Just curious

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdea

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When i was in high school i knew a guy who had a blood shoot eye for a certain period of time. his eye was a deep red. not sure if i am using the right terminology, but i had a hard time looking at his eye with out mine getting all watery. Is optometry something i can do?

Members don't see this ad.

You will have to answer that one one your own, but I will give you an idea of what you will see as an OD. Patients will be coming in with bacterial conjuncitivitis and puss coming out of their eye. Metal workers will come in with metal stuck in their cornea. This is a very short list of what you will see, but it is also things you will be treating as an OD. I would suggest you saddow an OD that see a lot of pathology. You go and shaddow an ophthalmologist doing surgery. If you can handle watching that, you should be fine.

There are students in my class that freak-out when the prof. shows us a surgery or a badly infected eye. If you can't handle watching these things, you will difficulty with many aspects of this profession. I never really liked IV's, simple shots didn't bother me, but leaving a larger needle in a vein for a while just didn't sit well with me. So I started giving plasma for a summer. Everytime I went, I watched as they inserted it in my vein. Now everytime I have the chance to give blood, I do it and watch as they stick it in my arm. What I'm saying is you can probably get over your sympathetic tearing. Just go to the library and pick-up an ocular diesease text and force yourself to look at it. All-in-all, optometry is a pretty clean profession, but gross stuff will come into your office pretty regularly.

Good luck.

CDEA,

You'll get over your problem if you really want to do optometry. I was a little queasy myself the first time I saw a live LASIK, the first time I saw a live cataract, and most definitely the first time I saw a retina surgeon pumping silicone oil out of an eyeball. But if you see enough of them, you forget about exactly what you're watching and concentrate on the details anyway.

Case in point is gross anatomy. It's never pleasant to see a cadaver for the first time, or touch it, or stick a knife in it. But somehow all 80 people in my class managed to get through an entire semester of it, and no one dropped out just because of it. And from my experience, a cadaver is a psychologically a little harder to deal with than a bloody eye.

If you really like the profession as a whole, the squeamishness won't be a problem.

Tom Stickel
Indiana U. 2001