Just a thought

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burgler09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be smart to transfer to an undergrad university and gain residency in a state with more state dental schools that base a lot of their acceptances to their in-state students such as states like Florida, Texas or California?

Members don't see this ad.

Would it be smart to transfer to an undergrad university and gain residency in a state with more state dental schools that base a lot of their acceptances to their in-state students such as states like Florida, Texas or California?

I would NOT recommend California. The schools are so competitive it's practically like not having a state school to fall back on.

Texas would be good though, imo.

Also you have to be a part time student for a year and work full time (in my state at least). So you'll probably end up delaying yourself for a year...

Members don't see this ad :)
Florida only has two dental schools, one private and one public. California schools are hard to get into. In addition, out of the 5 dental schools in cali, 3 are private. If you want an in state advantage, Texas is the way to go. They have a lot of dental schools and they take like a grand total of 5 out of state applicants between all the schools combined. However, you shouldn't base your thinking on which state to move to get any so called advantage, but instead worry about your GPA and DAT.

I have heard many adcoms being urged to determine residency by location of high school graduation. Therefore, it might now be out of your control.