MD & DO Junior in Ivy League, terrible GPA, need guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bournvita

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think most people would advise you to keep working hard and get good grades the rest of the way. An SMP program would be your best option after graduation in my opinion.

I'm probably misreading your post but are you really planning to retake your Ws all next semester? You do need them for the MCAT and since you are planning on taking that next summer..,

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm probably misreading your post but are you really planning to retake your Ws all next semester? You do need them for the MCAT and since you are planning on taking that next summer..,

I am auditing orgo 1 after withdrawing it. I will take chem 2 next semester, and bio1+chem 1 in the summer. Would it be unwise to take the mcats at the end of the summer, after those two summer classes? I think I will have a little more than 2 months to prepare.

Yeah I think that would be a bad idea. You really need the MCAT to be a redeeming aspect of your app. I would devote a solid 3-4 months to study your butt off .
I am auditing orgo 1 after withdrawing it. I will take chem 2 next semester, and bio1+chem 1 in the summer. Would it be unwise to take the mcats at the end of the summer, after those two summer classes? I think I will have a little more than 2 months to prepare.

Yeah I think that would be a bad idea. You really need the MCAT to be a redeeming aspect of your app. I would devote a solid 3-4 months to study your butt off .

I think you're right. I just really wanted to take the MCAT before it changes to the new version. I was planning on starting some MCAT review now, but I guess it won't be intense enough. Would appreciate other opinions on what I should do.

Sounds likea good plan.

I have read many, many threads and stickies on this forum and have decided to post on WAMC to bounce off ideas of what to do with my situation.

My plan: Take MCAT in 2014 summer. Take hard science post bacc classes at Rutgers after graduation until my stats are better.
Apply for med schools in 2016 summer. Simultaneously apply for SMP with strong linkages program. Hope for the best.