Just a (semi-)random question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aquabat

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about this scenario. I have an interview coming up, but didn't think of this until recently. When you're at an interview, and they ask you, "What other schools have you applied to?" does that mean that you're supposed to name every school that you checked in the primary app? Or only the schools that you submitted secondaries to? For me, my situation is that there were a few schools that I checked on the primary, but then didn't submit secondaries to them for various reasons. Does that still count as applying to those few schools, even though I didn't complete their secondaries? I don't want to be seen as a liar to the interviewers if they ask me this and I only name the schools I submitted secondaries to.

Members don't see this ad.

aquabat said:
I was wondering about this scenario. I have an interview coming up, but didn't think of this until recently. When you're at an interview, and they ask you, "What other schools have you applied to?" does that mean that you're supposed to name every school that you checked in the primary app? Or only the schools that you submitted secondaries to? For me, my situation is that there were a few schools that I checked on the primary, but then didn't submit secondaries to them for various reasons. Does that still count as applying to those few schools, even though I didn't complete their secondaries? I don't want to be seen as a liar to the interviewers if they ask me this and I only name the schools I submitted secondaries to.

They really arn't suppose to ask this question but it was asked anyway.

I told them the schools I interviewed at. I guess if I hadn't interviewed at the point they asked me I would have told them the schools I had sent secondary apps to.

Just go in, be honest and you'll do fine.

They know that most likely you have applied to a lot of schools. And yes, they are not supposed to ask this, but Western is s blatant that they put it on the secondary. Be honest. If you applied to 30 schools, give them a line like, "Well as you know most applicants apply to a lot of schools, my top choices are..."

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! I haven't been asked this question at previous interviews, but when I was reviewing my application again this past week, I don't know, I was just thinking about the possibility of it being asked this time around.

I believe NSU asked that question on my application, as well as in my interview. At the interview, i told them that I did not submit secondaries to some schools. I had already gotten acceptances by the time I interviewed at NSU and told them, as well as repeating several times that NSU was my first choice. I think honesty is best, but you aren't obligated to go down your entire list of who you applied to in the beginning, who you sent secondaries to, who offered you interviews, who you gave deposits too, etc. You can be honest while being brief.

Best of luck

They usually want to know because they want to know if you applied to any M.D. schools, because that would potentially weaken your "I want to be a D.O. because it's a great philosophy blah blah" argument.

You don't have to answer them directly, be diplomatic about it. Like everyone else said- give them an answer that makes you look good.

By the way, interviews shouldn't be just Q n' A... make it a conversation. You can even tell them why, where, what your parents think, etc. Don't let them restrict you in the interview. You can guide them onto topics you feel most comfortable with. :luck:

Dr.ImCute said:
They usually want to know because they want to know if you applied to any M.D. schools, because that would potentially weaken your "I want to be a D.O. because it's a great philosophy blah blah" argument.

That's exactly why they aren't supposed to ask. But they often do anyway. There are many reasons why a proDO candidate may apply to Allopathic schools. I almost applied to my grandfathers alma mater, but decided against it at the last minute. I also thought about applying to the UCs, but didn't when I realized that I didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting in.

Dr.ImCute said:
You don't have to answer them directly, be diplomatic about it. Like everyone else said- give them an answer that makes you look good.

I would be careful. If you are good at steering them away from an abrasive question, then do it. but don't try to avoid questions. If they ask you a question, answer it.

Dr.ImCute said:
By the way, interviews shouldn't be just Q n' A... make it a conversation. You can even tell them why, where, what your parents think, etc. Don't let them restrict you in the interview. You can guide them onto topics you feel most comfortable with. :luck:

I totally agree. I actually got into an argument with my interviewer at UHS :laugh:. It was loads of fun. It turned out that he agreed with me but was playing devils advocate. He wanted to see if I would stick to my guns.

Good luck

wbdo

One thing I always liked to do at the end of my interviews where people ask questions like these is fire some back at them. Hey, they opened the door by asking that question in the first place.

So, why did you select (name of school) to be an academic physician at?

What did you like best about this school?

What do you think this school could improve upon?

What do you think (name of school) does better than other schools? What puts you on the map?

HE HE HE
:oops:

Robz said:
One thing I always liked to do at the end of my interviews where people ask questions like these is fire some back at them. Hey, they opened the door by asking that question in the first place.

What do you think (name of school) does better than other schools? What puts you on the map?

HE HE HE

Yes, questions for them are good. I would suggest that you have 5 generic questions for every school that you interview at. I'd also suggest that you do some research and come up with some school specific questions to ask as well.

But tread lightly, if Daveyboy is listening, maybe he can tell about his dad's experience at Harvard. Dave you out there???

wbdo

Robz said:

HE HE HE
Hehe, I have used two of those questions at another interview. :D They're two of my generic questions, and then I'll usually have at least two specific ones about the particular school. Thanks everyone for the tips! I was going to add to everyone's karma, but I guess they're not doing that anymore.

aquabat said:
Hehe, I have used two of those questions at another interview. :D They're two of my generic questions, and then I'll usually have at least two specific ones about the particular school. Thanks everyone for the tips! I was going to add to everyone's karma, but I guess they're not doing that anymore.

well you can remember us if they bring it back ;)

WannabeDO said:
well you can remember us if they bring it back ;)
Sure, I'll definitely do that! :thumbup: