just curious how many spots given per year...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YellowRose

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,

just wondering if anyone knew how many scholarships are given out each year for each branch. I remember hearing somewhere, although i'm not sure how reliable this is, that the navy gives out only about 50 4 year scholarships, and the rest of the docs come from USUHS. any info on other branches?

Members don't see this ad.

Rose-

Each year there are about 50 graduates from USUHS for the Navy and 275 HPSP graduates this year (2003), but in 2004 there will only be 215 HPSP graduates. I can't say how many are 4-year, 3-year, or 2-year scholarships. I think the numbers you posted are actually reversed. There are far more HPSP students than USUHS.

You didn't ask, but the Navy typically places all USUHS graduates and about 195 HPSP graduates in internships (GME-1 positions) each year (total of 257 inservice spots are available each year). The remaining graduates are either selected for full, or 1-year deferments.

For what it's worth I'm a prior-service Naval officer and I turned down a USUHS acceptance (something I regret, in part) and took a 3-year HPSP. I'd be happy to answer any other questions I can, here or via Private Message/email. I'm not a recruiter in any way, shape or form!

Spang

anyone heard anything 'official' about placement for USUHS vs. HPSP grads? i've heard that USUHS grads tend to get their first choice residency / GMO tour more often than HPSP grads (simply because the USUHS grads have to do military residencies and the military feels that they will get more quality years of service out of a USUHS grad than a HPSP grad.) any truth to such rumors? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
brats-

"Officially" the GME process is controlled by a multi-service board which assigns values to each doctor's application based on a variety of things, none of which are USUHS vs. HPSP. However there is a considerable amount of points awarded for suitability to service, so there is some subjecivity.

That said, the cases of the last two flight surgeons from my command; one was a DO who had transferred to a DO school from an MD school, he did a transitional residency at Bethesda and after two years of GMO got one of 3 opthalmology spots. The other was a naval academy grad, former aviator (NFO) and went to USUHS; he did not get a military residency so is doing radiology FTOS. I have never heard of preference given to USUHS grads.

Bottom line is after GMO tour the USUHS grad probably still owes 5 years of service vs. 0-2 for HPSP, but if both did a surgery residency (for example) the USUHS grad would still owe 5 years and now so would the HPSP. (committments run concurrently)

Hope this helps,

Spang

There was definitely no difference in GMO tour assignment with USUHS vs HPSP in my internship class. I think USUHS may have had a slight advantage in getting accepted to DMO training because of people they had met along the way and the ability to do rotations with DMOs in interesting places to "show interest" as medical students. I am a product of a 4 year HPSP, and played the game right in early internship by getting to know the appropriate people, doing a 2 week DMO elective, etc. to secure a spot. When our billet list came out, it made no difference where we went to med-school.

Remeber, USUHS grads must take a military internship, while HPSP have the option for a civilian deferment. I would recommend the military internship, but I had a DMO classmate who came from a civilian OB-GYN internship. Also remember, just because someone is from USUHS doesn't mean they'll automatically suck up one of the desirable internship spots. They have to do a military internship, which means some (not many) can end up in places no one else wants to be (FP, Psych, etc.). HPSP can always go out to civilian for a PGY 1 surgery spot, etc. if the Navy doesn't have room. Most people I know got their first or second choice for internship (location or specialty). Transitional, Surgery and Peds internships are the hardest to get, Psych and IM are the easiest.

DD

Navy Dive Doc is absolutely correct. All USUHS grads are giving a internship, but not necessarily their first choice. We do have an advantage in that we do only military hospital rotations our third and fourth years which allows us to meet the right people.

ENS Rotatores

Originally posted by Navy Dive Doc
Transitional, Surgery and Peds internships are the hardest to get, Psych and IM are the easiest.

So, can I pretty much bank on being able to procure a Navy Psych internship?

If I get the internship, what are the chances of going straight-through (in the same program, assuming I make a good impression as an intern).

You can bank on Psych, just not on Balboa