last three if there is a collaborative effort between two or three labs. Everyone else is a junior author.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by premed
Senior author refers to the PI's (Principal Investigators) that contributed to the paper. These names are found at the end of the paper. The last name on a paper is the PI, but sometimes it can be the last two or last three if there is a collaborative effort between two or three labs. Everyone else is a junior author.

My co-authored pubs have my PI first, not last. But as for junior author, no clue.

the last name on a paper is customarily the senior investigator, usually the person who's lab the work was mainly conducted in...