Just another MCAT question :D

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calizboosted76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.
So I planned to take the MCAT on June 28th BUT, I took the unscored AAMC and using the reddit converter got a 496. Then I took my FL AAMC and got a 497 today. I will be pushing my exam back to July 20-25 seeing as Goro said this will still be okay. I am definitely lacking in the chem/phys section so I am going to continue with online series (Khan, Crash course, etc.) and utilize the Qpacks and Section banks. I am hoping that this is enough time to raise my score. I have already purchased a Next step bundle of FL tests and will also be utilizing the free Kaplan test before taking the last two AAMC. DOes anyone have any tips, tricks, or magic to help with Chem/Phys? I did well in Gen chem 1&2, Orgo 1&2, and Physics 1&2.
Thanks in advance.

P.S. Target score is 505+

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would recommend doing the CHEM/PHYS associated EK1001 sets to really nail whatever subsection you are lacking in within this section.

There are many people posting that they are under 500 on practice exams. Most of these people ignore the numerous study plans here at SDN. I scored 12 points higher than what my GPA and SAT predicted I should. I am 100% certain this is because I followed the plans laid out by KoalaT, Zendabi90, and Nymeria. Before choosing my study plan, I did my due diligence by tabulating how people were doing with the different materials and in the end all three of those plans were right on the mark.

If you want to do well, follow those study plans. They work for people like us. Geniuses will get 520 no matter what they use. If you want to get better the formula is simple: TBR for C/P and B/B, EK and TPR for CARS, TPR for P/S. Review for a short while and then learn the material by doing thousands and thousands of questions. From there, do the Q packs and section banks. Mix in some UWorld or EK for double checking your content. Take 5 to 10 FLs (all 4 from AAMC and a few from any other source, it doesn't really matter which ones you use.)

TBR will teach you how to think about questions, TPR will get you analyzing CARS and P/S passages, and AAMC materials will show you what to expect on your exam, more or less.

Hey everyone.
So I planned to take the MCAT on June 28th BUT, I took the unscored AAMC and using the reddit converter got a 496. Then I took my FL AAMC and got a 497 today. I will be pushing my exam back to July 20-25 seeing as Goro said this will still be okay. I am definitely lacking in the chem/phys section so I am going to continue with online series (Khan, Crash course, etc.) and utilize the Qpacks and Section banks. I am hoping that this is enough time to raise my score. I have already purchased a Next step bundle of FL tests and will also be utilizing the free Kaplan test before taking the last two AAMC. DOes anyone have any tips, tricks, or magic to help with Chem/Phys? I did well in Gen chem 1&2, Orgo 1&2, and Physics 1&2.
Thanks in advance.

P.S. Target score is 505+
Will you be applying this cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as I can increase my score to at least a 505.
Won't taking ur MCAT in July, especially the end of July, substantially hurt your chances of acceptance since your score won't even be given back to you until mid August? I have heard taking it any point past the beginning of June substantially begins to hurt your chances of acceptance, so I am taking it June 15th at the latest. That is at least the consensus I have received about the topic from different advisors. Sorry, these questions are kind of random.

Won't taking ur MCAT in July, especially the end of July, substantially hurt your chances of acceptance since your score won't even be given back to you until mid August? I have heard taking it any point past the beginning of June substantially begins to hurt your chances of acceptance, so I am taking it June 15th at the latest. That is at least the consensus I have received about the topic from different advisors. Sorry, these questions are kind of random.

From my understanding from the wise @Goro as long as my scores are back to MD by labor day and DO by thanksgiving I wont be considered late. SO I find goros advice to be golden as does everyone else on this forum.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly knowing the amino acids and how to read a graph was a large part of my MCAT. Try not to get boggled down by long complicated passages and try to find the info you need!

Reactions: 4 users
Honestly knowing the amino acids and how to read a graph was a large part of my MCAT. Try not to get boggled down by long complicated passages and try to find the info you need!

I think that is a big problem of mine and as I review the AAMC FL 1 I am finding that I missed alot of amino acid questions because I am not comfortable with them. I made flashcards today.

From my understanding from the wise @Goro as long as my scores are back to MD by labor day and DO by thanksgiving I wont be considered late. SO I find goros advice to be golden as does everyone else on this forum.
Honestly thats great to know! I have been so scared to push my MCAT off a bit because of what I have heard, but thats a breath of fresh air.

I think that is a big problem of mine and as I review the AAMC FL 1 I am finding that I missed alot of amino acid questions because I am not comfortable with them. I made flashcards today.
Ya memorize them! I found them to be very high yield. Know structure 1 and 3 letter code and name.

Ya memorize them! I found them to be very high yield. Know structure 1 and 3 letter code and name.

Working on that right now! While going through and seeing how many of the questions I missed had to do with amino acids Im sure that I could have picked up a couple points on my overall score.

Update for everyone, I took another full length today from NS and scored a 499 (125, 123, 126, 125) Scoring that low in CARS is not normally like me. I have scored pretty consist with cars in the 127 area but today I had my 2 month old next to me with a fever and when she would begin to cry my mom would come grab her. I am steadily increasing and will keep everyone informed. Is the NS harder then the AAMC FL?

Update for everyone, I took another full length today from NS and scored a 499 (125, 123, 126, 125) Scoring that low in CARS is not normally like me. I have scored pretty consist with cars in the 127 area but today I had my 2 month old next to me with a fever and when she would begin to cry my mom would come grab her. I am steadily increasing and will keep everyone informed. Is the NS harder then the AAMC FL?
The general consensus, yes, it is harder than AAMC. When are you planning to switch over to AAMC?