Just a few questions about Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flyingleads

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am new to the forum. I am in undergrad at LSU and planning to apply to vet school in the fall. I was just curious to see if anyone wanted to share what all supplies they had to buy during each of their 4 years of vet school.

Also, does anyone have an example of their daily schedules during the week. What hours do veterinary students usually have?

Members don't see this ad.

Each school varies depending on the type of teaching they do (PBR, lecture-based, etc). Have you shadowed any vets yet? They would be a big help (I know the ones I shadowed were very helpful). Also, I would email some of the schools and see if they could give you any info, or even the contact info of students that are willing to answer some questions. Most of us on this forum are applying/have applied to vet school, so we haven't actually started yet.

Well, this won't give you everything, but a lot of vet schools have posted their curricula, including what hours and days of the week required classes are scheduled.

Members don't see this ad :)
Each school varies depending on the type of teaching they do (PBR, lecture-based, etc). Have you shadowed any vets yet? They would be a big help (I know the ones I shadowed were very helpful). Also, I would email some of the schools and see if they could give you any info, or even the contact info of students that are willing to answer some questions. Most of us on this forum are applying/have applied to vet school, so we haven't actually started yet.

Yes. I worked for a vet for 4 1/2 years and I work at a horse stable now. The vet that I worked for was in school in teh late 80s and he did not give me much information. Thanks for your reply though!!

I was just curious to see if anyone wanted to share what all supplies they had to buy during each of their 4 years of vet school.

Also, does anyone have an example of their daily schedules during the week. What hours do veterinary students usually have?

Supplies: the usual supplies (pens, pencils, paper, notebooks), textbooks, class notes, scrubs, white coats, latex gloves, needle holders, dissection kit, thumb drive, stethascope, reflex hammer, opth head, pen light, cover-alls, boots. That was FY. Next year will be more of the same, plus sterile surgical gloves and renting a spay kit.

Hours: last semester was 8am-4:30pm M-F, with several of us having an electing on Thursday that went till 6pm (with 2-3 extra afternoons off depending on animal unit schedule). This semester, M, T, Th, F 8am-4:30pm, W = 8am-3:30pm, and Thursday has two electives (one till 6pm, the other from 6pm-7:30pm.) Again, a few extra afternoons off depending on animal unit schedule.

Courses for all 4 years are on the website. But the basic rundown:
FY, S1:
Anatomy, SA
Physiology
Microbiology
Evidence based med
Careers
Animal unit
Histology
Elective: zoo med
+ two 1 week intensive specialty courses called selectives

FY, S2: